Sick of nuisance phone calls

I am at the end of my tether now.....at least 3 times a day does the phone ring and at the other end is a recorded message ....usually begins with 'Hello' at this point I just slam the phone down

it just rang and I picked it up ... very authoritive voice.....THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT MESS........ at that point slammed the phone down

can these be stopped does anyone know

I am ex directory so I am fuming how they have got my number, and if other companies or selling it on then this is a disgrace and needs to stopped

rant over......but I am still sick of it :rant:

Ibought a trucall 2 years ago, haven't had one cold caller getting through to us,

well worth the money. :thumbsup:

Looked on TPS webpage and unfortunately it does no stop the recorded message phone calls, it is only for live callers.

The TPS site says

"Organisations that use recorded phone message to try and sell or promote their products or services have to comply with the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. These say that marketers who leave recorded phone messages must obtain prior consent from the subscriber before they can make such a call."

So you must agree to these calls before they make them otherwise the company responsible is breaking the regulations and you should contact these people

The Information Commissioners Office

Tele: 03031231113

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

Pay your bills then you wont get these calls.

Its usualy a debt collector or something of that ilk.

thats rubbish, we pay all our bills and still get nuisance phone calls, and yes, we are registered with the TPS

Yesterday, a woman called me while I was in town, she sounded Indian, and I could barely make out a word she said, she asked how I was 5 times before I understood her. I told her I was fine, and she said "oh good I'm fine too"

She then said she was someone from somewhere, and had to repeat herself 5 times, and I still couldn't get what she said. I just said I'm not interested. She said "what?" I said I'M NOT INTERESTED. She then proceeded to say "What do you mean not interested? Not interested in what?" - I told her, I'm not interested in her, at which point she asked if I would like to speak to a colleague instead then :hihi:

thats rubbish, we pay all our bills and still get nuisance phone calls, and yes, we are registered with the TPS

:hihi:I was only kidding.

Guest sibon

The TPS does help. It won't stop all junk calls, but it will thin them down a bit.

Another way of combatting this is to be careful with your personal data. Look very carefully at the little boxes at the end of every form that you fill in. Make sure that you refuse to allow anyone to share your data with third parties.

Read the boxes carefully though as they are sometimes worded in a misleading way.

The TPS site says

"Organisations that use recorded phone message to try and sell or promote their products or services have to comply with the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. These say that marketers who leave recorded phone messages must obtain prior consent from the subscriber before they can make such a call."

So you must agree to these calls before they make them otherwise the company responsible is breaking the regulations and you should contact these people

The Information Commissioners Office

Tele: 03031231113

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

Maybe they do then, I dont know, I was only going by their FAQ saying recorded messages do not fall withing he remit of TPS.

from TPS FAQ

Recorded and automated sales calls including silent calls do not fall within the remit of TPS. TPS does not stop other call types such as market research, debt collection, scam calls and general nuisance calls.

I have this too. They ring and the recoded message tells you to ring this or that premium number if you want to 'opt out' of these calls. I didn't even opt in!"!

How do they know I have anything with PPI on it anyway? Are the banks leaking this information?

We have TPS and it works very well until a company ignores it.Then the TPS service has no teeth to tackle such companies. On the two occasions I have reported companies, the first was BT, TPS did their investigation but BT denied all knowledge. TPS took their word and gave up. The second company had false details at companies house, and so TPS gave up trying to find them.

Have you thought about getting one of these: http://www.truecall.co.uk ?

Ibought a trucall 2 years ago, haven't had one cold caller getting through to us,

well worth the money. :thumbsup:

Same here. I often say that if there is one person whose hand I would like to shake, it is the fella that invented Truecall or as I call it, the Rottweiler.......wouldn't like to be without it now.

http://www.truecall.co.uk/

I'm on the TPS database, doesn't stop multiple calls a day from international numbers or unavailable ones. For the past 3 weeks the phone has been unplugged from the wall - it's not likely it's going to get plugged back in anytime soon either.

Same here. I often say that if there is one person whose hand I would like to shake, it is the fella that invented Truecall or as I call it, the Rottweiler.......wouldn't like to be without it now.

http://www.truecall.co.uk/

£99

I prefer my solution!