Gamestation, The Moor.. in administration!

There was nothing to stop Game doing better & competing online. It's clearly poor management. I feel sorry for the (ex) staff.

Agreed. Yet another arm of the entertainment industry that didn't move with the times. The disc is dead. Any High Street retailer who hasn't prepared for the switch in media will naturally suffer.

I remember when HMV were on about offering a service (Before the WWW went mental) whereby customers could purchase songs and have them uploaded to their media player in-store, they never seemed to bother implementing it.

Fact is, they, like many other games stores, enjoy the Pre-Owned market as they could make a killing selling the same copy of a game over and over. I don't think this would have worked so well for them online and with regards to selling new games, Amazon and Play had that sorted early.

But Game had 3 of those expensive units at Meadowhall. How does that make any kind of financial sense? Poor management methinks.

Yup having 3 stores less than 2 minutes walk between them was stupid. Again not meadowhall fault. No wonder you never got a job at GAME rich.

Agreed. Yet another arm of the entertainment industry that didn't move with the times. The disc is dead. Any High Street retailer who hasn't prepared for the switch in media will naturally suffer.

I remember when HMV were on about offering a service (Before the WWW went mental) whereby customers could purchase songs and have them uploaded to their media player in-store, they never seemed to bother implementing it.

Fact is, they, like many other games stores, enjoy the Pre-Owned market as they could make a killing selling the same copy of a game over and over. I don't think this would have worked so well for them online and with regards to selling new games, Amazon and Play had that sorted early.

CEX manage to do second hand games online, their website isn't as bad.

eBay pretty much has it covered though, as far as buying & selling second hand stuff online goes. I suppose shops offer more of a guarantee & more checks, but they take a higher margin too.

I haven't heard any rumours of CEX going bust, but for all I know they could be next.

Exactly.. But of course rather than figure that out for themselves, some people would rather troll/bait me :loopy:

You said you would boycott Meadowhall 'in protest' - that is not the same as not going because the shop you wanted to visit no longer exists.

Yup having 3 stores less than 2 minutes walk between them was stupid. Again not meadowhall fault. No wonder you never got a job at GAME rich.

A few years ago their shops used to get really busy, especially around Christmas & they needed 2 shops. Then it died off a bit & they opened a third :huh:

eBay pretty much has it covered though, as far as buying & selling second hand stuff online goes. I suppose shops offer more of a guarantee & more checks, but they take a higher margin too.

I haven't heard any rumours of CEX going bust, but for all I know they could be next.

Pre-owned isn't the reason Game went bust, credit was.

Whilst the physical media still exists, there will always be a pre-owned market. The big one over the next few years is the death of the disc. Pre-owned won't be worth anything with regards to games.

I doubt CEX make most of there income from games more likely the dodgy phones/laptop's and ipods etc and idiots with ds and games lol

Edited by denomis

Game/Gamestation are the main shops I use in Meadowhall, go figure.

That's not what you said though is it. You used the word 'boycott', it's in black and white.

Am I boycotting Meadowhall Retail park because there's no shops there I need to visit? No, I've just got no reason to go there. Go figure.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks CEX's phones and laptops are dodgy.

Really is a shame that we are heading for a time where we will no longer be able to take the cheaper route and get games second hand.

All those people that say "oh but games come down in price fast!!" are in for a SERIOUS shock.

The second hand market drives the prices down of new games quickly because studios have to compete with the lower pricing.

As soon as all media goes digital, there will be no such competition, games pricing will rise, and you will be paying full price for the same game for years after release. People will pay the prices though, as they cannot get the games from any other source.

You could argue that steam have sales on often and whatnot, BUT they still have to compete with disc based sales, and second hand sales of PC too. Once that competition is gone, say goodbye to those sales.

XBL is another good example, DLC, the arcade selection etc the games that have been there since day one... still the same price now. DLC as well. Why? no competition.

Gaming is going to be one seriously expensive hobby ;-)

Oh and an interesting quote from neogaf:

4 of the 5 Sheffield shops gone. I'll miss GameStation on the Moor, used to pop in on the way into work when there was a big release.

As for Playtime, I was in there on Saturday and one of the staff was explaining to a kid why he wasn't offering much for his trade-in by saying that they didn't have to compete with Game any more :S

Yes, competition indeed.

It makes me laugh when I hear how "if pre owned games weren't available new games would be cheaper" errrm no they wouldn't publishers would have us bent over and gagged ala pulp fiction

4/5 stores gone? We still have two gamestation meadowhall and game crystal peaks. Park gates not too far away either

Edited by denomis