River loxley today

Was on claywheels lane this morning and noticed 3 or 4 cars parked up all along the lane leading down to abbey forgings. on driving past i saw at least 6 anglers fishing in the river.Now i know yorkshire has by laws during the close season allowing fishing with worm only, but i dont believe for one minute that was the only bait they were using.Seems to me that they were blatantly flouting the close season law,not saying i totally disapprove if this really was the case, good on em , its about time somebody started the ball rolling to as to overturn this outdated nonsense that serves very little ( if any ) purpose at all.Interested to hear what you forummers think.

you mean the river don surely

always thought the loxley joined the don at owlerton dog track ( probably wrong, usually am )

you mean the river don surely

You are right it's the River Don on claywheels lane, the River Loxley joins the River Rivelin at Malin Bridge, and as another poster says then meets the Don near the Owlerton dog track,

i walk my dog down there most days and there's always someone fishing during the close season with maggots, corn etc. when challenged they reply that the e.a never patrol down there so they're safe.

You are right it's the River Don on claywheels lane, the River Loxley joins the River Rivelin at Malin Bridge, and as another poster says then meets the Don near the Owlerton dog track,

anyhow, what about the lads fishing close season ?

what about it..?report it if you feel that you must...:P:P:P

i walk my dog down there most days and there's always someone fishing during the close season with maggots, corn etc. when challenged they reply that the e.a never patrol down there so they're safe.

Thanks charliewag, Just what i am saying,time to stand up and be counted re the close season nonsense

anyhow, what about the lads fishing close season ?

But if they were fishing with worms they wasn't doing anything wrong, further up the river at Oughtibridge near the bridge they fish that stretch as well, personally I cannot see anything wrong as you can still fish ponds lakes etc as normal.

Edited by rev43

But if they were fishing with worms they wasn't doing anything wrong, further up the river at Oughtibridge near the bridge they fish that stretch as well, personally I cannot see anything wrong as you can still fish ponds lakes etc as normal.

exactly what i am saying rev43,why can we fish ponds lakes ect, but not rivers???

exactly what i am saying rev43,why can we fish ponds lakes ect, but not rivers???

thats a simple one mate, money !!

the close season is there to allow fish to spawn and for the vegetation to recover. rivers don't get fished as much as they did so the banks don't need time to recover. when fish spawn all the fishery owner has to do is close it for 2 weeks as happens on some stillwaters. fish don't automatically spawn in this period, only when the water temperature is correct meaning the new season may have started when they do decide to spawn.