Wiring room light

One of the blacks could be the switchwire that has not been marked, GET AN ELECTRICIAN!

Correct 10 out of 10

yes, I read the bit about 19 home and leisure fatalitys from electrocution and the 8 deaths from faulty installations and over 2000 fires from same

but it doesn't say who wired those ;)

I'll give you the point about telling people how to do stuff on forums though

I think you will find that as has been mentioned one of the twins is the one going down to the switch. I'm sure if you do the following it will work OK. Put the two reds into the central connector of the ceiling rose. Separate the two blacks and put one into the connector that has one of the flexes in that goes down to the lampholder and the other black into the connector that has the other flex in that goes down to the lampholder, and of course the two greens together onto the earth connector. It doesn't really matter which black goes onto the red of the flex and which goes into the black.

In the. Ceiling rose put the red wires in the centre.... And one of the black wires each side of the lamp ..... TURN FUSE BOARD OFF FIRST ... You won't determine which is the switching live unless you know what your doing but the above will work ....Dont forget to earth the new fitting if it's metal cased

SPARKY2 the new fitting will have a "brown wire" not red .. Don't confuse him anymore lol

Edited by E-lectrican

Davi although it sounds as though you are trying to help it clearly shows in your post that you have no understanding of electrical systems so it may be prudent in the future not to try and help people.

It seems quite clear to me that I wasn`t telling him, or urging him to do it himself.,

What part of my post was trying to help? If you read subsequent posts you will see that several people that appear to be electricians ARE instructing him to have another go!

Do the electrical regs not dictate how it's done?
No, other than: a suitably-sized conductor shall run from the live supply to the switch, thence via a suitably labelled switched live to the lighting fitting, thence via a neutral to the supply neutral. At all points outlets and junctions shall also have an earth. How it is specifically wired is determined by the installer according to the installation requirements of the site.

I choose to use this method, primarily because all outlets have exactly one unambiguous cable:

switch  switch   switch
            |       |        |
supply -----jcn-----jcn------jcn---
            |       |        |
          light   light    light

other people choose to use loop-in:

switch  switch   switch
            |       |        |
supply ----light---light----light---

you will often find an installation has a mixture of both depending on the obstacles in the installation and the most convenient safe routes for cabling.

easiest thing to do is post the work on http://www.quotemywork.com and let qualified electricians give you a free quote. simples.

8 posts recommending this site, not one saying you're something to do with it?

Please explain if you are employed by the company

No, other than: a suitably-sized conductor shall run from the live supply to the switch, thence via a suitably labelled switched live to the lighting fitting, thence via a neutral to the supply neutral. At all points outlets and junctions shall also have an earth. How it is specifically wired is determined by the installer according to the installation requirements of the site.

I choose to use this method, primarily because all outlets have exactly one unambiguous cable:

switch  switch   switch
            |       |        |
supply -----jcn-----jcn------jcn---
            |       |        |
          light   light    light

other people choose to use loop-in:

switch  switch   switch
            |       |        |
supply ----light---light----light---

you will often find an installation has a mixture of both depending on the obstacles in the installation and the most convenient safe routes for cabling.

The reason sparkys use the loop in loop out method, as against the junction box method is that the all the cables are accessible at the ceiling rose, where as junction boxes are left under the floorboards. When the floors are covered in laminate or tiles, then in the event of a fault, the junction boxes are not accessible.

taking a picture wont save your life

http://www.esc.org.uk/stakeholder/policies-and-research/statistics/

best advice, if your not qualified and competent then get someone who is

Qualification is irrelevant. Competence is the only thing that matters in this situation. Some people are qualified and incompetent.

I do know the answer ,but I can`t give it to you. It also sounds like you don`t have an RCD (protection against a leak to earth, which will go through you, your heart, and then down to earth)
According to Disco Stu's description of what he did, an RCD would have been of no help at all.

Qualification is irrelevant. Competence is the only thing that matters in this situation. Some people are qualified and incompetent.

I stand corrected