Anyone got any frog spawn yet?

Only spotted one frog in the pond so far, there's normally many more by now and a good few lumps of spawn too. :( How about others?

I have seen probably 4 or 5 at most in mine and a couple of clumps of spawn, my mum has loads of frogs and spawn though, I counted 12 on the surface in hers the other day within a few minutes.

I was in the peak district at Water-cum-jolly dale on Thursday. There was a lot of piggy backing toads on the path by the water and quite a few squashed ones on the road. You had to be careful where you put your feet. Brought back memories as a kid spending time down at rivelin, looking for tadpoles and sticklebacks.

Hi,

We find they generally couple up towards the end of February, do the biz and then go back and hibernate for a few weeks

This year they were later, about 12 couples, and have left a bit less spawn than usual

We counted at least 25 frogs the other day, most of them at the hugging stage, got loads of frog spawn :)

A stray frog ate all my tadpoles last year, so this year I am going to put chicken wire over my pond later.

A stray frog ate all my tadpoles last year, so this year I am going to put chicken wire over my pond later.

Is that to stop chickens eating the frogs that ate your frog spawn?:huh:

I counted 9 frogs and 3 clumps of frog spawn on Thursday.

Is there anything special you have to do to get froglets to your pond? Iv never had any and my cats are indoor cats so its not them eatin them :(

Ta for replies, was feeling a bit left out so I have poured a couple of tins of tapioca into the pond. Fingers crossed!

Is there anything special you have to do to get froglets to your pond? Iv never had any and my cats are indoor cats so its not them eatin them :(

I have only had my pond a couple of years and have done nothing special other than put plants in and have an area where they can climb in and out easily.

I feel I should point out:

Sadly, moving frogspawn around often serves only to heighten the risk of moving around invasive plants and diseases that have potential to do real harm to frogs and other pond-inhabitants.’

If you want to do the best for wildlife, our advice is to leave frogspawn where it is and let nature do the rest.’

even though no-one has mentioned moving spawn yet, readers may be considering it.