Kobo ereader or Amazon Kindle?

27th April it's available in UK if you (or anyone else) didn't know.

Why move from a Kindle to the Kindle Touch by the way?

Even months after getting the thing I still try to swipe to turn the page, it's just the natural way to use it, the buttons aren't as intuitive.

I think you miss the point, it's nice not to worry about the charge on your e-reader.

I didn`t miss anything it was just a stupid question really that deserved a stupid answer.I have a kindle they are good.When the Kindle fire hits over here it will sell like hot cakes because a lot of people will want a device that you can do more than read on.

I have read my last 30 books on a 4" smartphone.Just prefer it.Everybody to their own.

I didn`t miss anything it was just a stupid question really that deserved a stupid answer.I have a kindle they are good.When the Kindle fire hits over here it will sell like hot cakes because a lot of people will want a device that you can do more than read on.

I have read my last 30 books on a 4" smartphone.Just prefer it.Everybody to their own.

Its a six month old device so I doubt it.

Why would the fire be a big seller, there are plenty of equivalent tablets already available that aren't locked down to the same extent...

If you prefer reading your books on a 4" screen then obviously the Kindle isn't for you, most other people buy the Kindle for the screen; not because they can't afford a tablet.

I was reading on slashdot earlier that they will launch a backlit version (some sort of low power OLED so it won't eat the battery), sounds good, I find myself reading in bed when the OH wants to sleep, and a backlight would make that more pleasant. But in the sun it's impressive compared to a glossy screen, can't see a thing on my phone, but can read the kindle with ease.

I was reading on slashdot earlier that they will launch a backlit version (some sort of low power OLED so it won't eat the battery), sounds good, I find myself reading in bed when the OH wants to sleep, and a backlight would make that more pleasant. But in the sun it's impressive compared to a glossy screen, can't see a thing on my phone, but can read the kindle with ease.

I just use a separate attachable light when my wife's asleep in bed, it works well.

Having used the Kobo touch for a few days with the latest firmware I have to say I would not recommend it to anyone. Problems with page turning persist, it does seem to work ok after a complete restart for about 5 page turns but then it can take up to 10 touches to turn the page and I seem to end up with multiple page turns and occasionaly 1 touch will turn the page forward 2 pages or back one page.

A little bit of searching has shown this to be a problem with the Kobo for the last several months.

Wetting my finger before turning the page seems to give me much more reliable page turning

Are there any issues with the Kindle touch ?, I can't see me being able to use the Kobo for extended periods, its just not a fluid reading experience :(

The £49 kobo in asda looks like good value ?

But the touchscreen one is worth the extra money.

Wetting my finger before turning the page seems to give me much more reliable page turning

that made me chuckle... all that technology, and we have to revert to licking a finger to turn the page, just like with a "real" book. Sorry, but I am so tickled with that one!

The basic kindle is a fine piece of kit. It seems to me that you can upload almost any kind of text or image file via usb too, which surprised me.

that made me chuckle... all that technology, and we have to revert to licking a finger to turn the page, just like with a "real" book. Sorry, but I am so tickled with that one!

Maybe its a "feature" of the Kobo to make it feel more like a real book ? :confused: