Kwik Fit, rubbish service or am I just being picky?

that is disgusting, you should name and shame. :mad:

Shogun, i've just been to another garage near me, not a big name place but a place recommended by a friend. They just told me it needs the anti roll bar changing or tightening and it will cost a tenner.

the kwik fit guys told me it was a leak somewhere and would cost up to £80. says it all really. :|

The anti roll bars are usually rubber bush mounted and the rubbers perish over a long time,sounds like they must have loosened the mounting nuts or something I cant not imagine that they would let a car go out like that with loose mounting nuts, the anti roll bars are are not sort of life threatening if they go they just keep the wheels down on corners and things but I suppose some one who might not know much about these sort of things could easily be misled into paying out for unnecessary work,not a very good work ethic if that is what they are doing they should be brought to boot for that kind of thing they must be desperate for money or something.

Edited by Shogun

Our car exhaust blew outta of it Lambass joint (no idea how to spell it!) it also sheard off its nuts (ouch) Kwik fit wanted to charge us £600 to replace the whole exhaust!!! our local garage fixed it, tightened all round, new nuts etc cost us £30!!!

Kwik fit are thieving barstoods!!

STAY CLEAR!!!!!!!

I hate working on exhausts they are rusty annoying jobs to do,the problem is if you start to work on one part of the exhaust you usually end up having to replace the whole lot as they never seem to come apart,one of my friends brought me his rover 45 to do the exhaust for him KF had quoted £330 to fit a complete new one for him when I got under the car the only thing wrong was the flexy pipe part had a split in it I fitted a new flexy pipe for him and it was fine the rest of the exhaust was like new I asked him for £40 he gave me £50 and gave me a pack of beers as well:)

They had his car up on the thingys (don't know what they're called :hihi: )

So he should have told them to lower his car down off the thingys (ramps). They have no authority to stop you leaving, even if your car was unroad worthy. Of course if you had been nicked on the way home, it would be your fault as the driver, and no one elses.

Angel.

So he should have told them to lower his car down off the thingys (ramps). They have no authority to stop you leaving, even if your car was unroad worthy. Of course if you had been nicked on the way home, it would be your fault as the driver, and no one elses.

Angel.

They actually told him they were bound, by law, to not let him drive his car in an unroadworthy state :hihi:

I'll add more!

There's one branch i've used a few times as it's outside work (not the branch above) - mainly through lack of alternatives and the discount we get through work.

Anyway

Oil change on a Mondeo, simple yes? I even told them the grade of oil it required (5w30). That was not what they poured in it however - 15W40 is what they used, cue flush and correct oil.

Some time later, an oil change on a 406 2L petrol. I drove it for a few days afterwards and noticed the car getting less and less powerful. Wrong oil again, except this time they had to fork out for someone to check for damage to the hydraulic lifters...

On that car they also tried (without me asking) to free off the rear handbrake adjuster. Picture a monkey with oxy acetylene, waving it around under the car! Part of that adjuster mechanism is made of plastic, which strangely wasn't up to the job of surviving a 3000 degree flame. I didn't know about any of this till the handbrake failed a day or so later from them bodging it back together. Went i spoke to them, they took no responsibility and said it wasn't them, then it was them but it wasn't their fault etc etc. They were happy to replace it at cost though, which was £60 more than the parts cost me from Alan Kay in Woodhouse.

I had to change the front suspension on my daughters Micra, so took it to that same branch so it could be done while i was at work. Supposed to be ready at 12 (wasn't), i went back at 5pm and they had just started working on it. Then the battery ran out on the alignment gear so they told me to come back the following day with the job half done. If i thought the car couldn't have driven any worse before i took it in, i was wrong!

On a more positive note, the branch at Wellgate in Rotherham have always been excellent - price match internet, fit tyres to wheels without wrecking alloys and actually know what they're doing.

They actually told him they were bound, by law, to not let him drive his car in an unroadworthy state :hihi:

Nah, they are telling porkies. Police and VOSA are the only agencies that can prohibit you from driving your car. The Fuel "dippers" may be able to do the same if you are on red derv instead of the highly taxed white derv, not sure if these clowns operate under VOSA or not. Kwick-Fit and Charlie-Browns to my knowledge have no link to VOSA or the Coppers.

Angel.

had mot and service last year at Kwik, fit this year went to a large well known garage they told me who ever did the last service, cross threeded my sump oil plug and it was held in with the help of pdf tape i rest my case never again

had mot and service last year at Kwik, fit this year went to a large well known garage they told me who ever did the last service, cross threeded my sump oil plug and it was held in with the help of pdf tape i rest my case never again

PTF tape would not have held it in at all they will have crossed threaded and damaged it and been unable to screw it fully tight so they will have put PTF tape around the thread to stop it leaking oil out, how did the the other garage cure the fault that is what I would have asked.

Phoned them up to book a full service for my car as the engine light and oil light were showing on the dashboard (which after checking meant it needed to be serviced asap). They gave me a price of £165 for the full monty basically so as im only doing once a year or two i thought i'd go for it.

On arrival i was told the price had changed to £185, i told him they'd mentioned £165 but he said his colleague will have said £185 and i must have misheard him (which wasn't true because i'd shopped around first and 165 seemed the most reasonable) so i reluctantly agreed and left it with them at 1.30pm. I was told to return in 2 and a half hours.

I returned to pick it up at 4pm which was half an hour later than agreed and was told it would be another hour! :mad: so i left again. when i returned at 5pm it then took another half hour. I was told everything they'd done and was asked if i'd heard a slight knocking from the back wheel axle. I said no, but he insisted i must have done as there was something wrong with it now? I drove off and could now clearly hear a loud knocking, thudding coming from the back of the car, i've only noticed this since the service.

I have driven the car to Bridlington at the weekend with the kids in it and it was fine, just the dashboard lights on, also been to Notts and Cleethorpes and never heard the sound it is now making.

The best bit is that the dashboard lights showing an engine symbol and oil can still light up and stay on for a few seconds after ignition. The lad who came out to take a second look said 'oh it will do that, it's normal' even though the other lights stay off.

Now, is it just me being picky, obnoxious or moaning? or is it worth going back and complaining about it?

sounds like what happened to me left my car there for brake pads and discs came back payed. drove off and knocking coming from the rear wheels phoned them up bloke in charge said was like that when it came in [no it wasn't] 3 hours later i get a visit from old bill about my bad driving and my car hitting the kerb with the rear wheel going round a corner and speeding off this all happened while my car was in there possession (tea boy had taken my car to get breakfast from the cafe for eveyone) cant tell you the rest but i would get it checked for damage and get legal advice

sounds like what happened to me left my car there for brake pads and discs came back payed. drove off and knocking coming from the rear wheels phoned them up bloke in charge said was like that when it came in [no it wasn't] 3 hours later i get a visit from old bill about my bad driving and my car hitting the kerb with the rear wheel going round a corner and speeding off this all happened while my car was in there possession (tea boy had taken my car to get breakfast from the cafe for eveyone) cant tell you the rest but i would get it checked for damage and get legal advice

Would the car you talking about happen to be an automatic by any chance.

left it with them at 1.30pm. I was told to return in 2 and a half hours.

I returned to pick it up at 4pm which was half an hour later than agreed

Eh? 1.30pm + 2.5hrs = 4pm

Not half an hour later than agreed?

If your recollection of the pricing is just as bad.........

Although Kwik Fit did appear on Watchdog in 2010 for overcharging.

I recently used a kwick for in sheffield as i wanted an oil change doing, As the above person has said........ WRONG OIL!

I specificly said i wanted the 5w30 oil, They was fine, no problem! The car didnt drive right after about 3 or 4 miles, Engine wasnt as quiet as it should be, down on power.

Quickly dropped the oil thinking the oil change had done something, This time i got a friend to do it and i got the parts from VX. I then rang kwik fit asking what oil was used, to be told 15w40!!!!

They didnt try to con me with any other work luckily, but to use the WRONG OIL in an engine is just a joke!