WW2 Related sites in Sheffield

Anybody know of any sites related to World War 2 in Sheffield, these are the ones I managed to find on the WW2Museums site:

Commonwealth War Graves - Burngreave Cemetery

Commonwealth War Graves - City Road Cemetery

Pillbox Hecla Works - Attercliffe

War Memorial - Grenoside

War Memorial - Weston Park (Crookesmoor)

The barrage balloons were kept at Norton Aerodrome. There were anti aircraft guns round the hills above the city centre. I think the concrete base still shows at the one in Chapletown. Bomb damage still shows as shrapnel marks on the columns of the city hall, there is also the patch on the wicker arches where a bomb crashed through but did not explode (to your right as you drive from Saville street to wicker.

A good book is Sheffields date with Hitler.

Seperatly there is also a monument on Baltic Works on Effingham Street Attercliffe to Zepplelin raid in WW1 which was the first time deaths were caused.

The barrage balloons were kept at Norton Aerodrome. There were anti aircraft guns round the hills above the city centre. I think the concrete base still shows at the one in Chapletown. Bomb damage still shows as shrapnel marks on the columns of the city hall, there is also the patch on the wicker arches where a bomb crashed through but did not explode (to your right as you drive from Saville street to wicker.

A good book is Sheffields date with Hitler.

Seperatly there is also a monument on Baltic Works on Effingham Street Attercliffe to Zepplelin raid in WW1 which was the first time deaths were caused.

I had no idea about the shrapnel marks & patch at the wicker, also thanks for the book recommendation :)

I remember being shown around some of the gardens around Penrith Road at Shirecliffe when I was at school, apparently there were anti aircraft guns on some of the back yards there. Also I remember my great grandmother talk about watching german bombers dropping their payloads on the moors around the Strines because they'd built a fake city there which was lit up at night. My grandmother lived in Stannington village and apparently used to watch them going over by mistake

If you go to the top of Wincobank Hill, you can see the foundations of an anti aircraft battery.

Edited by Anarchon

Not quite Sheffield but there was an Italian POW camp in Treeton. It was roughly where the pit training centre used to be just of Rother Crescent.

If you go to the top of Wincobank Hill, you can see the foundations of an anti aircraft battery.

They were dug up years ago. There was a searchlight stand and a gun emplacement on the top and just down Jenkin Road if you went straight on rather than taking the bend to the right were some more gun emplacements which have also gone. These were the type that I believe which were connected by tunnels for supplying the ammunition from underground.

Wincobank hill was also used in WW1 for trialing tanks.

Not quite Sheffield but there was an Italian POW camp in Treeton. It was roughly where the pit training centre used to be just of Rother Crescent.

Never knew of the Italian POW camp at Treeton - interesting stuff.....always wondered why there was so many pizza places down there! :hihi:

I had no idea about the shrapnel marks & patch at the wicker, also thanks for the book recommendation :)

Just noticed your location natonstan in Frecheville. My mum grew up there during the war years on Longstone Cresecent. Outside the back gardens on the top side (overlooking Intake) my grandad kept pigs during the war years. This was due to the rationing, the next door neighbour kept chickens, the next grew veg all the way down the street, a proper little community co-operative. Everyone trying to contribute some sort of food to share round. The structure of the pens were still there in the 80's but may well have gone now.

So not the big WW2 related site you may have been looking for, but makes you think how people really survived that period.