Anyone noticed ASDA doing rip-off DVD's?

Went in to buy the kids Puss in Boots and picked up what I thought was the exact thing as it had the same cgi looking cat on it but didn't really think to check for a disney or pixar or official name as I was in a rush. Got it home to find it's some cheap foreign badly dubbed cgi version. and its called Puss N Boots.

There was also one that looked exactly like disney version of Tangled but it was called Tangled up, the 'UP' was very small so it looked like Tangled.

be very careful when buying.

Might the police want to know before you take them back to Asda for an explanation and a refund.

Might the police want to know before you take them back to Asda for an explanation and a refund.

The DVDs aren't Pirated, even ASDA wouldn't be that daft, they're just poorly packaged copies of Disney movies, the worst crime would be copyright infringement, which is a civil matter nowt to do with the rozzers.

Edited by Rich
spelling, and I'm usually so good at it! D'oh!

That bloody ASDA. What are they like? I went to get some shoes and bought 8's instead of 9's.They looked exactly the same.Perhaps I should have looked at the label.What a rip off!

Yes, there are loads about but usually in Poundland

For instance Sleepy Hollow, a different but similarly styled cover to the movie, really a made-for-tv production.

Nothing illegal, but a little bit sly, morally speaking it is obvious the attempt is there to deceive, but all the information is there - just a case of caveat emptor

The DVDs aren't Pirated, even ASDA wouldn't be that daft, they're just poorly packaged copies of Disney movies, the worst crime would be copyright infringement, which is a civil matter nowt to do with the rozzers.

I'm not the brightest spark but what's the difference between pirate and poor copies?

Please enlighten me what the difference is. Or have you been on the orange juice again.

I'm not the brightest spark but what's the difference between pirate and poor copies?

A pirate is a copy of the film not licensed to be sold, the 'poor copy' this guy is referring to just means it's a similar story, characters etc but it's not actually an exact copy of 'Puss in Boots'.

'Poor copy' is a bit misleading really, it's not a 'copy' of the film, it's just a similar film with a similar name.

Whoever said inform the police is a moron.

Pirated stuff is illegal, and like I said, no Supermarket chain, especially not one as big as ASDA would be silly enough to sell them, all they're selling is inferior versions of movies created by other companies but with the same name, for example a while back I bought a DVD Puss in Boots from Tesco for £4, I knew it wasn't the new one, that came out on DVD/Blu Ray last week, but I thought sod it it's only 4 quid I'll buy it anyway.

they cost a few dabloons more jim lad, ah arrrrhg!!

Please enlighten me what the difference is. Or have you been on the orange juice again.

Pirated, a copy of the actual Disney DVD

Copy of, in this case, means a cheaper remake version of the same film. using different animation, and different voices

Why not take them back anyway? Asda might accomodate you.

Mate of mine bought an album from MVC in Barnsley some years back and decided after listening to it that it was crap. He took it back to the shop on the grounds that it was indeed crap, and they eventually relented and gave a full cash refund.

Part of your statutory rights is that the item purchased has to fulfill the purpose it was intended for, and if it is of too low quality to entertain, which if it is anything like the ones I know of (Battle For L.A. - which was released at the same time as Battlefield L.A., Legend Man/I Am Omega/etc... - was released about the time of I Am Legend) then they most certainly do not fulfill the high quality entertainment expectations for which they were bought. They should therefor have to take the product back and give a full cash refund (not store credit) by law.

Ask in store, they might just surprise you by saying they'll swap the item.