Anyone got any frog spawn yet?

Are you sure the tadpoles have actually disappeared ?

When mine hatched they hid away immediately and were very hard to spot, despite there being hundreds of them.

I don't think they were big enough to hatch, you see them moving in the jelly first,

& surely I'd see some tadpoles swimming round if they had.

:-(

Granma.

Have you got fish or newts, both eat tadpoles and strangely so do frogs. If you have cleaned out your pond before the frogs spawned they may have found there was no food for them and then eaten the spawn.

No fis,h & no newts that I know of.

Never thought of frogs eating their own!!!!

Granma.

Have seen 'overwintered' taddies before but I would have thought that the ice would have killed the spawn.

Never seen a toad in our pond.

I'm not sure whether it is a tragedy or a blessing. Virtually every one of the tadpoles has disappeared from my pond. It is only now that the sun is shinning that I have found the culprit. The pond is full of great crested newts with a few smooth newts thrown in for good measure. They can be seen swimming around with tadpoles in their jaws.

So it is pretty clear that from the huge mass of frogspawn virtually no frogs will emerge from the pond, however I'm expecting a bumper crop of newts.

I'm not sure whether it is a tragedy or a blessing. Virtually every one of the tadpoles has disappeared from my pond. It is only now that the sun is shinning that I have found the culprit. The pond is full of great crested newts with a few smooth newts thrown in for good measure. They can be seen swimming around with tadpoles in their jaws.

So it is pretty clear that from the huge mass of frogspawn virtually no frogs will emerge from the pond, however I'm expecting a bumper crop of newts.

Are you sure you didn't have newt spawn and newt tadpoles (if thats their name)? as they look identical at that age.

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 10:30 ----------

Have seen 'overwintered' taddies before but I would have thought that the ice would have killed the spawn.

Never seen a toad in our pond.

Frogspawn has antifreeze properties and can survive for a short period in these conditions.

Are you sure you didn't have newt spawn and newt tadpoles (if thats their name)? as they look identical at that age.

Frogspawn has antifreeze properties and can survive for a short period in these conditions.

Newt spawn looks nothing like frogspawn or toad spawn. Newts lay individual eggs under leaves on pond weed and it does not hatch out till late May or early June.

Ah, that would explain why I have seen my nextdoor neighbour pouring frogspawn over his windscreen on cold mornings.

---------- Post added 02-06-2013 at 15:14 ----------

Lucky you, love newts but never been able to get them to breed.

No frogspawn yet in S6 - usually the pond is heaving by now. Anybody else notice this?

There is plenty in Botanical Gardens and in my allotment pool:hihi:

I've had some in my small pond for over a week now. And far more than last year.

Ours was heaving at the end of February ! I think it'll be a great year for them given the mild winter we've had.

i'm in S11 usually have a pond full by early march , to date very little