Advice- Fleas in house and car but no pets!

Anyone managed to get rid of fleas in their car and home?

We don't have any pets but we've managed to get fleas in our car and house. This only started 5/6 weeks ago and co-incided with having a new carpet laid. Pest man thinks there's a possibility of an old carpet contaminated our new one:( we've had a pest control company spray the house last week but I was still getting bitten so they've returned to spray a different type. Thought I'd got bitten in the car so asked him to spray that too.

Think I'm cross contaminating car and home.

I know that fogging is next step in home but what about the car? Can you do that in a car?

Anyone managed to get rid of fleas in their car and home?

We don't have any pets but we've managed to get fleas in our car and house. This only started 5/6 weeks ago and co-incided with having a new carpet laid. Pest man thinks there's a possibility of an old carpet contaminated our new one:( we've had a pest control company spray the house last week but I was still getting bitten so they've returned to spray a different type. Thought I'd got bitten in the car so asked him to spray that too.

Think I'm cross contaminating car and home.

I know that fogging is next step in home but what about the car? Can you do that in a car?

I think it's extremely unlikely they're in your car.

What's fogging?

Just read up on this and you need a flea collar. OK, that was a bit of a joke but, vacuum daily AND stick a flea collar in your vacuum cleaner bag. This way, any fleas vacuumed up will die before they can escape.

Here's a nifty website

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/diseasesall/a/befreeoffleas_3.htm

I'm itchy now!

Fleas aren't bothered if you're a pet or not so long as you have blood. Flea collars are not that good at dealing with problem but there are household sprays that are very effective.

or....

....fetch someone elses pet in the house long enough for the fleas to adopt the new blood donor then kick it out the door quickly.

you havent got dead birds/rats/mice/a cat in the loft/cellar/under floorboards have you?? i remember when i was a kid, i was constantly getting bitten by fleas and it turned out there was a rats nest under the floorboards - they had been poisoned with ratkiller by my dad, but died under the floorboards.

there was a horrible smell for a few weeks afterwards, and it was only when my dad got a bloke in to sort out the fleas and he asked if we had noticed any funny smells that he identified the problem.

hope you get it sorted

Get a decent household flea spray & do all along the skirting boards. Then a general spray over the carpet. Then if you have a fabric sofa / upholstered dining chairs give them a blast too.

I don't think they'd be in your car. The night time tempratures in a car would surely kill them off.

Get a decent household flea spray & do all along the skirting boards. Then a general spray over the carpet. Then if you have a fabric sofa / upholstered dining chairs give them a blast too.

I don't think they'd be in your car. The night time tempratures in a car would surely kill them off.

It kills some of the buggers but in the early stages it won't touch them :) got to admire the liitle blighters.

indorex is one of the good sprays my cats had them last spring after spraying had no fleas since it also protects for 12 months and i about £11 a can. i would buy them then send a bill to the carpet company.

Fleas can lay dormant for up to 10 years they awake when another animal or blood source comes in eg. walking over carpets because you have a new carpet probably disturbed them as lay dormant in skirting boards. Not to sure about car. I got some spray off ebay really good called Flea Guard £6 it also kills larvae spiders cockroaches ants and a lot more. Hope this helps

Edited by paulabear
spelling

What's fogging?

Its like dogging, but for fleas.

They use bug bombs that turn to fog around your rooms,gets in every nook and cranny.You cant occupy your home for a few days.

the amount of chemicals being suggested is making me cringe

I think I'd be exploring steam cleaning first