Experience - just how important is it?

Bear with me, bit of a rant..

For the last year, I've been trying desperately to get back into work (haven't we all you may say!) But, the main thing I've been coming up against - the phrase "Experience is a must" Yeah great in some situations, but surely a little unfair? Just because someone hasn't done that specific role before, surely their ability to carry out certain tasks shouldn't be ignored?

For example, jobs I have applied for have said "Experience in Open Office, and general secretarial skills" I have all those, maybe not in paid employment, but as a secretary of two clubs, both of which I have to keep spread sheets on costings, make sure emails are sent, recieved ones are dealt with, judges are paid, paperwork is done (Over 500 pages per show on average). I am responsible for adhering to rules, protecting confidentiality, and making sure books are kept for audit once a year.

It seems that because none of my skills were gained, or have been used in employment yet, they are cast aside.

I ask the employers on this forum, is "Experience" really necessary?

Edited by *Peaches*

Another point regarding experience, is not all experience makes for a better employee. For example, being within the telesales industry in the past, I've encountered many ways of training, a lot of it quite forceful and agressive which I don't agree with. Surely its easier and better to train someone afresh sometimes, than to battle against pre existing training and idea's

*gets off her soap box*

Hey *Peaches*,

Just looking at your beautifully written and punctuated posts, it's quite clear that you have plenty of experience.

Keep going - if I can see this, then others will too :)

I really wish you all the very best in finding what you're looking for.

Take care,

S x

Hey *Peaches*,

Just looking at your beautifully written and punctuated posts, it's quite clear that you have plenty of experience.

Keep going - if I can see this, then others will too :)

I really wish you all the very best in finding what you're looking for.

Take care,

S x

Thank you for your lovely reply, it caught me off guard :hihi: Its not what I was expecting at all!

Are you highlighting all that in your cv/application forms ? It seems perfectly valid to me, in fact many moons ago at a job club session (told you it was a long time ago !) I was shown a video where a situation similar to yours was used to get a job.

Keep at it, I think the problem is that alot of people just might have more experience than you, it doesn't make yours any less valid in my opinion.

Sometimes it's how we present our experience rather than whether we have it or not

I've blagged my way into jobs I never should have got, and have successfully coached Mr Strix into doing the same

If you want an eye casting over your CV, and a pep chat, you know where I am :thumbsup:

If its the fact non paid experience is holding you back, just say it was paid experience how is the enployer to know? The means justify the end result. I would split test your cv, you have nothing to lose!

Well, don't actually say it is paid because that is grounds for immediate removal from your job if it was found out in the future that you lied, however there is no reason to specify whether it is paid or not, in fact I'm not sure I have ever included whether a job was paid or not on the CV.

For example, don't call that section "employment history", call it "work history"

The point is what she is doing isnt working, so she needs to do something different.