Just been on the Ouija Board.

No.

That is a test to see if they are using the letters/numbers conciously or not.

No it isn't, it is to determine if they're doing it unconsciously, I'm not implying deception on part of the participants.

If when the ouija board is reoriented without the participants knowledge, and they still spell out the names of recently deceased relatives etc. , then you'f know that it wasn't them pushing the glass, it was some other force.

However, what you find, is that they fail to spell out anything at all, leading us to the inescapable conclusion that the force must be coming from the people holding the glass.

I said there is no test to differentiate between wether it was kinetic (wether concious, or subconcious) energy or 'psychic' (or spirit manipulating our psychic) energy that was moving the glass, if people were touching it.
Sorry but you're just abusing terms here, if the glass moves, it has kinetic energy. It doesn't not move because it has kinetic energy, it has kinetic energy because it moves.

It moves because a force is applied to it.

What I think you're trying to say is that there is no test to determine whether the force is coming from the people, or from some kind of magic spirit. That's wrong though, the test I proposed will do that just fine.

And in any case, even if it didn't, so what?

There is also no test to determine whether it isn't mike the giant invisible elephant genius who's the one moving the glass, however there's no reason at all to think he is, just like there's no reason at all to think ghosts or other such nonsense are involved, especially considering that ouija boards can be completely explained by the ideomotor effect. Why needlessly complicate things?

You could of course just say psychic energy doesnt exist, which is fair enough if you think that, but I prefer to give people who believe such things a chance to back up their claims rather than just dismissing them outright.

Those two positions are not mutually exclusive, right now I can and am perfectly willing to say 'psychic energy does not exist'. However that does not mean I'm not giving people who do believe in such things a chance to back up their claims.

Don't tempt them.:hihi:

its soooo beautiful though , and at the bargain price of only £35.00 :hihi::hihi:

(do you think they are tempted yet? )

You've lost me Roots! I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is that if you made a name up and the players were unaware of this, any movement of the planchette or glass would be due to them and not the "spirit", seeing as you made the identity of the spirit up yourself.

Beware of ouija boards, they encourage the spirits not all of the are freindly and they linger in your home afterwards. I know from experience. I tried it when i was younger and the house became haunted. Not long after the boards were banned.

Beware of ouija boards, they encourage the spirits not all of the are freindly and they linger in your home afterwards. I know from experience. I tried it when i was younger and the house became haunted. Not long after the boards were banned.

I saw that episode of 'Supernatural' too. It was the one with that Castiel/Bobby gay subplot, right?

There was a case in The Star some years ago, where these people had played with a ouija board, and all became mentally ill afterwards.

Was this spirit called Albert Hofmann :hihi:

Nah it wasn't Albert - it was Johnnie Walker.

Angel.

There was a case in The Star some years ago, where these people had played with a ouija board, and all became mentally ill afterwards.

Ahh.. the reliable fountain of accurate facts and truth, known as the Star :hihi:

On the other hand these events may have taken place, but I would be interested to read if there were any more factors involved than just a ouija board (before AND after playing it).

Utter nonsense, and ouija boards have never been banned.

I bet you believe everything you see on Most Haunted as well.

There have been no strange goings on since we contacted the undead the other night. My daughter tried to blame the mess in her room on evil spirits but I know better. As for the 'intuative' picking up on how or where a friend is, I can't buy into that either. I have to use Occam's razor.

I don't need anybody to buy into it - I'm not selling it ;)

I do wonder sometimes whether it bothers me more than it would do if it were somehow 'acceptable'

I don't need anybody to buy into it - I'm not selling it ;)
Sure you were, what an odd thing to say. Don't back down now!

I do wonder sometimes whether it bothers me more than it would do if it were somehow 'acceptable'
What do you mean by this part? Edited by flamingjimmy