Wiring room light

I wonder if anyone can help ,Iam fitting a ceiling light and iv'e got 2 black wires (neutral) and 2 red wires (live) the rose on the ceiling has got live neutral and loop on it ive wired all the neutrals together and the lives togther (and its earthed) but when i switch yhe light on it blows the fuse on the circuit board any ideas anyone?

yes, if you've done that, you're not 'a competent person' so get an electrician :thumbsup:

I do know the answer ,but I can`t give it to you. It also sounds like you don`t have an RCD (protection against a leak to earth, which will go through you, your heart, and then down to earth)

If you connect all the black wires together and connect all the red wires together and make the switch, you've just connected all the black wires to all the red wires.:hihi:

Are you surprised it blew the fuse?:huh:

As Strix suggested, it would be a good idea for you to get an electrician in to do the job for you.

I will second that advice. Get a sparky in before your lights go out, permanently.

You have made the classic mistake which I see in 100 % of all faults that you have. The best thing to do is get a qualified electrician. However if you ever do this again ( which I advise you don't) just remember that just because it's black it dos'nt automatically make it the neutral conductor ( not every electrician will mark the cables correctly) and the best thing to do is remember which cable was connected to what.

I do know the answer ,but I can`t give it to you. It also sounds like you don`t have an RCD (protection against a leak to earth, which will go through you, your heart, and then down to earth)

Davi although it sounds as though you are trying to help it clearly shows in your post that you have no understanding of electrical systems so it may be prudent in the future not to try and help people.

And to anybody else thinking of swapping a light fitting - get your phone out and take several pics of what's connected to what (and make sure it's in focus and you can SEE what's what) before you take anything apart, and don't muddle anything up whilst you're taking the old fitting off

With modern technology at our fingertips, there's no excuse for the situation in this OP :rolleyes:

just remember that just because it's black it doesn't automatically make it the neutral conductor ... and the best thing to do is remember which cable was connected to what.
Especially with a ceiling rose because a ceiling rose is a combination of a light fitting and a junction box. Some of those wires are the feed from the supply, some of those wires are the switch wire going to and back from the switch and some of those wires are the feed from this light to the next light. You have done exactly what somebody on my C&G course kept doing - "so, I connect all the reds, and connect all the blacks...".

I was called into a job where the tenant had done this and the only way to fix it was... well maybe I shouldn't say here, a competant electrician will know what to do and how to do it safely, and will know what I mean by "left hand in rear pocket". :)

This is also the main reason why when I rewire I never use ceiling roses as junction boxes, absolutely every outlet just has a single cable coming to it so it is impossible for later refitters to get confused.

taking a picture wont save your life

http://www.esc.org.uk/stakeholder/policies-and-research/statistics/

best advice, if your not qualified and competent then get someone who is

did you read any of that guff before posting the link?

which bit do you think proves your point?

Given the mickey mouse courses that enable a kitchen fitter to tamper with electrics, I think you should qualify your post with advice on how to find a suitably qualified and competent person :thumbsup:

which bit do you think proves your point?
All a photo will tell you is "a red wire goes here, another red wire goes there, a black wire goes there, another red wire goes there..." It won't tell you which red wire goes where. If you do no realise this, then by definition you are not a competant electrician. There will be plenty of people along to offer quotes, check posting histories to see what other people say about their standard of work. There are many decent and competant electricians on here.