Any one go to Owler Lane Intermediate school

hi richard l remembered another teacher who came to owler lane in the year l was leaving his name was mr anderson, l dont know if you remember him? l cant acctually thik what he taught us , could you ? if you know of him.

Afraid I don't remember him at all. The teachers I remember in my last year were Mick Board, who was my form master and English teacher, Eddie Moss (French) Mr Priest (Chemistry) Mr Holmes (physics) Mrs Fairest (history) and Mr Helliwell (maths). I can't remember the name of the geography teacher.

The picture I've posted of our 5th year only has about 20 kids in it - I think this is because it was the end of term and after we had taken 'O' levels so a lot of people had effectively left. I think I could name 8 out of the 9 boys and about 5 of the 11 girls.

Hi my name is Peter Grafton and I went to Owler Lane from 57-62.Does anyone remember me?My last form teacher before leaving was Mr Moss(French)and I believe the Geography teacher was called Mr Sellars.

I remember Geoff Worth as a very good footballer and of course I remember Ralph O'Donnell arriving as PE Teacher.

Did you by any chance sit behind me with a Malcolm Edmondson?:

I can remember being caned by Pashley and Holmes for talking in class!! and I once hit Miss Fairest the history teacher with a cricket ball as she passed across the playground!

Hi my name is Peter Grafton and I went to Owler Lane from 57-62.Does anyone remember me?My last form teacher before leaving was Mr Moss(French)and I believe the Geography teacher was called Mr Sellars.

I remember Geoff Worth as a very good footballer and of course I remember Ralph O'Donnell arriving as PE Teacher.

I can remember being caned by Pashley and Holmes for talking in class!! and I once hit Miss Fairest the history teacher with a cricket ball as she passed across the playground!

Hi Peter, I'm afraid I don't remember your name or Malcolm Edmondson and I think was definitely a year ahead of you. I might well recognise you though if I saw you. Thanks for reminding of Mr Sellars, I had forgotten him though I still can't picture him. The teacher I'm having trouble placing now is Mr Clark. I remember the name but I can't remember what he taught or what he was like. Well done hitting Mrs Fairest - poor thing! The same thing happened to me once when I got hit in the eye with a tennis ball - I played cricket for the school the next day with a black eye!

Not sure how to respond to this - for once I'm speachless.

I see from earlier posts you kept in touch with Ralph O'Donnell. I really liked Ralph. He arrived in time for our final year and revived the football and cricket teams. We hadn't had a proper sports master since the end of second year when a guy called Lupton left. So for 2 years we had no organised sport with other schools. Do you know where Ralph is now? I remember he once got us tickets for a cup tie against Burnley. He was a nice guy.

Hi Richard,

I am afraid Ralph passed away recently. I kept in touch with him by phone regularly up until then. A really great guy and I miss him terribly.

I still keep in touch with his nephew who is also a nice man. I have been able to fill him in on some of Ralph's football exploits as well as his teaching ability.

Regards Geoff

Hi Pete

I remember you well and hope you are keeping well. You will see my earlier reply to Richard regarding Ralph.

Stay in touch on the forum. I now look every couple of days now that people are writing again and it would be good to catch up.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Richard,

I am afraid Ralph passed away recently. I kept in touch with him by phone regularly up until then. A really great guy and I miss him terribly.

I still keep in touch with his nephew who is also a nice man. I have been able to fill him in on some of Ralph's football exploits as well as his teaching ability.

Regards Geoff

Thanks for letting me know Geoff. How very sad, he can't have been that old. I would love to have been able to talk to him again although I doubt he would have remembered me. He was a man of great integrity and ahead of his time as a teacher.

hello to every one on the site,l dont remember grafton 57 ,l think l must have been a year ahead.but l remember mr pashley and getting the stick for talking in his french class that he taught when he first came as a teacher.Richard mr clark taught geography with quite an effect if you got the wrong side of his bunsen burner rubber hose!

great to see all this activity ,by the way,unfortunately its 9 05,wine time a nice glass or two of red back on tommorow

great to see all this activity ,by the way,unfortunately its 9 05,wine time a nice glass or two of red back on tommorow

Quite right too! I'm doin this while watching the tennis.

I've read on the site about Mr Clark's tubing but I don't remember knowing about this when I was at the school. The only teacher who ever caned me at Owler Lane was Mr Glasby in a maths class in the second year.

l dont know if l wasa target for the cane fanatics but my list of caners is as follows,mr furness,mr lupton ,mr pashley, mr glasby( behind the blackboard). can any one remember the punishment book on display on a desk in the hall?it had derek dooley in the pages for all to see.do you remember at break time all the teachers having coffee at a table in the hall ? one of the girls who helped to serve up was a girl called jean or june burdon, a memmorable girl, quite well endowed, another was audrey knowles, also well endowed , does this say anything about our teachers?well l think this quote contains food for thought

Ouch, you really did have a tough time Derek. I don't remember Mr Furness ever caning anyone. He used to get a plimsol from one of the other kids and belt people on the backside with it while they bent over a desk.

I do remember all the staff getting together in the hall for coffee and tea both morning and afternoon but I don't remember the girls serving and certainly not their names.

The more I think about it, the more I think I might remember you - have you found yourself in any of the photos I posted?

hi once again richard, l have browsed over the photos,once more and can't see anyone l remember. my last year was 4b and l left in july 1960, l got special permission to leave at 15 because l had managed to get myself an apprenticeship with captain boyd-rochford ,the queens trainer for her flat race horses at newmarket. l was quite a good rider back in those days.after l left all the apprentice jockeys went on strike for better conditions in there lodgings and more money,the point being that this gave me time to rethink about leaving the comfort of my home and family,the family and comfort came out a clear winner,if you can pardon the pun.this resulted in me spending the summer of 1960 going riding at the stables where l had learnt to ride ,going to show jump meetings before my dad said son time for work,and l got a job at sanderson brothers and newbold as an apprentice universal grinder.any thats enough for one night about my exciting life,some of the future chapters are equally as thrilling as the first one.watch this space for more to come