What are the best ways to train for chinups?

Yes those 3 were the physical tests required to gain entry to the army.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Yes those 3 were the physical tests required to gain entry to the army.

u got any good tips on beeptests

and runing

i can run 2 mins in 10 mins and over 5 miles just over 30 mins

Originally posted by davecool

u got any good tips on beeptests

and runing

i can run 2 mins in 10 mins and over 5 miles just over 30 mins

A couple of local leisure centres used to run a combat circuit on Mondays and Wednesdays (not sure if they still do) If they do then I would recommend you give it a try. Some of the stuff they do has basically come from the army although not as disciplined. You will need to push yourself though. With regards to the running I'd mark out a course 1.5 miles long and time yourself and try to get the time down. I'm not sure what regiment you are interested in but if it's a combat role then you'd be wise to prepare yourself for long tabs and speed marches with lots of weight.

thats the three physical tests at the army careers (when i went) then you have your other tests, then your down (i was) to pirbright for your full med and physical.

obviously try to increase you triceps, all three heads, but like lickszz says, you should try to get into a routine like they will put you through, know your enemy and in this case its a physical test, lol.

Originally posted by tombodojoj

thats the three physical tests at the army careers (when i went) then you have your other tests, then your down (i was) to pirbright for your full med and physical.

obviously try to increase you triceps, all three heads, but like lickszz says, you should try to get into a routine like they will put you through, know your enemy and in this case its a physical test, lol.

aye m8 i run 4 days a week 3 days weights

before i am signing up to join army i ran for 1 year but

chinups i am worrying about if i get to do army test again and i do good in all tests but not chinups i am thinking that they not pass me but army man said has many has u can.

thats cool then, do you stay straight when doing chin ups, or do you jerk out and in?

basically do chin up after chin up after chin up. try doing the motion of the chin up while standing straight, tense your triceps and up slow down slown (dynamic strength) before you do the tricep on a bar try doing the motion with a light tension just 1 rep of 8-12 to warm up the muscles then attempt the pull up. :)

as for the martial artists!you all goin with battouchan to hallam next sat?

Hi Davecool,

the main muscles involved in performing chin-up is the large upper back muscle Latissimus Dorsi and Biceps Brachii...

triceps will do nothing to assist in this exercise. (although you should always adopt a balanced exercise routine)

Concentrate in building upper back and bicep strength first and foremost. The reverse press-up is and ideal exercise to help you achieve this.

You could also do this by performing either uni-lateral or

bi-lateral rowing exercises with dumbells or cable equipment. If you would like further assistance in this matter feel free to contact me via the forum or email or you could pop in to The Source fitness suite near Meadowhall (Sheffield) and I or the other fitness staff will be more than glad to help you reach your goals. We can talk you through the exercise and demonstrate it (no charge) .... so you can practice in the comfort of your own home. We will be only to glad to help...Just ask for Andy....

Good Luck

Do you use a gym with an assisted chin and dip station? You rest your knees on a platform and set how much of your weight you want the machine to take. Find a weight that you can do 3 sets of 8-12 reps with then gradually reduce the weight you are being assisted. You can then train by lifting a ten stone body until you can work your way up to your full weight.

More effective than only being able to manage 2-3 reps and working up from there. If you were training to bench press 100kg you wouldn't start with the full weight, you'd start by reducing the weight and gradually build it up over a number of weeks. Same goes for chinups.

PK

Originally posted by GimmeSomePK

Do you use a gym with an assisted chin and dip station? You rest your knees on a platform and set how much of your weight you want the machine to take. Find a weight that you can do 3 sets of 8-12 reps with then gradually reduce the weight you are being assisted. You can then train by lifting a ten stone body until you can work your way up to your full weight.

More effective than only being able to manage 2-3 reps and working up from there. If you were training to bench press 100kg you wouldn't start with the full weight, you'd start by reducing the weight and gradually build it up over a number of weeks. Same goes for chinups.

PK

yes mate i be useing a assisted chin and dip station. now at the new gym i join i be doing 3 sets of 10 at 42 kg assisted also i be working more on my arms and back has well.

next week i will try less weight on the assisted chin and dip station.