Snow & co. M/c manufacturers

Hi falls, By saying you grew up at the Units, does that mean your parent's were caretakers? Did you, or do you know any of the workers there?

Hi,

Yes, my folks were caretakers but my father had also worked at "Units" (1922?-1957). As for my own recollection of both works, particularly its staff, this would only be in the years 1942-1952. During my school years, I would know most of the people in the works but I started work in 52. Therefore anybody who joined either company in the years 52-60 I wasn't likely to know.

The people I do remember at "Units" were: Frank Connelly, Ralph Dixon, Bob Millward, Colin Banks, John Lake and Bill Bass. Later, a sheetmetal worker named Malcolm Ashforth joined "Units" but I knew him from school.

Regards

Edited by Falls

HI, Yep, remember him now. Can see his face too! Had several conversations with him. My husband's name was Clive Taylor. Your dad told me my husband

was the most talented Metal worker he'd ever known. He told me that he had more talent in his little finger than any other of his workers had in the whole of their bodies, but he (my husband) ****** about too much! At the time I was not too serious about Clive, so did nothing about it. Your dad eventually sacked Clive. But he was right, Clive went on to own his own company and manufactured all things made of metal. He even built several steel narrow boats.

He was indeed a talented man. Your dad must have passed away only weeks after I left the company. I liked your dad. I would have mourned his passing. Thanks for the info. It brought back memories.

Floater, thanks for those kind words really appreciate them. Dad brought me up well and I also have done OK in my life, I was only 19 when I lost him, he could have had many more years influencing me if he had lived. I am glad your husband did so well also, Dad was always a perfectionist about anything in metal and if it was him that influenced your husband I am very pleased, thanks again.

Hi,

If your Dad's name was Frank, then I remember him from earlier in the1940's. I grew up at the "Units". Didnt you have an uncle who also worked for Snow's?

Regards

Falls, any idea of the name of the uncle?.......gregconn

Falls, any idea of the name of the uncle?.......gregconn

Hello,

Its over 60 years ago but the name that comes to mind was "Jimmy" (Connelly); however, this may not have been his real first name.

Back then, Snow's and "Units" were awash with pranksters and 'comedians'. Quite a few of the workers had aquired what you might call 'works names' that were different to their actual first names. That's apart from any nicknames they might have as well. On occasion, some of these 'other' names might even find their way onto the individual's clock card.

I was only a young kid at the time so it could be confusing.

Regards

Edited by Falls

Thanks Falls, having done some checking I have found that dad (Frank Connelly) did have a brother James, so it seems to confirm that Uncle (Jimmy) did work at Snow's/.

To all the the 'Posters' that have either worked at or had friends/relatives connected to 'Industrial Units', did anybody know or remember brothers Alf and Frank Vines who worked there in the forties and left to work for coworkers Stuart Gill and Fred Simmonite when they started their own company on Herries Rd, Firvale. Eventually they both finished back at 'Units' approx late fifties, early sixties and presumably worked there until their respective retirements.

To all the the 'Posters' that have either worked at or had friends/relatives connected to 'Industrial Units', did anybody know or remember brothers Alf and Frank Vines who worked there in the forties and left to work for coworkers Stuart Gill and Fred Simmonite when they started their own company on Herries Rd, Firvale. Eventually they both finished back at 'Units' approx late fifties, early sixties and presumably worked there until their respective retirements.

Hi,

I can't remember the Vine brothers but I do remember Stuart Gill when he worked at "Units". I also have a vague recollection of Fred Simmonite. Wasn't the works at Herries Road called Torpedo Ventilating Co.?

Regards

Hi,

I can't remember the Vine brothers but I do remember Stuart Gill when he worked at "Units". I also have a vague recollection of Fred Simmonite. Wasn't the works at Herries Road called Torpedo Ventilating Co.?

Regards

You've got it, Gill was the tradesman and Simmonite was an improver (as they called older guys who were past the normal apprentice age), they were financed by a Tobacconist who had a little shop on the road behind the old rag and tag market (never knew the connection but he was known as the 'silent partner'). They were very successful and driving Jags and Rovers in very quick order, at the time when the Vines brothers left to go back to 'Units' there was a mass exodus of very skilled workers who went to work for 'Sissons' stainless steel kitchen equipment mfrs. By that time Gill and his partner were firmly established anyway and kept it running until their passing or retirement what ever the case was, it was my understanding neither of their sons were interested in carrying the company on.

On 01/04/2012 at 21:31, Kidorry said:

There is a person on here who`s parents were the caretakers at Snows in the Wicker.

Hi my dad was a manager and designer  at Snows, his name  was Arthur Steele does anybody  remember him,snows in the wicker Sheffield he retired in the 70s. Bob.

Edited by bobsteele800@gm

Where in the Wicker area was Snow's ?

The old Snows was on Stanley street on the next corner to the Stanley street club going towards the wicker. They then set up a new one behind the old one which was on the road opposite the wicker picture house. You must forgive my vague description but I have forgotten the name of the roads.

18 hours ago, Kidorry said:

The old Snows was on Stanley street on the next corner to the Stanley street club going towards the wicker. They then set up a new one behind the old one which was on the road opposite the wicker picture house. You must forgive my vague description but I have forgotten the name of the roads.

18 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Thank you and the road behind the Stanley Street club was Andrew Street.