Kwik Fit, rubbish service or am I just being picky?

They fitted new brake disks and pads all round my car, cost a fortune. When I picked it up, they said to be careful when I braked for the first 10 miles or so and that I might also smell burning. Turns out they don't clean off the protective oily film from the disks before they fit them, either because they're too lazy, want to get the job over quickly or want to save money on degreaser!

This is downright dangerous, I won't use them again!!

They fitted new brake disks and pads all round my car, cost a fortune. When I picked it up, they said to be careful when I braked for the first 10 miles or so and that I might also smell burning. Turns out they don't clean off the protective oily film from the disks before they fit them, either because they're too lazy, want to get the job over quickly or want to save money on degreaser!

This is downright dangerous, I won't use them again!!

I am no fan of KF, although they did do a free aircon regas when it didn't work for more than three days after they had recharged it, but you may be doing them a disservice here. When new discs and pads are fitted at the same time it is common to fit what are known as "first run pads" These are brake pads with a very thin abrasive surface layer. The idea is that the abrasive polishes away any gunk or rust that may have accumulated when the parts were in storage. The abrasive layer soon wears away after a few miles by which time the disc surface is clean and run in to the pad to give maximum effect. This is routine practise on production lines and this bedding in and polishing of the discs is normally over by the time the new car gets to the customer.

I am no fan of KF, although they did do a free aircon regas when it didn't work for more than three days after they had recharged it, but you may be doing them a disservice here. When new discs and pads are fitted at the same time it is common to fit what are known as "first run pads" These are brake pads with a very thin abrasive surface layer. The idea is that the abrasive polishes away any gunk or rust that may have accumulated when the parts were in storage. The abrasive layer soon wears away after a few miles by which time the disc surface is clean and run in to the pad to give maximum effect. This is routine practise on production lines and this bedding in and polishing of the discs is normally over by the time the new car gets to the customer.

Where did you get this information from?

When new discs and pads are fitted at the same time it is common to fit what are known as "first run pads" These are brake pads with a very thin abrasive surface layer. The idea is that the abrasive polishes away any gunk or rust that may have accumulated when the parts were in storage. The abrasive layer soon wears away after a few miles by which time the disc surface is clean and run in to the pad to give maximum effect. This is routine practise on production lines and this bedding in and polishing of the discs is normally over by the time the new car gets to the customer.

I've never heard of this, nor ever had any new discs which have had rust on them.

Any "gunk" or protective coating (which should prevent any rush in the first place) is cleaned off with brake cleaner, as per manufacturers instructions.

Where did you get this information from?

First hand experience, I have fitted these myself in the past and have also had them fitted on a company vehicle. Also I have a family member who previously worked for a brake material manufacture and had routine contact with them

I don't mean to be funny lad but that's absolute garbage!! I've just searched the web for "first run brake pads" and there's no mention apart from your post!...There's no excuse for them not cleaning the protective film off the disks with brake cleaner, it's an important safety issue.

Edited by BobbyDazzler

I don't mean to be funny lad but that's absolute garbage!![/quote

I can only speak from my own knowledge. I had them fitted as a full set to a Peugeot pick up by what was Gregory and Dench, and consequently fitted a set to a Sierra I owned. They were manufactured by Mintex at Cleckheaton before they moved the production overseas. I will acknowledge that this experience is some fifteen years ago but the age of the information doesn't mean its garbage

Like I said derek, I meant no disrespect and appologise for any offence. 15 years ago maybe garages could get away with it but these days it's just unacceptable.

Don't use a tyre fitting bay for servicing on your car...

In fact don't use Kwik Fit or similar chain for tyres either.

I used Charlie Browns once, for convenience (Sunday) and the tyre promptly went flat, took it back, they refitted the tyre, it went flat. I told them to check the lacquer on the alloy and they told me to go away and have the wheel blasted and re-lacquered.

I took it to On The Spot tyres who took the tyre off, gave the lacquer a quick rub and clean and refitted the tyre - no further problems for the sake of 2 minutes removing a couple of flakes (the wheel was oldish but not in THAT bad condition to warrant a full restoration)

Kwik Fit I went to once as it was the nearest to get a flat repaired - as it was a nearly new tyre I asked for a puncture repair. They informed me that it was illegal to repair a puncture (before they even looked at it so nothing to do with the location or size of hole). Before they had even seen it they were trying to get a brand new tyre sold.

After I told them where to get off, Hawleys replaced the leaking valve, there was no need for a tyre at all.

Difference is the 2 fast-fit centres are retail outlets with little interest in the fitting other than to make the sale, the two proper places know their stuff and charge fairly - and thus get my recommendation and repeat business

Like I said derek, I meant no disrespect and appologise for any offence. 15 years ago maybe garages could get away with it but these days it's just unacceptable.

No offence taken BobbyDazzler. I do agree standards should have improved but regret to say in some areas there as just as many dodgy buggers about as there ever were. It wasn't really a case of garages getting away with it, it was a production finishing process that was carried over to main agents to save time in the workshops. Maybe modern production standard and materials have relegated this practise to history

Some time ago when to Kwik Fit car needed front exhaust for test was tell to come back in 2 hours fine by me says I .

When back as said picked up car .

On the way to test place car did not steer right got there and told test man one Kwik look said noway would my car pass any test with the way that the exhaust had been fitted and he would not let me drive it back to Kwik Fit.

He take it back for me on his tow truck and telled them to put it right.

Well 5 hours and one broken bracket later car was done to late to take to the test station so had to wait till I could get the car tested .

Rang Kwik Fit with all the details and waited and waited and waited Nothing

Rang Head Office make a big complaint.

Got my money back and expences after 3 month.

Never Again .:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Hi all,

We were concerned to read your comments on this forum.

If you would like to discuss any of your experiences with Kwik Fit directly with us - please contact me at [email protected]

Kind regards,

Andy