Kwik Fit, rubbish service or am I just being picky?

Are you saying the oil light remains on for a few seconds after firing up the engine?

This does happen on some cars when it might not have happened before. It may be to do with the oil filter and a valve in the filter. Some filters have a valve which turns off when the engine stops so the filter is full of oil on stopping. Some filters do not have this valve so it can take a few seconds for the filter to fill up and build up pressure.

I am no mechanic but this is what I was told by a Nissan garage when I took my ex auction Micra in for a service. When I got it back the light went out immediately as before it took 3-4 seconds to go out.

im used to the lights all coming on and some staying on longer than others when the car is fired up but they stay on longer than the rest and go out much later.

I took my car there a few years ago for a free brake check. I knew that it needed new back brakes and I had just had the front ones changed a few days before.

They came and told me the news that I did indeed need new brakes, the back ones were barely legal and the front ones would be more useful as an ornament :suspect:. I asked them if they were sure as I didn't think that all four needed to be changed. The bloke was adamant that my car was highly unsafe in it's current condition and that if I chose to drive it away without having all four brake pads replaced I would be reported.

So whilst laughing I informed them that I had watched a different garage change the front ones a few days before and that if he didn't get my car down off the ramps and give me the keys I was reporting him for supplying false information and for theft of a motor vehicle. I drove out 3 minutes later :hihi:.

You really have to be careful when using any garage, especially if you are a woman on your own!

im used to the lights all coming on and some staying on longer than others when the car is fired up but they stay on longer than the rest and go out much later.

A couple of mine stay on longer than the others, oil light and something else but there is nothing wrong with the car.

if he didn't get my car down off the ramps and give me the keys I was reporting him for supplying false information and for theft of a motor vehicle. I drove out 3 minutes later :hihi:.

:hihi::hihi: haha brilliant.

Im a mechanic by trade and I use Charlie Browns Hillsborough for MOT's they know they cant kid me on and I usually find them OK the guy who does the MOTs there is quite decent,but I must admit to listening to the story's they tell some of the customers,Ive stood in there garage and watched some of there guys working on cars and basically I would not trust them with a paintbrush in our outside toilet there not mechanics there just fitters, they don't want to pay out wages for proper mechanics,I suppose they serve a purpose for tyre and exhaust fitting and things like that but you would not want to take a nice BMW or something like that kind of car for repairs or servicing to them as for the knocking under the car they must have done some thing to it or damaged it in some way get it looked at especially if the noise was not there before you took it to them sounds a bit dodgy to me .

I took my car there a few years ago for a free brake check. I knew that it needed new back brakes and I had just had the front ones changed a few days before.

They came and told me the news that I did indeed need new brakes, the back ones were barely legal and the front ones would be more useful as an ornament :suspect:. I asked them if they were sure as I didn't think that all four needed to be changed. The bloke was adamant that my car was highly unsafe in it's current condition and that if I chose to drive it away without having all four brake pads replaced I would be reported.

So whilst laughing I informed them that I had watched a different garage change the front ones a few days before and that if he didn't get my car down off the ramps and give me the keys I was reporting him for supplying false information and for theft of a motor vehicle. I drove out 3 minutes later :hihi:.

You really have to be careful when using any garage, especially if you are a woman on your own!

This seems to be a common scam, a fitting place up City Road tried it with me about 15 years ago. I took my car in for an exhaust, they phoned me claiming it needed front pads and discs - a job I had done myself the previous weekend!

A couple of mine stay on longer than the others, oil light and something else but there is nothing wrong with the car.[/quote

The oil pressure censor is just like a sort of tube with a ball baring in it that shuts of when the oil pressure reaches a certain pressure they become worn and can stick a bit and take a bit longer for the oil light to go out, or the engine oil pressure is down due to the wrong oil in the engine or the engine has a lot of miles on it.

Edited by Shogun

A couple of weeks ago, i stopped in a local KF ( i won't say where) to get my tracking checked after i mucked about with my front suspension.

Anyway, i'm in their waiting area when the guy makes a phonecall to a customer - he reels of a list of jobs that need doing urgently.

Needed a coolant change

Brake fluid change

3 tyres

front brake pads

rear brake pads and discs

2 new rear shock absorbers

Anyway, during their conversation it transpires that the car (which is only a couple of years old BTW) was actually a lease car and KF needed to deal with the lease company.

So, the bloke gets onto the Lease company and tells them the good news - except this time guess what the car needs?

1 Tyre and a set of front brake pads

Thieving robbing bastewards, quite happy to rip off some bloke but not so the far more savy lease company (which wanted to know exactly what was wrong with the tyre and how much material was left on the pads).

I was gobsmacked frankly, tracking was checked elsewhere......

Our car exhaust blew outta of it Lambass joint (no idea how to spell it!) it also sheard off its nuts (ouch) Kwik fit wanted to charge us £600 to replace the whole exhaust!!! our local garage fixed it, tightened all round, new nuts etc cost us £30!!!

Kwik fit are thieving barstoods!!

STAY CLEAR!!!!!!!

if its a 3 series beemer its rear wheel drive,if its a knocking as you drive that speeds up as you go faster (a bit like a slow woodpecker!) then its to do with your drivetrain (propshaft,driveshafts or the joints inbetween them,or could be a wheelbearing) if its a knocking as you go over bumps its to do with the mountings that hold the wishbones and axle etc to the chassis of the car,bmw's are renownd for the rear axle bushes going.

Id be looking in those places,it could be something else but thats the most likely. Hope this helps.

A couple of weeks ago, i stopped in a local KF ( i won't say where) to get my tracking checked after i mucked about with my front suspension.

Anyway, i'm in their waiting area when the guy makes a phonecall to a customer - he reels of a list of jobs that need doing urgently.

Needed a coolant change

Brake fluid change

3 tyres

front brake pads

rear brake pads and discs

2 new rear shock absorbers

Anyway, during their conversation it transpires that the car (which is only a couple of years old BTW) was actually a lease car and KF needed to deal with the lease company.

So, the bloke gets onto the Lease company and tells them the good news - except this time guess what the car needs?

1 Tyre and a set of front brake pads

Thieving robbing bastewards, quite happy to rip off some bloke but not so the far more savy lease company (which wanted to know exactly what was wrong with the tyre and how much material was left on the pads).

I was gobsmacked frankly, tracking was checked elsewhere......

that is disgusting, you should name and shame. :mad:

Shogun, i've just been to another garage near me, not a big name place but a place recommended by a friend. They just told me it needs the anti roll bar changing or tightening and it will cost a tenner.

the kwik fit guys told me it was a leak somewhere and would cost up to £80. says it all really. :|

The BMW series 3 do have a problem with the welding on the wishbone and chassis mounting coming apart this can be coursed by jacking it up in the wrong place as well, that would make a kind knocking noise if that has gone.