Getting a static IP

Waldo

Hello,

I need a static IP address, to access a website that uses a whilte-list IP, for security. My ISP is VM, and they don't do static IP for home users. Are there any web services I can use to access this site, via a static IP?

Thanks,

Hello,

I need a static IP address, to access a website that uses a whilte-list IP, for security. My ISP is VM, and they don't do static IP for home users. Are there any web services I can use to access this site, via a static IP?

Thanks,

On virgin, yes you technically have a dynamic IP, however if I recall correct the IP's they use have a lease time of about 4 hours so as long as you don't turn your router off for 4 or more hours it wont change.

Hello,

Thanks,

Above poster is correct, i work for VM and so long as router isnt off for 4 hours or more your IP Wont change.

It would mean I have to leave my router on all the time, and if there is a power-cut, or my router breaks down, I could lose my IP. It's probably not reliable enough for my purposes.

Is there any other way? Other than changing ISP?

Why exactly is it not reliable enough? Routers are designed to be left on 24/7. Power cuts are rare. The router failing, its not like it would happen often.

Surely you would be able to update your IP address if it was to change, as they can't expect you to keep even the same static IP address forever.

As you are on VM the only other option as mentioned is a VPN, which is probably going to be costly and seriously overkill JUST for a static IP. It could end up being cheaper to leave VM and switch to a DSL provider instead who supports a static IP.

I believe Be still support a static IP or Origin (see my sig) if you are in a Digital Region enabled area.

May I ask what service it is that are so paranoid they feel a static IP is essential for security? I have only heard of it mentioned regarding some work-at-home schemes, which I believe are against VM terms and conditions of use anyway as you are not supposed to use the connection for business purposes.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Still not sure as to the suitability of proposed solutions

I will be acessing the support forum of a company I am doing business with. They require me to provide them a static IP, so they can add it to their IP white-list. I need my IP on the white-list to access their forums etc.

I think VM may have static IP on their business packages, may need to switch or go with PlusNet.

Unless it is possible by some other means?

Am a bit unfamiliar (dim) with VPN and DynDNS.

EDIT. Posted before reading your post Alex. Yeah, I leave my router on all the time anyhow. Even if I just reset it, will it retain the same IP? Will do some tests...

Edited by Waldo

seriously, if they are able to resolve hostnames instead of using an IP (which it should work) then look into DYNDNS

Basically, you run a small piece of software (some routers even support it internally) and if your IP changes, it sends the info to the DYNDNS Service, who update your IP on thier system, so that the chosen hostname resolves to your IP, Always...