Advice please bailiffs at the door over council tax

The council pass the dept on to some muppets from Northampton they are not proper bailiffs just money chases,they can not take anything from your house at all ,they are nasty little scumballs who just try and frighten you into paying up so they can make a quick few quid for them self, the only time they can take any thing from your home is if you have been to court and there is a court agreement that you have not kept to and they have to be court appointed bailiffs to do that as well, do not let them in you house at all ignore them do not agree any thing with them at all,go to the council and talk to them they are usually OK,you see £400 or so is a figure that is easy to chase as they know that most people can pull 2 or 3 hundred quid up if they have to, they try all sorts of tactics to scare you into paying up,they don't take cars very often its to much fuss and they can never be sure whose car it is like it says on a log book the name of the keeper not the owner.

Really hope you manage to sort this out soon. I have also been in debt myself in the past, it is hard to make ends meet on a low budget. I was lucky and managed to turn things around.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

it isnt my car its my oh in his name he drives it for his self employed job as a tiler,do you think taking his livelyhood is going to help us !!!! why dont you do something usefull instead of trolling my old threads!
expect nothin less from that pathetic poster:roll:

I'd suggest getting in touch with some people who know what they're on about instead of the good/bad/indifferent advice on forums. For free & independent debt advice contact

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/

or the Community Legal Advice line who do debt amongst other areas of law

0845 345 4 345

I'd suggest getting in touch with some people who know what they're on about instead of the good/bad/indifferent advice on forums. For free & independent debt advice contact

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/

or the Community Legal Advice line who do debt amongst other areas of law

0845 345 4 345

Please get in touch with professionals who can help as Jake suggests.

Another excellent free service is available from http://www.cccs.co.uk/Contact.aspx

Give these a call asap.

I wish you all the best.

As you only pay for 10 months of the year how could you have ran up a 500 quid bill if you had paid up until December? Has this been to court and you have been ignoring it? If so, pay it, if not, get onto the council and arrange a payment scheme.
Why are you and all your friends on here so awful.in actual fact i have almost always paid my council tax,it has esculated to this because the council take fees and fees and fees,when you have explained you are in financial hardship temporarilly they dont giv a monkeys arse.they take you to court and charge you fines and cost even before the actual date of the hearing and you have attempted to make arrangements to pay.this is not good enough if you cant pay in whole.they want their charges.up until dec i paid a £130 a month so dont lecture me!! this all dates back to 2009 when i was suddenly out of work for 5 months and they refused to backdate council tax benifit,so in actual fact i was expected to pay full amount when i clearly was entitled to council tax benifit they refused. so i have been playing catchup ever since. by the way i work always have even tho i have a small child i work! before you lecture me on having 1 child.

At this point, the best advice is to let them take your goods in lieu of payment. It's already far too late for you to claim any sort of defence.

Yeh right are you a baliff by any chance:suspect:

If they come for the car again, show them the insurance papers ( if it has business cover ) they cant take a car that is used for work.

I have a relative who had a "visit" from bailiffs who just appeared in her kitchen as her door was unlocked, they didnt have any id or paperwork so she called the police ( she was terrified ) as her kids were in the house.

They were taking her car but the police confirmed business insurance on it so they couldnt take it.

She was told they can walk in uninvited if the door or window is open so make sure you keep these locked/shut even when you are in.

thanks for advice:),i know this so i have had all doors and windows locked since they called on fri morning,dirty scheming firm they are,dont let you negociate then expect to remove your goods.i dont know if its got buisness insurance:confused:.but my oh has always told insurers his employment is self employed tiler so i dont know if this comes under buisness.what i do know is by law they cant take any essential items like cooker washer,or anything that you use to make a living as part of your livelyhood ie,car,laptop.i hope your sis is ok:).i,m likely to go into lioness mode if they disturb my little 3/4 nxt wk boy and upset him.;)

Tiredmummy

Can't offer any constructive help I'm afraid but I hope you get something sorted out. Must be a worry with kiddies.

Don't take any notice of the trolls - let's hope they never find themselves in the same situation.

Duckegg

thanks and Karma takes too, long, I,d love to kick the s... out of them now:hihi::hihi:;)

Really hope you manage to sort this out soon. I have also been in debt myself in the past, it is hard to make ends meet on a low budget. I was lucky and managed to turn things around.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

tHANKYOU its nice to see that there are some decent sf members.and i,m so glad you turned it around and are ok:D

Thankyou to everyone that has been kind and given me advice,even if some of it was useless ;)). i apreciate it all the same.I dont feel so alone, even tho i dont know you so thankyou so so much xx

I would also contact your local Councillor to ask for their help or advice, l know they are not fantastic but it's worth a try. there has been some good advice posted on here. I'm sure it is making you ill with worry. Try to keep calm and level headed and get help from either the CAB or debt advice. People who try to do the right thing and pay debts etc usually get more grief than those that don't answer the door, letters or phone calls.

This is for 2 seperate bills one for 270 from 2009 and the other is for 800 i paid over 600 the original ctb was for 1400 and i,ve got so many letters i cannot work out why its so high? they took me to court in june 2011 and i paid untill december. i have,nt got 1270 to pay i,m in serious debt on a very low income.i have asked the council to take the debt back and i,ll pay the arrears off in installments,but they have refused.said you need to speak to the baliffs even after i told them they dont anwser the phone or give me an oppurtunity to make a payment plan.so what can i do???