Anyone got any frog spawn yet?

Much too early, blue bells come out in May usually but they may be later this year.

Bluebell flowering season starts normally in April and runs to May but they do come out earlier if its a particularly warm. We have seen them in March before down at ecclesall woods.

I thought that with the recent cold weather and it now going warm, they might spring into life (excuse the pun) :)

Wow! incredible that it survived the deep-freeze.

We didn't have any last year, yet after such a harsh winter there appears to the most frogs for years.

Yes it was quite incredible. After the first lot of snow I broke the ice and fished out a bucket load. I stuck it in the greenhouse as a back up. I assumed the rest was toast.

Last week I tipped it back in the pond and it has hatched OK. The remaining frogspawn is now hatching, and another load has appeared.

The toads got in on the act yesterday.

Yes it was quite incredible. After the first lot of snow I broke the ice and fished out a bucket load. I stuck it in the greenhouse as a back up. I assumed the rest was toast.

Last week I tipped it back in the pond and it has hatched OK. The remaining frogspawn is now hatching, and another load has appeared.

The toads got in on the act yesterday.

Have seen 'overwintered' taddies before but I would have thought that the ice would have killed the spawn.

Never seen a toad in our pond.

My frogspawn has disappeared!

It was on the surfac & the black dots were getting slowly bigger, then on Thursday it had gone.

Does any animal or bird eat frogspawn?

Granma.

My frogspawn has disappeared!

It was on the surfac & the black dots were getting slowly bigger, then on Thursday it had gone.

Does any animal or bird eat frogspawn?

Granma.

Are you sure the tadpoles have actually disappeared ?

When mine hatched they hid away immediately and were very hard to spot, despite there being hundreds of them.

Are you sure the tadpoles have actually disappeared ?

When mine hatched they hid away immediately and were very hard to spot, despite there being hundreds of them.

I suspect you are right megalith.....mine have hatched this week...

you could try looking at the sides granma-they sometimes hang around the edges sucking the sides of the pond-or scoop a bit of water out in a jar to see what's there (to put back of course)

mine havnt hatched out yet and are still in the jelly. but are still disappearing. i think the fish are eating it . do fish eat frog spawn. is this where its going or is there something else eating it.

mine havnt hatched out yet and are still in the jelly. but are still disappearing. i think the fish are eating it . do fish eat frog spawn. is this where its going or is there something else eating it.

You shouldn't have fish in with them, they will get eaten.

i cant stop the frogs going in the pond

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 22:55 ----------

will have to try and move the frog spawn into another container

i cant stop the frogs going in the pond

To be fair my pond was dug as a wildlife pond and it's never had fish in it so it's never been a problem for me. You could always get rid of the fish. :D

or just sink a container into the ground......a trug would do with some plants, escape routes and rain water, I feed my taddies because its a tiny pond

poor things being fish food