Anti-Gays preacher banned in Herts. but welcome in Sheffield?

Given the topic , would your gardening services offered be of the uphill variety?

Well spotted. Objecting to stigmatisation and persecution of homosexuals definately mean I must be one. It's not like a hetrosexual would support equal rights for gays is it?

Oh wait, just checked the calender, it's 2012, not 1912.

Ahh, OK. That's the Hallam Union Soc - Bloomdio was saying Uni, and the links he posted earlier were to Uni societies. No wonder I couldn't find it advertised on their websites!

I should also say: in my time at Sheffield Uni, I always found the Islamic Circle absolutely exemplary of how a faith society should be run. I'm quite glad its not them who booked the silly man.

My mistake. Sorry. I am still finding my way around.

Edited by Bloomdido

whether you are gay or not, turn up with a friend of the same sex, sit on the front row and hold hands.

Just so you know, women would not be able to do this at the event if Hallam's Isoc stick to their previous practice of asking sisters to sit at the back of the room. On the facebook event page it is mentioned that the event will be gender segregated.

His bigotry and worrying views aren't confined to homosexuality. Here's the Saudi Sheikh on the issues:

On Muslims who convert to another religion:

"The penalty of apostasy is death"

On rape in marriage:

“It is not permissible for a wife to refuse fulfilling her husband’s desire. You should answer his calls as this is not physically hurting you. If you can’t do that for no legitimate reason you are sinful”

On female genital mutilation:

“As for female circumcision, [...] it is recommended”

On the role of women in society:

“Staying at home is one of the best things that a woman can do”

On homosexuality:

“Homosexuality is not natural. If people were allowed to do so, illnesses would spread among them (aids) and they will not reproduce. It takes all the bashfulness and good character of people and turns them into animals that seek only their sexual satisfaction through weird ways.”

On the punishment for homosexuality:

"If you refer to the Old Testament you will find that homosexuality is forbidden and the punishment for that is stoning to death. In Islam, the same thing applies."

"It's an abnormality that must be treated. It must not be accepted as a normal thing."

This is the last person who should be giving a talk on the role of women, his support for female genital mutilation is utterly reprehensible given that it is actually a real problem in this city.

Bizarrely, the Hallam University student government have yet to echo the concerns that students have about this man. Very confusing.

Just so you know, women would not be able to do this at the event if Hallam's Isoc stick to their previous practice of asking sisters to sit at the back of the room. On the facebook event page it is mentioned that the event will be gender segregated.

They ask the 'Sisters' to sit at the back? Can non Brothers and Sisters attend these events?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

At their events they ask non-Muslims to go along with the gender segregation. If the non-believers insist on not putting up with it they let non-Muslim men and women sit together separate from the two gender segregated groups of the faithful.

At their events they ask non-Muslims to go along with the gender segregation. If the non-believers insist on not putting up with it they let non-Muslim men and women sit together separate from the two gender segregated groups of the faithful.

What if someone is transgender? Wouldn't that be interesting.

It seems this person supports female genital mutilation as well as the killing of Gay people.

Bizarrely, the Hallam University student government have yet to echo the concerns that students have about this man. Very confusing.

In response to the above comment, I would like to say::::

I am the chair of the Social Work Society at SHU and I am currently supporting the LGBT society to try and get this meeting overturned. It is oppressive and I don't believe that SHU should be giving a forum to this preacher of hate. I am not condemniing Islam per se, just the oppressive nature of the talk.

Kill'em all according wiki:o Must be wrong though surely, even the Muslim religion can't be this backwards?

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Islam_and_Homosexuality

Depends on the interpretation of the religion and the mental stability of the individual interpreting.

By definition all religions are backward.

In response to the above comment, I would like to say::::

I am the chair of the Social Work Society at SHU and I am currently supporting the LGBT society to try and get this meeting overturned. It is oppressive and I don't believe that SHU should be giving a forum to this preacher of hate. I am not condemniing Islam per se, just the oppressive nature of the talk.

That's a bit intolerant IMO.

Banning people never helps. Better to have him talk on condition he participates in a Q&A beforehand.

I attended Alcoholics Annonymous, and I don't even drink.

I attended Bramall Lane!