Anyone remember the Nine O'clock Service?

I have just found a documentary about Chris Brain and his evangelising at St Thomas Church. Seems like he had everyone fooled and lots of sex on tap. I was in London at the time but did know a couple of people who told me they had been part of this when I moved back up here.

There was an old thread on here about NOS but can't find it now so maybe it's been deleted?

I went once with a friend and was pretty inpressed with the dance music and psychodelic/hypnotic imagery but, after meeting him once, I thought that Brain was the slimiest little t**t i'd ever met :hihi:. I saw the fall out too after the exposure, there were an awful lot of very confused 'lost' people trying to live with it.

It had quite a big following at it's height though

I was told by some people I know that used to go that it was all about drug taking and grooming women for sex.

I'm looking for former members of the Nine O'Clock Service to interview for my thesis, so if any former members are reading this, I would really like to talk to you.

With kind regards

Mark

I was never a member but I was taken there once. A unique experience.

Happy to discuss if one visit is any good.

I can't message you because I haven't enough posts, but hopefully we could have a Skype conversation some time :-) That's if you are comfortable with that :)

Thanks for the link I've just watched the whole programme. Interesting stuff. Impressions :

That middle class people from a relatively privileged are so naïve. I'm still amazed and a bit taken aback when so called intelligent people talk about "God". How terribly sad that is.

Interesting that the people on the programme described as having a leadership role are quick to abdicate all responsibility about the abuse that took place and are very keen to project all the blame on to the church hierarchy. I suppose they all sit around in their middle class "encounter" group and reinforce each other willingness to pass the blame onto others. Funny how they use swear words to emphasise their "bloody" anger you can almost sense the clenched fist outrage.

These people weren't children (chronologically anyway) or from an economically deprived poor background.

It must be difficult to look in the mirror and to recognise how stupid they all were.

Full marks to the brave woman who tried to do something about things before working with the homeless in London. When she was being vilified I wonder how many of the ones on the programme stood up for her ?

• Like 1

Mod Note:

May I remind users, that it is not okay to release personal details of others on the forum. We consider personal details things like house numbers and street name.

As this was done, any posts referring to them have been removed.

If you, or anyone, have personal information you would like to share with the original poster, please contact them via PM.

Thanks.

I knew a couple of members of his 'congregation'. Before the truth hit the news they would have told you that he was the Messiah. Afterwards they both claimed that they knew all along what he was up to. Haven't seen either of them for a long time but I've heard that they've both moved on to a new cult. This is what cultists with a need to feel different do.

I think it was the Charles Manson bit that got me!...that little fact was kept under the bonnet.