Advice please bailiffs at the door over council tax

hope you get it sorted soon i do feel for you everyones struggling

Sheffield Council use Equita Baliffs Ltd for collection of council tax once a liability order has been issued for non-payment through the court.

Who are Equita Ltd ? Equita is owned by Capita PLC, Capita run the Council Tax Department for Sheffield City Council !

Citizens Advice are well aware of Eqiuita and the underhand and threatening tactics they are using.

A relative of mine has had the same problems, had a payment book for arranged installments which she kept paying, Bailliffs are refusing to acknowledge the payments and say they have no record of them, even though she has the receipts. She has been very upset by all this and the nastiness of the bloke she spoke to at the bailiffs.

CAB did get involved for her but couldn't get anywhere with the bailiffs either but she hasn't had a visit yet thankfully.

Sheffield City Council seriously need to think about this Company they are using as they seem totally unproffesional and nasty.

Hi ive got them after me for my council tax too. Have you got a friend who would let your partner park his car on their drive?? The bailiffs cannot take the car from soneone else's property, this would be classed as trespassing.

As a rule, bailiffs only try 2-3 times to enter your property, after that they will pass the debt back to the Council. They will probably then give you one last chance to pay before taking you back to Court. They have been to mine twice so far, they threaten to come back in 24 hours and don't. At the end of the day bailiffs try to scare you as they know they have limited powers to do anything.

Re bailiffs, as someone else rightly said, they cannot take your stuff unless you let them in. They can enter through an open door or an open window though so be careful.

Hope this helps. They do not scare me at all, I've messaged the Council through their website saying I will deal with them but will not be bullied by bailiffs. I've got an attachment of earnings order so I'm not sure why they are using bailiffs anyway!!!

Lou x

Thankyou for the address,s and who to send to ,hopefully i,ll get somewhere with the help of cab because i wouldn,t have been able to sort this out alone,so thankyou:)

do you rent your property...and is the debt yours.....well if you feel cornered...declare yourself bankrupt....and make a fresh start.....the council have millions owing to them...so another grand won't hurt....

this should not effect your other half...and it will make the kids happy...

do you rent your property...and is the debt yours.....well if you feel cornered...declare yourself bankrupt....and make a fresh start.....the council have millions owing to them...so another grand won't hurt....

this should not effect your other half...and it will make the kids happy...

Or even a Debt Relief Order (DRO) if debts are below £15K and you have less than £50 a month left as disposable income. CCCS are very good at advising on the debt side of things and are free of charge.

Or even a Debt Relief Order (DRO) if debts are below £15K and you have less than £50 a month left as disposable income. CCCS are very good at advising on the debt side of things and are free of charge.

nice one...see there is a solution to every problem...play the system it works everytime...

We had same problem, but phoned council and they made arrangements with us to pay rest of debt in installments, they were very helpful,,,,even though bailiffs had been involved !!!!

Council tax arrears only go to baliffs as a last resort, the customer usually has had a number of arrangments set which they have broken by not paying the arranged amount. These have usually gone on for months on end. The customer states that she has had a bill outstanding from 2009, thats three years of none payment!

If the customer was in such dire straits then she would be entitled for council tax benefit

Everybody else has to pay on time so why shouldn't she?

what kind of car is it and how old i'll buy it and anything else you want to sell cheap

We had same problem, but phoned council and they made arrangements with us to pay rest of debt in installments, they were very helpful,,,,even though bailiffs had been involved !!!!

I got behind on my Council Tax payments recently. In the past (2005) they allowed me to make small payments towards my arrears over a number of years. But now the arrears must be paid within the same tax year, which I really struggled with. I have sorted it all now, and set up a direct debit for the 2012/13 bill which is £62 a month (with single person's discount).

Of course he,s registered with the tax office.

He has always had his taxes paid by the contracter he,s worked for as he sub contracts and then at the end of the year his accountant sorted his green slips out,he doesn,t have an accountant anymore because he cant afford the £120 fee and we had to do his last tax return ourselves.

And as he had,nt earnt over the tax threashold he got a tax rebate.like a lot of ppl in this country everything went downhill in the recession the jobs just are,nt there anymore.and being self employed isnt nescesarily a buisness,wiki it. this is getting off the reason i started the thread. :roll:

Don,t let em pull you love, pride always comes before a fall and some people have a long long way to fall.