4x4 use on houndkirk by way (fox house)

Yes, it might be 'fun' but do you care one jot if there's no countryside to churn up in the future because you were so selfish in your mission to ruin it all:mad:

erm but that wont happen because they are only a very few number of tracks which are open to vehicles, more than 99% is not, so its just the walkers who are left to ruin the countryside.

I don't even own a 4x4 but I think its ridiculous that some walkers go up in arms over them using about 5 different lanes, why not simply go to the other million places where 4x4s do not go.

As for the environmental reasons that's just laughable, if you cared about the environment you wouldn't be using the internet and consuming goods, in a capitalist society, that will actively destroy any resource to make money.

Go live in a tent and only eat vegetables then your environmental complaint maybe acceptable.

To be fair though, greenlaning is pretty dull.

Compared to joining a proper off-road club, where you get to use quarry's and farmers land and go round the courses they set up.

Look at stuff like Comp safari and team recovery on youtube.

Peak and Dukeries Land Rover club arrange this sort of stuff, and there are general 4x4 clubs with everything from Justy's to Delicas.

Thanks for the links. It backs up what I thought really. Personally, I struggle to understand how anyone thinks it's OK to cause environmental destruction and create noise pollution in a rural area. It's bad enough having pollution and congestion in urban areas without ruining what's left of our countryside as well. What sort of polluted enviroment are future generations going to inherit? All for the sake of wannabe Jeremy Clarksons churning up the countryside in a 4x4 :rolleyes:

Have you ever been out with a group of responsible 4x4 drivers? Do you have any idea what "greenlaning" is...do you have any idea how much 4x4 drivers hold Clarkson in contempt..you're not tarring everyone with the same brush are you?

I must be a 4x4 owner of the Clarkson ilk I'm afraid. As for "churning up the countryside" and "environment pollution" I don't give a fig about it, life is too short to worry over such trivia. Get a 4x4 get out there and give it a go, you never know you may enjoy it.

It's only because of illness I have had to curtail my off road adventures, environment pollution and churning up the countryside - bah humbug.

Angel.

I'm obviously completely wrong about this. I'm so sorry. I'm going to buy a 4x4 now and will go off roading across the moors this weekend.

For a bit of extra spice, let me know your addresses so I can drive through your gardens on my way back. I'm sure you won't mind about the noise or ploughing up your lawns and plants - life's too short to worry about these things :)

Not quite right: 4x4's *can* go up, but the responsible drivers choose not to. There are two sorts of off-roaders: those who like 'green laning' and use 'normal' tyres, and there are those with big lumpy mud plugging tyres that tear the countryside up. The responsible ones want to keep their hobby, and will do what they can to avoid confrontation with other lane users, and help keep the lanes clear: trimming overgrown hedges etc, filling potholes...

I'm glad that there are off-roaders with a sense of responsibility, and an awareness of the damage that the hobby does - I had no idea that they did practical work to keep the lanes in good order.

But the comments from Angelfire1, damageandy and Greengeek reinforce my belief that there are enough irresponsible off-roaders that the damage will continue, until the authorities have no option but to close lanes to motorised traffic (such has already happened at Chapel Gate).

For a bit of extra spice, let me know your addresses so I can drive through your gardens on my way back. I'm sure you won't mind about the noise or ploughing up your lawns and plants - life's too short to worry about these things :)

Do you actually know what greenlaning is?

I must be a 4x4 owner of the Clarkson ilk I'm afraid. As for "churning up the countryside" and "environment pollution" I don't give a fig about it, life is too short to worry over such trivia. Get a 4x4 get out there and give it a go, you never know you may enjoy it.

It's only because of illness I have had to curtail my off road adventures, environment pollution and churning up the countryside - bah humbug.

Angel.

Yeah thats the spirit, life is too short, lets just wreck owt if its fun, who cares, leave it all for the kids to sort out, then we can carry on behaving like big kids ourselves, yipeee!

Don't drive alone, always best to have at least one other 4x4, and has been already said, please stick to the track, don't head off onto the moors. There are gates at each end which will need to be closed when you have gone through. Enjoy it!

And beware the moon.

Yes, it is a road: responsible offroaders will not go up Stanage Edge from the cattle grid though, only down. Members of the Landie Series 2 club were out there repairing drains a few weeks back.

The phrase "responsible offroaders" is a contradiction in terms as the very act of driving off road is irresponsible. If you want to enjoy the views on the morrland tracks, walk or cycle it.

The phrase "responsible offroaders" is a contradiction in terms as the very act of driving off road is irresponsible. If you want to enjoy the views on the morrland tracks, walk or cycle it.

Don't be so silly! Green lanes are public roads.

hi does anyone know if it is ok to take a 4x4 on the houndkirk road (by way) just up from fox house, i have been told by a few people that u can but i wanted to make sure u can before i take my kids for a drive up there:)

It is legal but hardly moral as many people use the road to escape the threat of vulgar excessive 4X4 cars.You own a car not a toy and if this is what you want go to a go kart track or the funfair where young and old can pass a day wasting both time and petrol.