Any one go to Owler Lane Intermediate school

I remember going back to Owler Lane in full uniform on my 1st leave from the Navy in 1960, just to see my class members who had stayed on to complete their GCE's. Pop Gregory fussed all over me beaming with pride and Albert Lupton glowered at me muttering about not joining the Royal Marines. It was ironic that I sat by the stage talking to the lads and lasses, where 2 years before I had been caned before the whole school at morning assembly!!

It is also ironic that many years later at age 25, I sat in the confines of a grey, dark, ship's messdeck and sat 5 GCE's with 5 passes. Pop would have been pleased.

Odd how we all seem to remember the canings !

We were ruled by the big stick or slipper fom the 1st year to the 5th year, didn't do us much harm perhaps it taught us repect which seems to be lacking today. more of the cannings later perhaps. How about the school football teams which played on saturday mornings against other sheffield schools. the male teachers took turn at refereeing these games. At High Stores one week Boris had a turn, he turned up in along gabadene raincoat, trllby hat and trousers tucked into a pair of wellies. whistle in hand and a large stop watch, he blasted the whistle stood for the whole of the match off the pitch near the halfway line whistled for half time ,the re start and for full time. the teams sorted the rest out between them. A very sporting occasion don't you think. other out of school activities included swiming at woodthorpe school baths it started in school hours but finished well after home time we were late home from school unless you lied in the Manor area.

I started there there '53. I went past the site a couple of weeks ago, the fine old stone buildings have gone, to be replaced with what looks like a large Pizza Hut - how do they get away with it ?

My first teacher was Mr. Harrison ( this was in the prefabs ), not a bad sort but a ferocious "caner". I once saw him throw a cig into the waste bin and to his embarrassment the whole lot went up in flames.

Mr. Lupton was our P.E., teacher, he was at least 7 feet tall and had little time for whingers. He once made us play football ( we used the redcaps field ), in thick snow - we all ended-up partly snowblind.

Miss Unwin, wasn't she the secrertary ? Could be wrong.

Mr. Helliwell took us for maths, surely the most boring teacher ever, although I met him a few years after and he seemed a really nice chap. Once when somebody flicked a paper pellet and bobody would admit to it He caned half the class - literally.

Mr. Glasby for music, I can still remember some of the things he taught us about music, but he had a short and fierce temper.

Mr. Hook, short and dark, fancied himself as a bit of a character, Mr. Board, the two Mr Moss's for french - one of them affected a small beard and a beret very continental.

Lots more, all presided over by "Pop" Gregory; a rather eccentric man, but a genuine teacher. Never knew him use the cane either, but he could reduce one to tears with one of his rollickings.

Do you remember Dolly Hymans tuck shop or the "hill" ?

I remember going to the tuck shop on the corner and buying "Nobbies" I think they called them. They were like maltesers without the chocolate and I loved them!

My Wife Christina Stevenson as was went 1951-56, she remembers all those teachers also a Mr Lupton who was the PE teacher for the boys.She also had a french teacher who she remembers having very polished shoes but they were so old his little toes popped out of the cracks on the sides.Mrs. Fairest was a stickler for making the girls tie their hair back if it touched the collar if no ribbon to hand she would use anything string, shoelaces etc.Many a time she lost her beret to the lads from the redcaps school(Firth Park Grammer)whilst travelling home on the tram.Happy times.

Thanks Harlan for putting me in touch with Christina. It was great to meet up after all those years and we had a good natter as you can imagine. I look forward to seeing her again some time. Thanks again, it was great.

Come on all you ex-Owler Lane Intermediates - thought there would be much more response than we have had! It's good to recall the happy and not so happy memories!!

I started in 1952 my form master being Mr Harrison. Not a bad guy really. Enjoyed the English lessons with Hooky,thought he was great as was the science teacher whose name escapes me. I did not get on at all with Mr Moss the French teacher. Joe Lupton was a bully. I always enjoyed woodwork with Mr Sumner.

I started in 1952 my form master being Mr Harrison. Not a bad guy really. Enjoyed the English lessons with Hooky,thought he was great as was the science teacher whose name escapes me. I did not get on at all with Mr Moss the French teacher. Joe Lupton was a bully. I always enjoyed woodwork with Mr Sumner.

I also started in 1952 but was in Mrs. Vernon's class, she taught French as well as Mr. Moss. Eventually there were two French Teachers by the name of Mr. Moss, one with a beard, the other who showered you every time he spoke!

Come on all you ex-Owler Lane Intermediates - thought there would be much more response than we have had! It's good to recall the happy and not so happy memories!!

We are a small, but elite group, don't expect too much

You were probably in the same 1st year as myself, were you in the huts ? Glad you mentioned Mr Sumner, the woodwork teacher - big burly chap - I've been trying to recall of his name.

My first form room was room #1 with Mr Harrison. If I remember correctly I think it was at the bottom of the stairs which led up to 'Pop' Gregory's office. In the 'huts' I think we had Art in one classroom with Mrs Fairhurst.

I remember some of the guys in my form. Alan Denial,Jimmy Ross, Syd Stevenson,Alan Croker,to name a few.