Im looking for people to sign my petition for Shopmobility

I do volluntary work for Shopmobility in sheffield and they may have to shut due to big cuts which would be a massive loss to those who use our service. We hire out wheelchairs and mobility scooters and basically we are petitioning the council so they dont cut the service.More info is in the link thank you. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/urgent-support.html

How much does Mark get paid?

I dont know but I know he would rather go short as it was his dad what set Shopmobility up. So he would rather not get payed and keep shopmobility going that way than get paid and shopmobility fall apart. Its not just a job to him its his life and puts his users before himself thats for sure.

Don't get me wrong.

I think Shopmobility should keep going and is worthy of all the hard work that goes into it, a lot of it voluntary.

However, it is reasonable to ask questions.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think PT on here is a Trustee?

I believe that Mark is the only paid staff.

The accounts show staff costs of £27,000 plus ... which is most of the Council grant.

Maybe this is the gross cost of employing someone on £15,000. But I don't know.

Hence my question.

Don't get me wrong.

I think Shopmobility should keep going and is worthy of all the hard work that goes into it, a lot of it voluntary.

However, it is reasonable to ask questions.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think PT on here is a Trustee?

I believe that Mark is the only paid staff.

The accounts show staff costs of £27,000 plus ... which is most of the Council grant.

Maybe this is the gross cost of employing someone on £15,000. But I don't know.

Hence my question.

It says £23,424 on the report I'm looking at. Council grant was £20,450.

edit, mine's out of date

Edited by *_ash_*
just noticed I'm lookng at the latest account that are for last years....

Looking at the accounts, there is scope for keeping this going. There are a few things that could be economised. Do you/they allow any advertising at all?

There is absolutely nothing, really that can be cut back on, Ash. Expenditure has all been cut to the bone.

The Charity has had to shed its only other paid worker, as the money to cover their post was lost.

The Charity is receiving 20% or so less money, currently, to provide the service at two loan points, instead of the single loan point, previously, to an almost tenfold increase on service users (from 500 to 6,500 currently).

Yes there are advertisements on some of the chairs and scootas.

Mark is an absolute gem, and is not being paid anything like what he is worth, and nothing like what he deserves for the sheer sweat and effort he has put in since he took over as Manager.

Thanks for answering the quiestions as Im just a volunteer so dont know much about the finances. As for sponsorship deals we dont have money to do it because I have put this to mark. For example having our name on a Taxi or that sort of thing. Also in football programmes. Mark really is scrapeing the bottom of the barrel at the minuite and like PT says he is worth the pay of some other charity managers what get £50k.

Edited by jibbs1977

The Charity has had to shed its only other paid worker, as the money to cover their post was lost.

Yeah :( Well, I'm just looking at the current figures/matter now... things are tight aren't they?!

The Charity is receiving 20% or so less money, currently, to provide the service at two loan points, instead of the single loan point, previously, to an almost tenfold increase on service users (from 500 to 6,500 currently).

I can see the massive shortfall that the Council grant leaves. The figures are similar to other charities that I've looked at since the cuts. Obviously (as cgk pointed out) the main cost is the one paid staff. There are plenty of generous donors too especially the £10k one, I've never heard of them.

-

There are plenty of trustees and I'm sure with plenty more brain power than mine, so I'm perhaps clutching at straws, I'm sure everything that could be done has been. But I can at least try and suggest some things.

Yes there are advertisements on some of the chairs and scootas.

I only asked this, as a big cost in there is the information technology. I wondered whether perhaps approaching Sheffield based plusnet might be an option... in exchange for a little advertising.

There is absolutely nothing, really that can be cut back on, Ash. Expenditure has all been cut to the bone.

Ah well. jibbs is a good bloke, I thought I'd try and offer some thoughts. I'm not a big fan of having adverts everywhere, but if a few thousand could be found/generated, then it could be worthwhile.

Can you tell me (or do you know) what volunteer training and expenses breaks down into PT?

Edited by *_ash_*