What's a good *free* virus checker?

Can I ask which one you do have?

I might go for that; thanks.

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials

Works brilliantly for me.

It's free and I don't even notice it unless an attempt is made to infect my computer and it checks for updates daily & installs them automatically without fussing you about it.

Its just a bloated Norton wannabe - can't stand it!

11 posts in...Godwins antivirus law :rolleyes:

11 posts in...Godwins antivirus law :rolleyes:

I was (half) joking....

I solely rely on Microsoft security essentials and AVG free 2012, never get a virus or anything like that,

i suggest this to everyone, people on here will probably disagree, but iv use'd this for year's and never had a virus etc get through and attack

You shouldn't have both running at the same time though - either MSE or AVG but not both.

You shouldn't have both running at the same time though - either MSE or AVG but not both.

Why? as said further up thread someone said avg let a virus through but mse got it..

Is their a reason why not both?

thnx

Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes keep me virus free x

Why? as said further up thread someone said avg let a virus through but mse got it..

Is their a reason why not both?

thnx

Yes - they make each other less effective. Get rid of AVG - its rubbish anyway.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/How-do-I-uninstall-antivirus-or-antispyware-programs

If you use more than one antivirus or antispyware program at the same time, your PC may experience decreased performance, become unstable, or restart unexpectedly. Before you install Microsoft Security Essentials, or if you want to resolve issues with Microsoft Security Essentials, including installation issues, you must first completely remove any Internet security programs from your PC.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/compatibility-of-security-essentials-with-avg/637e4676-8b77-4421-8ae8-9363480e6ac1

http://superuser.com/questions/50478/does-microsoft-essentials-work-with-avg

Edited by stereolab

COMODO Internet Security - every time! It's not just AV, its malware and firewall too! Also, don't just rely on AV - you need anti-malware too - SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes.

The free AV's give protection against all types of Malware. It doesn't hurt to have an extra on demand scanner installed though.

MSE in combination with MBAM pro works for me.

So whats wrong with Norton. I have never had a problem with, doesnt cause any issues and nothing has ever got through it.

Oh, i know what it is, you have to pay for it.

So whats wrong with Norton. I have never had a problem with, doesnt cause any issues and nothing has ever got through it.

Oh, i know what it is, you have to pay for it.

Well, yes - why pay for something when you can get better protection for free?

Paying for AV software doesn't make you safer, just poorer.