Has anyone been on a tour of town hall?

yes YES YES and er yes I think I have

It was great I sat in the lord mayors chair and then the guide left the office and I wore the lord mayors tricorner hat!

wooo!

thats my claim to fame

whenever I see it now I say Ive worn that hat!

how many people can say that ay?

-Mr Purple

[currently wearing an exciting new hat]

Council website says:

FREE Tours of Town Hall in August

Tours of Sheffield Town Hall take place at 2pm each weekday in August until Friday 26th. There is no need to book, just turn up. Tours last between 30 and 45 minutes.

yes i went in 2002.

it was great, especially those pictures of ex-mayors all over the walls of one room. they all look like characters from a dickens novel.

good view from the room behind the balcony (opposite somerfield).

so if you're into massive chandeliers and stuff (and let's face it who isn't), and you've got an anorak, go there!

Just got round to doing this today. It's interesting to see the inside of the building and well worth the 0p admission charge :)

It happens at 2pm every day in summer, last tour this year is the last working day of August. It takes an hour and it's well worthwhile.

Does anyone please know if these are on this year??

And if so are the arrangements the same? 2pm everyday?

Sorry just realised that if i went back up through the thread there was an email address that I put on. Doh

Have mailed in the hope it is still the same person and she hasn't been made redundant. Will see what happens now.

Edited by fuzzy
Being crap

OK the above email address no longer works

I went on a tour of the town hall - it was good, really interesting to see the differet rooms although I can remember the guide raving about the matchstick model and me thinking 'you need to get a life!'

There are Heritage Open days in Sheffield every year (not sure when this started) but this year it is 7-10 September.

We went around Cutlers Hall last year and the Town Hall. All for free

Here is a link to the website - nothing on there yet but keep an eye on it for more details

https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/visiting

I used to take parties of Primary schoolkids. Tour guides used to try and make it interesting - letting kids try on Lord mayors hat, feel the weight of the LM's chain, stuff like that.

Don't know if they still do it, but Kids enjoyed it

And can I just add that any Citizen is allowed to go in the town hall and sit in the gallery at council meetings and watch the proceedings. You can even table a question (like on question time, but you don't get to read it out yourself,) and get an answer.

It's certainly interesting to see your local councillor in action (or not...) and more people should do it.

Edited by Anna B

Me and my family have had a full tour last year, it was fantastic very informative and with a few good stories along the way.

I managed to ask Tony Damms (Labour Councillor) to give the tour, it was worth the wait for a gap in his busy schedule, as he was a veritable font of info, facts and figures, we also managed to speak to the Mayor in their Chambers room, A brilliant tour if truth be told