Meersbrook Allotments

I have been offered an allotment in Meersbrook and went to see it a few days ago. As expected the plot has shoulder high brambles all over and will need a lot of work to even get it clear. But having spoken to a few people on the site and read a couple of old posts on here I'm a little nervous. Aside from the problems a couple of people pointed out throughout the site with some plots apparently being so rocky they are unplantable quite a few people mentioned the gates and theft and vandalism. Are there continuing issues with this? The plot is at the top and has clearly had visitors judging by the cans of Carling!

Sad fact of life is you will get the theft and vandalism on any site, thats why you dont leave valuables on your allotment. Only thing you can do is secure your plot as best as possible and hope! I would have thought Meersbrook wasnt as bad as some though having the gates & perimeter fencing.

I thought I had secured ours but turns out it was nowhere near good enough. And stupidly I had left things on the plot, so we've had a lot of stuff stolen within the past couple of days. They've also vandalised our new polytunnel, and trampled on some pea seedlings on their way up the plot from wherever they broke in from. A lady a few plots down from me has also had things stolen recently. Not to put you off! Like gunner1980 said, just don't leave anything on your plot. I certainly won't be doing in future. Or if I do, I'm getting a really secure lock-up in place.

It's a shame we're just meant to accept it though as a fact of life. Surely if enough of us tenants kicked up enough fuss to the police and the allotments office we could do something about it?? I saw an article on the news the other day about an allotment site being patrolled by police with night vision goggles!

I thought I had secured ours but turns out it was nowhere near good enough. And stupidly I had left things on the plot, so we've had a lot of stuff stolen within the past couple of days. They've also vandalised our new polytunnel, and trampled on some pea seedlings on their way up the plot from wherever they broke in from. A lady a few plots down from me has also had things stolen recently. Not to put you off! Like gunner1980 said, just don't leave anything on your plot. I certainly won't be doing in future. Or if I do, I'm getting a really secure lock-up in place.

It's a shame we're just meant to accept it though as a fact of life. Surely if enough of us tenants kicked up enough fuss to the police and the allotments office we could do something about it?? I saw an article on the news the other day about an allotment site being patrolled by police with night vision goggles!

You need to obtain incident numbers from the police for every act of theft, trespass or vandalism that happens and get the society or fellow plot holder to keep a diary and log of those numbers, only then will the police do anything about it. I do know for a fact that thousands of pounds have been spent on Meersbrooks security fence and the council will be unlikely to do anything more. I doubt anyy more could be done. The issue on Meersbrook is that it is the singlle biggest site in Sheffield and also one of the most in need of attention on its plots so it is a site with many opportunities for thieves and vandals. I am aware that police patrolled some allotments a couple of years ago with a marked improvement in incident figures on those sites just through police presence.. this does take time and pressure to achieve tho. Good Luck

not been to my plot for around a month and was dismayed to discover yesterday that some scroats have been on and taken my disassembled greenhouses (one new, waiting to go up and one that blew down over the winter). They must have come in over next door (my neighbours plot is very accessible). Looks like they've also taken two paraffin heaters and some other bits and bobs.

Guess they'll make a few quid from the scrapyard - surely that business needs to be better regulated.

It's helped me make the decision to give up my plot next year. It's about the fourth time I've had stuff stolen (on Meersbrook, near to the top car park)

Edited by mc55

I have to say im amazed at the amount of stuff that goes on at Meersbrook, there seems to be lots of thefts despite there being the perimeter fencing and the notices on the gates to keep them locked etc. Sounds like its other plot holders!

I have recently cleared my allotment and have found no end of scrap metal, I would love someone to take it away so i wouldn’t have to. Its been all piled up for months and not a sniff, although all our neighbours have had break-ins and someone has walked through the allotment on several occasions so I obviously don’t have anything of value.

I appreciate the fence has been put up but its sounds like it hasn’t really helped.

What with the doubling of rents is anything actually planned to improve security or are we supposed to just put up with it. Its not a surprise there are so many unkept/ abandoned plots if security is such as issue.

Just handed back my allotment at Meersbrook (316 I think) When i got it 4/5 years ago it was 7 foot deep in brambles. Found a plumb and apple tree in the middle!. Never had any break-ins (never had anything to steal) but I know next door did. Really sad to see it go but moving house and second child on the way!

If someone gets it please PM me, so i know they have sorted it quickly and i can let you know what there is.

Thanks

well the fence did help to some extent I think - certainly there seems to be less arson (unless that's a summer sport), but thefts seem as rife as ever, and when a couple of mates have chased men in their 20s off the bottom of the site apparently the structure of the gates / fence make it super easy to climb / vault :/

A friend had her greenhouse stolen last month (near to Rose Cottage). She'd just paid £60 for it and moved it to the plot ready to put up. They smashed her door in to get it. I'm sure £60 is a lot more than they will get for scrap - aluminium is so light, even with the price of metal currently.

Gunner I think some stuff is stolen by other plot holders - someone on here had some fruit trees stolen for instance, but the metal etc I think is being taken by opportunists for a few quid.

People also insist on leaving the gates open, despite us all having to purchase new security keys at around £10 each for a special locking padlock and Carfield farm also insist on the gates being open for a few hours over the w/e so that anyone wishing to visit them can get in. Kinda defeats the object really ...

I have recently cleared my allotment and have found no end of scrap metal, I would love someone to take it away so i wouldn’t have to.

if you can move it, I would recommend neatly piling in one of the car parks - there are a couple of scrap people with plots who will happily take it away

I cant see how anything can be done to improve security if a perimeter fence 10ft or so high wont stop them. Our site cant have anything like that as there is a couple of public footpaths running through it. Iv had a couple of attempted break ins but *touch wood* they havent got in and not done much damage. I do have a hawthorn hedge surrounding my plot which isnt fully grown in places so I cant wait for that to get a bit thicker and deter people a bit more.

Not sure if my allotment is Meersbrook but I access it via the little road off Argyle.Had a shed break over the autumn as had only just taken the plot over. My loppers and small tools went walkies. Still reported it to 101.

Anyway what I was going to ask, even though I have cleared most of site, have noticed the fence at the bottom backs onto a public footpath no proper security fencing? The hedge down one side is impossible to cut as too high and there are a few very large tree's that could do with lopping.

Who do I approach to get help with this?