Any one go to Owler Lane Intermediate school

What exactly is/was an 'Intermediate school ?' I went to Burngreave (which wasn't one.) How many of them were they in Sheffield and when did that educational practice begin and end ?

What exactly is/was an 'Intermediate school ?' I went to Burngreave (which wasn't one.) How many of them were they in Sheffield and when did that educational practice begin and end ?

Half way between a grammar school and a secondary modern. We had cap and blazer uniforms (got called a puff in my first week as I walked along Sedan Street, lol). I think there was another one somewhere in the city. They ceased to exist when the comprehensive system was brought in. Owler Lane Intermediate closed down and we were shifted to Hinde House. Not sure what happened to Owler Lane East.

Half way between a grammar school and a secondary modern. We had cap and blazer uniforms (got called a puff in my first week as I walked along Sedan Street, lol). I think there was another one somewhere in the city. They ceased to exist when the comprehensive system was brought in. Owler Lane Intermediate closed down and we were shifted to Hinde House. Not sure what happened to Owler Lane East.

I think 'Owler Lane east' became 'Earl Marshall Comprehensive' but still don't know the difference (Intermediate) between the two. (Thanks Mike !)

I think 'Owler Lane east' became 'Earl Marshall Comprehensive' but still don't know the difference (Intermediate) between the two. (Thanks Mike !)

Intermediate simply meant that in academic standards it was midway between a grammar school and a secondary modern. The basis of selection was the 11+ exam. From my class at All Saints one went to grammar school (Firth Park), three to Owler Lane (the also rans), and the rest to Burny.

In September 1963 we amalgamated with Hinde House Secondary Modern to form Hinde House Comprehensive. It always puzzled me why we didn't simply stay put and join with Owler Lane East.

Edited by Jim Hardie

Fantastic information Norrie. I was at Owler Lane from 1948 - 1953.

Tom Corley lived in Wath and used to take the slop from the kitchens home in his car. I believe that he kept pigs. He was always looking for someone to carry the container and we used to take off when we saw him coming.

I didn't see Mr Tring (ex Arnhem Paratroop veteran) on your list, who taught Science as well as math. Regarding Mr Smith, he had a nasty habit of approaching someone from behind who was not sitting straight and giving the boy a hefty punch in the shoulder. He did it to a lad called Keith Cooper (twice) Keith Cooper got up and dropped him with one punch. Cooper's father came to the school and the end result was that Keith Cooper was transferred to another school. Cooper was not expelled because Smith had punched him twice. I was in the lab when this happened. There are probably others still alive who remember or witnessed this incident. (I'll be 80 in September)

Miss Snitch who taught art used to take the class to the top of Grimethorpe tip to do sketching .... Great days. She wore sandals all year round ! I've been in touch with a few of my peers. One of my best friends (Graham Cox) died in a fire about 18 months ago. He lived on the south coast in Poole

To Parsleydiva Trying to unravel the recent threads which were very interesting & informative. What years were you at OLIS? When/where do you meet for periodic reunions?

RonG

Hi I was at OLIS 1952-1957. Our little reunions are at The Graduate, opposite Sheffield City Library. There are usually about 6 or 7 "girls" turn up.

Hi Norrie, reference to your post #452, although I'm not ex-O L school two names in your list interested me. First, Tony Pounder who I knew from starting school until the 11+ sent us in different directions.My last contact with him was when he was playing for Crewe around 1956-7 I believe. A friend said he had been to a reunion at Shiregreen in the 90's but I couldn't get more information as to where he settled. Alan Pidd was also in the same junior class though I've no idea as to his whereabouts. My own career movements were difficult to keep up with and not too many of our generation are active forummers.

If either of their names stir your memory cells please let me know, Thanks.

Long time since I came on the site so have lost touch with what's happening. Andrew Civico has been in touch and he has offered to do the bulk of the work for a reunion to celebrate our 60th birthdays. Any one interested in this? Are any of you ex-pats coming over to the mainland this year as Civ would like to know to set a date?

Doug McCormack enquiring any future reunions planned?

My email: Doug @mccormacksmail .co.uk

Kind regards

Doug

Hi Doug Maureen here. I've not ben on the site for a long time as there is an Owler Lane/Hinde House group on Face Book and we tend to keep in touch that way. Glyn Senior monitors the site. We generally meet up annually in August when Glyn is over in Japan. My email is moeb85@btinternet.com if you want details of any of the lads in the group.

Hope you have a good Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

I'm a bit late on this site but went to Owler Lane Intermediate School in the early forties - I left in 1946. I remember Miss Snitch and Mr Slack, Miss Hardwick and Miss Baxter. Mr Gregory was headmaster at the time.

We used to go to the shop on the corner for cold drinks. In those days it was similar to a soda stream with different flavours being topped up with "gas".

I'm a bit late on this site but went to Owler Lane Intermediate School in the early forties - I left in 1946. I remember Miss Snitch and Mr Slack, Miss Hardwick and Miss Baxter. Mr Gregory was headmaster at the time.

We used to go to the shop on the corner for cold drinks. In those days it was similar to a soda stream with different flavours being topped up with "gas".

Would that be Dolly Hyman's