Wiring room light

This is also the main reason why when I rewire I never use ceiling roses as junction boxes, absolutely every outlet just has a single cable coming to it so it is impossible for later refitters to get confused.

The Reader's Digest DIY Manual has both methods in it, though I was under the impression that your method is old school. Do the electrical regs not dictate how it's done?

All a photo will tell you is "a red wire goes here, another red wire goes there, a black wire goes there, another red wire goes there..." It won't tell you which red wire goes where. If you do no realise this, then by definition you are not a competant electrician. There will be plenty of people along to offer quotes, check posting histories to see what other people say about their standard of work. There are many decent and competant electricians on here.
If you read my post, you'll see I was quite specific about not muddling any of those up too

It still amuses me to know that I've wired panels for nuclear power stations, but now I'm not supposed to touch half the electrics at home. Still, with the amount of new electrical appliances we want to hard wire in these days, along with people posting on here not understanding that a shower is kicking out as much 'heat' as running nearly a dozen fan heaters at once, so YES, it DOES need its own fuse :rolleyes:, I'm not surprised the powers that be decided it all needed regulating - which still didn't stop somebody wiring both a washer and a dryer through the same fused spur when they refitted our kitchen :rolleyes:

you should have made a note of where they were originally...

I was called into a job where the tenant had done this and the only way to fix it was... well maybe I shouldn't say here, a competant electrician will know what to do and how to do it safely, and will know what I mean by "left hand in rear pocket". :)

.. in other words, it required the wires tracing to the opposite ends to find out which is live, feed and switch, and then wiring it properly... this can some times require the wires being pulled, and floor boards lifted so can some times be costly..

did you read any of that guff before posting the link?

which bit do you think proves your point?

Given the mickey mouse courses that enable a kitchen fitter to tamper with electrics, I think you should qualify your post with advice on how to find a suitably qualified and competent person :thumbsup:

yes, I read the bit about 19 home and leisure fatalitys from electrocution and the 8 deaths from faulty installations and over 2000 fires from same

As for how to find a suitably qualified and competent electrician I have no idea, I am one so I have never needed one but im sure there will be recomendations on SF somewhere.

If you want to give advice on how to do something thats your call, I have seen enough faults, poor wiring and connections over the years to make me not give out that advice because as simple as it may be to some others and myself there will be those who don't quite grasp what is required, things I take for granted that the other person my not have or know, getting the wires in the right places is not all there is to it, like being able to test for voltage, ensuring a tight connection (but not too tight), stripping the cable properly and probably half a dozen other things I cant think of but just do.

besides a photo would not differentiate between the 2 blacks after they have been disconected so while your advice "take a picture" while no doubt well intended would have given the op a 50% chance of connecting the light correctly

yes, I read the bit about 19 home and leisure fatalitys from electrocution and the 8 deaths from faulty installations and over 2000 fires from same

As for how to find a suitably qualified and competent electrician I have no idea, I am one so I have never needed one but im sure there will be recomendations on SF somewhere.

If you want to give advice on how to do something thats your call, I have seen enough faults, poor wiring and connections over the years to make me not give out that advice because as simple as it may be to some others and myself there will be those who don't quite grasp what is required, things I take for granted that the other person my not have or know, getting the wires in the right places is not all there is to it, like being able to test for voltage, ensuring a tight connection (but not too tight), stripping the cable properly and probably half a dozen other things I cant think of but just do.

besides a photo would not differentiate between the 2 blacks after they have been disconected so while your advice "take a picture" while no doubt well intended would have given the op a 50% chance of connecting the light correctly

diamond advice. people cannot really tell someone else how to do something like this on a forum.

You know yourself if you can do something like this. if you have ANY doubts then don't do it. Call in an sparky as your life might depend on it

.. in other words, it required the wires tracing to the opposite ends to find out which is live, feed and switch, and then wiring it properly... this can some times require the wires being pulled, and floor boards lifted so can some times be costly..

Threads like this really make me laugh. Is there a shortage of work for electricians? I was assuming the trades were really busy judging by how many of them fail to even turn up.

Surely selectively disconnecting, testing the wires and checking the switch would go a long way to being the equivalent of pulling up floorboards.

OP you'll probably find more help on a fourm like diynot.com, but probably just as much derision of your electrical abilities. Replacing a ceiling rose shouldn't have posed this much of a problem for you, so perhaps get a book on how to do it next time, but you should rarely need a Part P registered competent person for such a job, though you might find one here: http://niceic.com/. There are other Part P schemes.

One of the blacks could be the switchwire that has not been marked, GET AN ELECTRICIAN!

This reminds me of a Quote I used to hear my grand dad say "red to red, Black to black & blue to bits" doesn't help the OP but the yellow pages will.

And to anybody else thinking of swapping a light fitting - get your phone out and take several pics of what's connected to what (and make sure it's in focus and you can SEE what's what) before you take anything apart, and don't muddle anything up whilst you're taking the old fitting off

With modern technology at our fingertips, there's no excuse for the situation in this OP :rolleyes:

Dont forget to turn the power off from the fuse box :hihi:

Are light fittings the same as plug sockets?i swapped all mine in the kitchen no problem.

Are light fittings the same as plug sockets?i swapped all mine in the kitchen no problem.

Quick and simple answer is no.. :)