Advice please bailiffs at the door over council tax

I don't know what to suggest love.These bullies[ Bailiffs] make you sick they are usually just working class strong int arm thick int head types who have turned on their own poor people ripping them of with their own fees.

On a recent T,V. program a team described themselves as doormen, I know that they were indeed bailiffs but were ashamed to admit it

Perhaps you can get the local media involved

Edited by cuttsie
there and their

So long as your partner has proof that he ownes the car i.e a bill of sale the baliff cannot take the car or levy on it, also if you google beat the baliff there is a website where you can for a small fee sign over your goods to a 3rd party so you are in theory leasing them back and then the baliff cannot take any items listed on the form.

Also as all the forum member have said do not let them in at all not even to use the toilet etc...

Look for the website as per mentioned above it costs about £20ish to set it up and £9.00 a month but at least your goods will be safe.

Also if you have anything in your house thats you are paying monthly for i.e TV,Suite etc... i.e on HP then they cannot touch them anyway.

Hope you get it sorted..

NEED ADVICE ASAP.had a letter from the baliffs on saturday about my unpaid council tax bill, was paying up untill dec got into finacial difficultys which as resulted in it being passed to baliffs.phoned baliff got anwser machine,left a message to say who i was and wanted to make an offer to pay in installments.

they never got back to me,kept phoning anwser phone was full so could not even leave another msg.balliff turned up this morning posted a letter through the door with a notice of siezure and inventry of goods for my partners car. with a fee on top for 475.35.

this is my debt, enforcement is in my name so i know they cant do this but will they anyway.log book proves it belongs to my partner and he is not responsible for the debt. had to send baliff a text msg as they wont take my calls and anwser phone is full.feel utterly powerless.have stated in my text that i will not be allowing entry to levy goods and would like to make a payment plan.phoned council who were useless and refused to take the debt back from baliffs even tho i said i;ll pay 25 pounds.

on a very low income and need to be able to pay new tax bill.phoned debtline who advised me not to let them in and are sending out some leaflets to help me do a budget planner,but the baliffs are coming back tommorow and my partner uses his car for work as he,s self employed. help please at my wits end:help:

Hi sent you a PM

They cannot take the car as the debt is in your name. Plus it is used in employment. They cannot take anything connected to work, ie tools, computer needed for work.

Do not open the door to them, Lock all the doors as they can try the handle and if it's unlocked they can gain peaceful entry this way. Once they have gained peaceful entry they can gain access again.

Sent you a PM with contact details to get intouch with someone at council and baliffs to inform them of your change in circumstances.

You should then get help from the Debt Support Unit at Citizens Advice who will deal with this on your behalf.

The main thing is to not let them in the house at all until you can seek help from CAB/DSU

Do you own your own house or is it rented?

I don't know what your total debts are but have you thought about going bankrupt?

It's worth thinking about it.

If you own your own house though don't even consider it!

If you do go down the bankruptcy route you won't be able to get credit for a few years, but you also won't be getting things you can't afford.

I hope you sort things, and good luck!

I agree with a previous poster.You need to contact a Citizens Advice Bureau who will advise on your rights and other debt matters.

Good luck !!

Has this has been to court an arrangement has already been made but broke due to hardship?

If so contact your court that was dealing with it and file a N245 form, also show this to the baliffs through the window if/when they come.

It will be an application to vary the original order, supply as much information as possible (i cant remember if you have to pay or not i think it depends on the court) send it recorded delivery and wait until you hear from the judge, once this is sorted the baliffs will have to leave you alone.

What you need to come clean about is are you honest with the rules and regulations most of us try to adhere to?............does the council know for instance that there is a another person living with you who has his own business?

Has this has been to court an arrangement has already been made but broke due to hardship?

If so contact your court that was dealing with it and file a N245 form, also show this to the baliffs through the window if/when they come.

It will be an application to vary the original order, supply as much information as possible (i cant remember if you have to pay or not i think it depends on the court) send it recorded delivery and wait until you hear from the judge, once this is sorted the baliffs will have to leave you alone.

it went to court and fees were applied,but i,d already paid the court fee and started paying my ct+arrears before it actually went to court,its crazy:loopy:.you just cant stop procedings once a summons is issued.so a liability order was made but no arrangements in court were made as i was already paying it and didn,t have to attend the hearing.but we did fall into financial difficultys around nov so were talking 4 months and they send in the baliffs.

What you need to come clean about is are you honest with the rules and regulations most of us try to adhere to?............does the council know for instance that there is a another person living with you who has his own business?
yes i,ve been honest if i lived alone i would get single person discount,and it isn,t a buisness he is a tiler who trys to earn a living ,he,s lucky if he gets one job a month tbh our joint earnings are around 11.000 a year and we cant get council tax benifit because we get working tax credits.his car is a work vehicle he needs it for work he can hardly get on the bus with all his tools and i believe they cant take anything you need to earn a living.

UPDATE: they have,nt returned today to take the car whats going on? now i,m going to be a nervous wreck until i can sort this out at citizens advice bureau :(. can council send baliffs if you have a family member with disabilltys my oh daughter my stepdaughter has physical and mental learning disabilitys and stays with us 3 days a week.

I have had the exact same thing with the council tax yes it was my fault but same again i could not afford to pay it .It went to Marsdons group and they were not nice people , I offered to pay it off in two months with wages and she the bailiff said no to this on the fone and told me she would be coming for my things , I phoned the council up to ask them to take the debt back but like with you they said no so i went to cab on prince of wales road and saw the debt councilor she contacted the council and requested they take the debt back which they did so the bailiffs were then no longer involved , up until this happening she told me same again not to let them in etc and that they would try all kinds of underhanded ways to get in , even pretending to choke on the door step..they were not getting into my house under any circumstances whats so ever , cab wrote to the bailiff whilst it went through with the council to take it back offering them £1 a month which she knew would get rejected but because they knew that a legal person was then involved i never heard from them again the debt went back to the council and it is now getting paid of direct debit , it is a very scary situation to be in , if they do come back just tell them through the letter box you have an appointment with the cab to apply for the debt to be reversed back to the council and that u will not have any dealings with them whats so ever whilst u r dealing with it and any correspondence will be done though your debt advisor xxx hope this helps xx

and it isn,t a buisness he is a tiler .

Err... if he is self employed that yes it is a business.