Any one go to Owler Lane Intermediate school

Sorry PD have to disgree, they were probably the most exciting objects in that room. With all the daydreaming and boredom in room 4, I mean ever tried playing the recorder and really and getting in to Dear Ken John Peel...not easy if you know what I mean!

Hi Crusty bread - sorry I didn't seem to find the busts exciting, but I enjoyed music!! We didn't get to play any instruments though, so that must have come after I had started that school, but Ken John Peel leaves a lot to be desired doesn't it? how exciting! Seems you were in my sisters years but I don't remember her playing a recorder either, maybe I'm wrong - sure she'll put me right on that one!!

Hi Crusty bread - sorry I didn't seem to find the busts exciting, but I enjoyed music!! We didn't get to play any instruments though, so that must have come after I had started that school, but Ken John Peel leaves a lot to be desired doesn't it? how exciting! Seems you were in my sisters years but I don't remember her playing a recorder either, maybe I'm wrong - sure she'll put me right on that one!!

Hi there PD music was quite a big part of our school day seeing as we started everyday with a hymn or two and Mr Glasby on the grand piano in the hall. To this day certain hymn might be on tv or on a rare visit to church if a hymn we sang at school comes on I`m there in my mind. Memory test now "Breath on me breath of god fill me with life a new". where did that come from! I think it must have been my favourite.

Hi there PD music was quite a big part of our school day seeing as we started everyday with a hymn or two and Mr Glasby on the grand piano in the hall. To this day certain hymn might be on tv or on a rare visit to church if a hymn we sang at school comes on I`m there in my mind. Memory test now "Breath on me breath of god fill me with life a new". where did that come from! I think it must have been my favourite.

Hi CB, I always think of school when I hear or sing, Lord they word abideth, or Who would true valour see. Funny isn't it how certain tunes bring back various memories of the past? Cheers, PD

Hi CB, I always think of school when I hear or sing, Lord they word abideth, or Who would true valour see. Funny isn't it how certain tunes bring back various memories of the past? Cheers, PD

No musical instruments for me sis in Glasby's class,must have been a man thing! Jerusalem!!

No musical instruments for me sis in Glasby's class,must have been a man thing! Jerusalem!!

Yes, Jerusalem was another favourite!

Sorry PD have to disgree, they were probably the most exciting objects in that room. With all the daydreaming and boredom in room 4, I mean ever tried playing the recorder and really and getting in to Dear Ken John Peel...not easy if you know what I mean!

Dear Ken John Peel ? It's Do you Ken. dear, dear. Think yourself lucky Glasby is not around ! I've seen him push one of those huge blackboard on wheels, right across the classroom in temper.

You are right about the music of course, he was an enthusiast and I think engendered a lasting appreciation of classical music. I still can't listen to the Sorccerer's Apprentice without remembering his explanation ( and of course his fiddling with the needles )

It is also very true regarding school music generally. I still love those glorious old hymns that we used to sing at assembley, the last one we sang on the afternoon we left for good was, The Day thou Givest Lord is Ended.

Do you remember The Trout and Where the Bee Sucks, a la Glasby ?

I certainly remember singing those two songs, along with Nymphs & Shepherds and Cherry Ripe!! Wonder if they still sing those sort of songs today - guess not!!!!

Must admit I enjoyed singing in all the choirs there - joined as many as I could and even went on to join the Sheffield Schools choir through Glasby. Great fun.

Dear Ken John Peel ? It's Do you Ken. dear, dear. Think yourself lucky Glasby is not around ! I've seen him push one of those huge blackboard on wheels, right across the classroom in temper.

You are right about the music of course, he was an enthusiast and I think engendered a lasting appreciation of classical music. I still can't listen to the Sorccerer's Apprentice without remembering his explanation ( and of course his fiddling with the needles )

It is also very true regarding school music generally. I still love those glorious old hymns that we used to sing at assembley, the last one we sang on the afternoon we left for good was, The Day thou Givest Lord is Ended.

Do you remember The Trout and Where the Bee Sucks, a la Glasby ?

Nope don`t remember them but was there one called The bite of the humble flee or have I got it wrong again.

Pehaps I do recall the Where the bee sucks but I don`t feel inclined to chancing the second line. Don`t want to upset Mr Glasby you are right he a hell of a temper.

Nope don`t remember them but was there one called The bite of the humble flee or have I got it wrong again.

Pehaps I do recall the Where the bee sucks but I don`t feel inclined to chancing the second line. Don`t want to upset Mr Glasby you are right he a hell of a temper.

Ah please continue we need the laugh and lurpak

Ah please continue we need the laugh and lurpak

Nofats did anyone ever nip up to that cafe at Firvale where they had a Jukebox I know it was out of bounds but so was Wincobank Hill. I remember going and I was not alone.Sixpence a record so it was quite expensive. First time I heard Elvis singing Wooden Heart, Ricky Nelson was another favourite and of course good old Cliff with Move it. Don`t remember seeing Mr Glasby there.

..........................Elvis forever...............CB

The one by the tram stop ? you had to be quite naughty to go in there ! I remember going in there once or twice. Did a mean hot dog ! but as you say a tad expensive. Must have been a bit later than me, I remember the juke box costing 3d., one of the brass things with lots of corners - recall jamming it up with one of those red plastic tram tokens. Favourite record Fats Domino - not Blueberry Hill "Yes it's me and I'm in love again" or words to that effect, was the first line.

I also know what went on up Winkobank Hill. You dirty bird !

I don't remember that cafe. 6d a record sounds a bit expensive for that time. You must have had plenty of spending money! I'm a Cliff fan rather than Elvis, but good old Rock 'n' Roll times eh?!