Walkley Dental Practice

i would recommend lwt dentists on leppings lane, they are all really nice there especially Alison who is very understanding and patient, as i have just had root canal and i'm a wimp when it comes to visiting the dentist! :)

I am a nurse at this practice. And yes I may be biased slightly but we are a good practice and the staff are very caring. You may not believe it but we deal with extremely phobic patients day in, day out. So we are very used to this and very understanding. My sister is very phobic for instance, Infact she's probably one of the worse cases of dental phobia I have had to work with in the 9 years I've done this job. It's one of those things in this profession that you have to be extremely understanding and caring because there are not many people who like to come.

As for the comments on here about registering somewhere else, I would ignore them and give us a try. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but we are a really friendly bunch. I would suggest to anyone who is unhappy with there treatment for whatever reason to fill in one of our compliments and complaints forms and send to head office. It's a stamped addressed envelope and as we are part of the largest corporate company in the uk they accept any point of views gratefully. It actually helps staff development. After all, we can't improve on things if there not brought to our attention.

If you are really worried or have any questions, please pm me or call in and I'll help you in anyway I can. I hope you have not been too put off by the negativity of others.

You are a coroprate enterprise focused on profit employing dentists on a low salary and charging nhs full wack,keeping the difference.

I used to use Walkley Dental practice. When Dentist Darren left I transferred over to his new practice in Ecclesfield. Why? Well, I spent several happy years with Darren at Walkley, only ever needing scale & polish. Darren left so I saw a new dentist there who on the first consultation said I was looking at immediate costly & lengthy treatment as my dental health was 'poor'. When I saw Darren, guess what? All I needed was my usual scale & polish. Hmmm?...This was four years ago, so maybe things have changed since then. Just glad I had sense to seek advice elsewhere. ps I still have all my teeth. Still only needing a scale & polish!

Darren was a good lad,a real local lad.

I am nikolays nurse, I'm on holiday next week though unfortunately but the other girls are equally as nice. By the way nik is a man! If you have any questions in the mean time, just let me know. You can always pop in and ask for me? Or ring? My names Laura by the way.

Yeah the girls on reception are really nice!! I know we have had a lot of bad press the past few years at walkley, but we have a new team of brilliant staff now and are working so hard to improve constantly. That's why the feedback forms are good, any kind of feedback is productive.

Anyway, we are currently taking NHS patients, but also provide private work if necessary. Our dentists have years of experience and are very understanding. We are always working on timekeeping but unfortunately in this line of work it's not always possible to be punctual at all times. We like to offer care in emergencies to our patients and don't like them to feel rushed as this often adds to the stress of patients. So sometimes we are running late. We don't like to run late either and really do try our best to avoid this. If anyone is interested in registering, just pop in with some photo ID and we'll get an appointment sorted for you!!

A fair and intelligent reply- I do hope that things have improved.

I left several years ago as it had gone badly downhill- I was prett annoyed at the time as it's a pain finding a new dentists.

I just hope that, if the practice is on the up again, that staff do take seriously the many complaints mentioned on this, and, several other SF threads- if they do, then best of luck to the practice.

Good luck finding a dentist - all the ones I seem to go to you end up seeing a different dentist everytime. I left the Walkley practice after being there for years for that very reason, only to be experiencing the same problem again. All the dentists left to move over to the practice near Ecclesfield....

Hi,

I need to register with a dentist, hoping to find one that still takes NHS patients. I've read very mixed reviews about the Walkley practice, so I wonder if there are any more recent comments about it? It is the one nearest to me, but I'd be prepared to travel a bit for a good dentist, so any information gratefully received.

Cheers!

Hi,

I need to register with a dentist, hoping to find one that still takes NHS patients. I've read very mixed reviews about the Walkley practice, so I wonder if there are any more recent comments about it? It is the one nearest to me, but I'd be prepared to travel a bit for a good dentist, so any information gratefully received.

Cheers!

I went to a private dentist for years. Unfortunately I can no longer afford this so I registered with this practice. On my 2nd and final visit the dentist decided without discussion to bridge an existing filling onto a non filled tooth, this was done without anesthetic. It took 45 minutes and I was left feeling very bruised. I was not offered a scrape and polish by the dentist on either visit, if I wanted one I could pay an extra £48 and this could be done with the hygienist! Might as well have stayed private as this should be part of a check up.

The 'filling' lasted 8 weeks and thankfully fell out as it was not needed and was causing toothache, it is just a way to extract cash from the NHS, no pun intended!

I am now with http://www.nhs.uk/Services/dentists/Overview/DefaultView.aspx?id=23765, who x rayed all the area and agreed no filling had been needed. Give them a try, I have found them to be excellent., and they include a scrape and polish unlike Integrated Dental Holdings trading as Walkley Dental Practice.

I went to a private dentist for years. Unfortunately I can no longer afford this so I registered with this practice. On my 2nd and final visit the dentist decided without discussion to bridge an existing filling onto a non filled tooth, this was done without anesthetic. It took 45 minutes and I was left feeling very bruised. I was not offered a scrape and polish by the dentist on either visit, if I wanted one I could pay an extra £48 and this could be done with the hygienist! Might as well have stayed private as this should be part of a check up.

The 'filling' lasted 8 weeks and thankfully fell out as it was not needed and was causing toothache, it is just a way to extract cash from the NHS, no pun intended!

I am now with http://www.nhs.uk/Services/dentists/Overview/DefaultView.aspx?id=23765, who x rayed all the area and agreed no filling had been needed. Give them a try, I have found them to be excellent., and they include a scrape and polish unlike Integrated Dental Holdings trading as Walkley Dental Practice.

Thank you! I shall give them a try.

Cheers!

Whatever you do, avoid Walkley Dental Centre. Contrary to what has been claimed in earlier posts, the staff there are not only rude but also incompetent. I visited the other day, was asked to make a payment and then got forgotten about in the waiting area, despite sitting only feet away from the receptionists.

The rest of my family are all registered at School Road Dental Practice and have nothing but praise for them. They are registering NHS patients at the moment.

I registered with Walkley Dental Centre quite recently. For what it's worth, my experience is that they're well-organised, and I was very happy with the dentist that I saw, who explained everything clearly and generally put me at my ease. I wouldn't be put off by the post above, which doesn't seem to be typical.

I wouldn't be put off by the post above, which doesn't seem to be typical.

I wouldn't be put off by one negative comment either. The thing is there are several negative comments in the thread. I went there once or twice a few years ago just after it changed and wasn't that impressed.

There isn't much choice of NHS dentists these days so we need to know which are good and which are bad. On balance this one doesn't sound great. How else would I judge?

Never my favourite thing or place to go but been going here for three years.

As far as I am concerned as good as it gets, I would recommend.