Does anyone have any ghost stories for the old Jessops hospital?

Make the most of the view, because the currently derelict Edwardian half is due to be demolished by the university.

Did not realise there were any miners left :hihi:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I worked there for 10 years during the eighties and there were lots of stories about a nurse in victorian dress being seen around the hospital, especially in the very old part which was very spooky at night. I never saw anything though but then again I am a bit of a sceptic so probably she wouldn't show herself to me.

I worked there for 10 years during the eighties and there were lots of stories about a nurse in victorian dress being seen around the hospital, especially in the very old part which was very spooky at night. I never saw anything though but then again I am a bit of a sceptic so probably she wouldn't show herself to me.

Thanks for that Mabel Lily. I wonder if its the same lady that appeared in the other ladys photo. Which is the really old part? I can see the part that looks like the back of the building that faces the University buildings rather than the church.

Yes thats right, it was used as laboratories and things in the later days, but originally I suppose it was the wards. I'm not sure when the other bit was added but it was a definite improvement on the old victorian part and not half as scary!

There was a story in which a new born child was taken over by the spirit of another who had died in intensive care following a premature caesarian delivery.The child grew up to be uncommunicative with her parents,and eventually ran away from home to join a circus.If you want more details PM me as the story should not be read by miners.

How would you tell if one baby was possessed by another baby? An it's OK, I'm not a miner.

jb

I was in and out of the Old Jessops during the 70's upto mid 80's quite often, with miscarriages, ops and bed rest to try and stop miscarriages. there was a section near the theatres (4th Floor) that was supposed to be haunted by a "Sister" who had committed suicide by throwing herself off the roof. There were certainly parts of that hospital that felt very strange and more so on the 4th floor.

I was once around the back of Jessops one night many years ago and saw a mysterious female figure in black. This hideous figure approached me slowly and introduced herself as the lady of the night. Turned out to be very friendly though..

Edited by GodStar

Not the old one sorry but last year in August my daughter in law was admitted to new jessops with preg problems. She was put in ward on her own and our son accompanied her and was sat at the bottom of her bed. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a young girl stood at the bottom of the next bed. When he turned his head to look she disappeared. Don't know which ward it was on but I'll find out and post it here. He told his partner when she got home with healthy boy, she would never of stayed there otherwise. Good luck with other stories.

Found out now after speaking tothem. She was put on Whirlow ward on her own. As mentioned by 'greyface' rumours have it that this is haunted. My son has seen the proof. No johnny walker involved sorry!

My mother was born in Jessops in 1938. Her mother was attempting a home birth in Chesterfield and was sent by ambulance (after my grandfather stumped up the money for it - Pre-NHS) to Jessops. He was asked whether he wanted them to save the mother or the baby. He said mother because his first wife had died in Childbirth 5 years earlier (in Sheffield). There must have been many deaths of both mothers and babies in Jessops back then.

Luckily, or down to the skill of the obstetrician, they both survived. My grandmother wrote to my grandfather saying the doctor said she was ready to go home and please could he send the money for the ambulance. He replied saying that she could be picked up the following week by his company's wood van as they were going to Sheffield. The doctor said that this was unsuitable and so she stayed a further 3 weeks until the cost could be shared between the husband's of three women from Chesterfield.

How times have changed!

I have also heard now that strange things used to happen in the hospital such as things moving of their own accord, if anyone has stories about that, let me know.