New Internet Snooping Law. Will it be for the better?

Do you think will be an intrusion on our freedom and liberty? If so would that bother you?

I expect it will be some time before its fully operational.

I'm not certain about it yet,not sure how its going to effect us. Can anyone enlighten me?

I expect if it helps catch criminals and potential terrorists thats got to be a good thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123512/New-snooping-law-allow-Government-access-everybodys-emails-texts-internet-browsing.html?ITO=google_news_rss_feed

The Government has already done much worse things to our freedoms and liberty than any so called Terror organisation could dream of doing.

It scares me. China and Iran have things like this in place.

this is nothing

Obama in the middle of the Night on new years eve gave a present to every single American alive today

it was called the National defence Bill

which means

from NOW ON the Army can arrest you and hold you in detention with no trial and no evidence

welcome to Tyranny

George Orwell 1987 Book is coming soo sooo true

last year we had the digital act pushed through parliment which means your Internet can be cut off

George Orwell 1987 Book is coming soo sooo true

Never heard of that one. Is it a sequel?

I think it's an attack on our privacy and I don't trust bungling officialdom with my privacy one little bit, it's only a matter of time before this listening agency starts abusing it's role or staff begin selling info on the qt or even worse.

Apparently according to a report by the Sunday Times, all that stuff is in place more or less with i phone Apps. They(the makers) can already read all your texts, and view all the images you do. Also they can make a premium rate phone call from your phone without you knowing. Privacy? If any one wants that, they are going to have to stop communicating!

I think it's an attack on our privacy and I don't trust bungling officialdom with my privacy one little bit, it's only a matter of time before this listening agency starts abusing it's role or staff begin selling info on the qt or even worse.

Oh, I don't think you have any fear about that.

I expect if it helps catch criminals and potential terrorists thats got to be a good thing.
I don't think it will help that much and, therefore, I don't think it would be a good thing.

They already listen into our phone calls randomly, and track us on our mobiles. Now no-one uses the phone much, they have to keep tabs on us somehow. It's logical they'll want to use the current popular medium to do so. Aren't they already doing this in the USA?

I also agree with Northern Star, you can't rely on confidentiality from the people employed to operate it. Or so experience would appear to tell us. So on balance, not a good thing to have in place.

I can see in rapidy moving circumstances (like the french jihadi going beserk recently) the benefits of GCHQ being able to rapidly build realtime maps of who is talking to who and who they have been talking to in order to triangulate possible suspects rapidly seem sensible. If the legislation is restricted to GCHQ and not rolled out as a general police power then I would broadly support it, I'd have to see the detail though.

I was completely against the ID card fiasco so beloved by the last lot and this smacks of being worse.

David Davies has it about right.

"an unnecessary extension of the ability of the state to snoop on ordinary people".