In it for the money

Does anyone on here earn their living writing? I know that we have many budding fiction writers on this board but what about beyond that? Journalists? Features writers? Freelancers in any field?

Just asking...

In a way...I research & write grant applications for charities and voluntary groups. I think that it uses and develops my writing skills as I have to present projects in a way that makes funders want to support them. I like to think any talent I might have is not totally wasted anyway!

I'm just reading 'The Paris Wife' about Ernest Hemingway. In this story he feels that his journalism totally gets in the way of his creative writing. I can't help thinking that he was very wrong to see it that way - surely the two aspects of his writing fed each other?

I think that I agree with Hemingway. I can understand how he might have felt that the time spent on journalism (to pay the bills) would have been time that he couldn't work on fiction (to satisfy the inner artist).

I lived off my book royalties for two years, but my desire to write has waned over the years and I've not had a book out since 2003.

I do the odd job freelancing but it's incredibly difficult to live solely off freelance journalism as the work isn't highly paid (I had a column in PC Zone and even that paid surprisingly little for the work involved).

It's definitely not an easy job! You can earn a decent salary but you have to bust your butt to do it!

I make my living out of writing. I'm trained as a journalist though and used to work on a newspaper - then ventured into the world of freelancing. As Karis said, it's not an easy job but I've managed to build up a few regular clients who keep me busy. Personally, I've had to change my services to meet with people's needs in order to 'keep up'.

There's not much money in pure freelance journalism these days (well, not in my experience anyway) as newspapers don't have the budgets. However, more and more people are wanting website writing (particularly SEO writing) and writing for email newsletters etc, so this is where I tend to focus my time at the moment. It's all about keeping up with what people want!

http://www.jdfwriting.com

I considered copy writing but didn't really know where to start. You can earn money from selling short stories but it isn't much and the publishers hold all the cards - it took me 4 months to get paid for the last short story I sold!

I'd love to earn my living from book royalties - maybe one day!

I'd love to earn my money from book royalties too! Just need to think of that bestseller first.

Sales copy writing can and does pay huge amounts.

Specifically internet marketing, high converting sales and squeeze pages. Either working freelance or selling your own products. Any good copywriter will be in demand.

I initially trained in Journalism but moved into Business. It's funny how things come right back around and you find yourself using old skills just in a different way!

Has anyone got or anybody know anyone who has Real life story they wish to feature in Magazine?? Inbox me for details and if you fit the criteria. Can earn upto £500.00??