Elliott family - Hillsborough, Sheffield

Dear all,

have been doing my family history research for some time now and have found some interesting information about my dad's side of the family.

My name is Chris Elliott and my great grandfather was Harry Elliott, who was a policeman in Sheffield. He lived in his early years at 5 Lawson Street, with his siblings Thomas, Minnie, Frank, Nellie, Alice and Ernest. His parents were Thomas and Ellen (nee Perkins).

Thomas Elliott served in South Africa in 1901 I believe and also served in the West Yorkshire Regt during the Great War at the ripe old age of 52! He was given the Silver War Badge after being discharged in 1916.

Harry married Lucy Allen and had two children (Kathleen and Dennis - my grandfather).

Does anyone have any connections with this family that maybe might have more information or original documents to aid my research? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

Not sure if related but my grandfather was Thomas Elliott who lived on Malton Lane in Sheffield. He had three sons, Tom, Edward and Ken, and one daughter Betty.

Scott Elliott

Hi Chris,

I am also researching my dads side.....his father Ernest came from a large family in Sheffield. I have heard my father speak of his Aunt Alice and Uncle Frank.

This is what I have found.......Ernest Elliott born late 1890's served in Coldstream Guards. Died 1942. His wife Helen nee. Bellingham born 1899-1977. Children....

Ernest 1920-1998. Joan 1922-1995. Terence 1935 still living (my father)

Interesting don't you think?

Robert.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 22:19 ----------

Hi Chris,

I am also researching my dads side.....his father Ernest came from a large family in Sheffield. I have heard my father speak of his Aunt Alice and Uncle Frank.

This is what I have found.......Ernest Elliott born late 1890's served in Coldstream Guards. Died 1942. His wife Helen nee. Bellingham born 1899-1977. Children....

Ernest 1920-1998. Joan 1922-1995. Terence 1935 still living (my father)

Interesting don't you think?

Robert.

Very interesting. What sources have you been able to find in your research?

I only started researching the same day I sent the message to you! I was surfing the forum getting the feel of it as I had just become a member.

Its been something I have been meaning to do for years.

Anyway the other week my father was re-living his youth with events that happened when he was very young about visiting his aunt Alice and her brother Frank. They were other family members but but he was not sure of their names.

I know my father has his fathers medals/photos.

Obviously its early days and I do intend to go down the route of ancestry sites etc. Thought it was interesting and similar to your findings that..... Frank, Alice, Ernest born around the same time in Sheffield and from a large family.

I will be visiting my father soon so I will see if he can recall any more info.

I remember an Elliot family (several children) living on King James St, 6 in the 50s/60s, I believe they all went to London.

A very successful professional racing cyclist [Malcolm Elliot] used to live in the Hillsborough area.

I used to see him training up the Rivelin Valley in the eighty's [i thought I was stood still when he would pass me going up hill].

He is still around the local cycling scene I believe.

1911 census - 5 Lawson St. Sheffield.

Thomas Elliott 48yrs, file forger and Ellen his wife aged 41yrs.

Children: Thomas aged 20yrs, machine file cutter.

Harry aged 17yrs, file forger.

Minnie aged 15yrs, at home.

Frank aged 12, school.

Nellie aged 9yrs, school.

Maurice aged 7yrs, school.

Alice aged 5yrs, school.

Ernest aged 2yrs.

Moira.

Thanks Moira for the information confirming that Elliott family can't be related to ours, my grandfather Ernest was born earlier.