Doorstep selling

Just had one of the usual guys at the door trying to sell me, not sure what, I never let it get that far.

I never buy anything from them, I try to get rid of them ASAP, why waste my time or theirs?

Today I had to go downstairs in my dressing gown as it was about time the postman calls. It's a nuisance. On the other hand they do look as if life hasn't been kind, I'd not mind giving them a couple of quid except that would encourage the practise. "No doorstep sales" notices don't work.

I wonder what the background story is? They've always got a card they flash to prove they're registered doorstep sellers or something - what are they, do they really have any validity? Who issues them? Where do these guys get their stock? Is someone else sending them out and taking half the money they make? Is there a better way of helping these guys? Does anyone actually buy from them or do people just give them a quid to go away? How much do they earn? If some people do give them a quid they only need one every 10 mins to be on the equivalent of statutory minimum wage, I guess that might be quite a realistic target in some parts of town.

Just had one of the usual guys at the door trying to sell me, not sure what, I never let it get that far.

I never buy anything from them, I try to get rid of them ASAP, why waste my time or theirs?

Today I had to go downstairs in my dressing gown as it was about time the postman calls. It's a nuisance. On the other hand they do look as if life hasn't been kind, I'd not mind giving them a couple of quid except that would encourage the practise. "No doorstep sales" notices don't work.

I wonder what the background story is? They've always got a card they flash to prove they're registered doorstep sellers or something - what are they, do they really have any validity? Who issues them? Where do these guys get their stock? Is someone else sending them out and taking half the money they make? Is there a better way of helping these guys? Does anyone actually buy from them or do people just give them a quid to go away? How much do they earn? If some people do give them a quid they only need one every 10 mins to be on the equivalent of statutory minimum wage, I guess that might be quite a realistic target in some parts of town.

simple answer to this is, don't open ya door to em, they'll soon float

Today I had to go downstairs in my dressing gown as it was about time the postman calls.

I'm not sure what to read into this bit... :o

Why would you give the postman a couple of quid?

Put a sticker on your door that says no cold callers.

Just get a looking-glass fitted in the door to see who it is when they knock

Put a sticker on your door that says no cold callers.

Thats easier said than done. If its a very cold day, and one of your favourite relatives calls round, then they will be stood at your doorstep feeling quite cold. However, when they read your "No Cold Callers" note, they will feel very rejected and may leave in a huff. Imagine the impact that may have on any future inheritance that they may bequeath to you.

Nah. Better to have a note saying "No Cold Callers During British Summertime".

We had a bloke turn up the other day with an "ID" that looked like a 5 year old did it that authenticated him as an ex-offender trying to flog various tat. Do I want to buy at the door, no. Do I want to buy at the door from someone with a very dodgy ID that identifies him as a criminal. Double no.

I'm wondering if the OP lives on the same road as me, we had a doorstep seller around that time with a smart answer why he was ignoring our "No cold callers" sign. He got short shrift here as well.

I'm wondering if the OP lives on the same road as me, we had a doorstep seller around that time with a smart answer why he was ignoring our "No cold callers" sign. He got short shrift here as well.

What was the smart answer? I might use it next time. :hihi:

i have to say that a sales pitch beginning with "I've just got out of prison" fails to fill me with confidence.

We dont get cold callers cos of the great danes who jump in the bay window goin mad if anyone so much as puts a toe on our drive (they're all talk) :)