Alcohol and health

I like a drink from time to time I don't think I have a problem but every time I have a drink I have this feeling that I am damaging my body in some way,is there a less harmfull type of drink or is all alcohol just no good for you at all,you hear these story's about red wine being good for you and vodka being bad for you,I know one thing if I have one drink over what I usually drink I feel really ill the next day, I try and have a few days were I don't have a drink in the week,mind you I don't think I could afford to drink every day what with the price of it now,Iv'e never been a big drinker 2 or 3 pints on a night is my max as a rule.

I drink 30 to 40 pints a week.

As long as it harms no-one else then fine.

As far as I'm concerned, it's probably what is getting me through life at present.

Red wine being good for your heart is utter claptrap that is pedalled by people who sell wine. There have been several proper scientists on radio 4 that have said that there is no evidence at all that red wine is better for your heart than half an asprin, but an asprin does not slightly increase your chances of getting cancer like wine does.

The downsides of drinking wine are worse than any benefit. But these percentages are all small, so it would rely on a person drinking wine for years.

The fact is that most white europeans whose ancesters grew up in towns and cities are likely to have survived due to alcohol being available to give them a drink which did not give them cholera or plague.

This means that most of us have genes which are favourable or tolerent to alcohol. Therefore drinking will probably do you no harm as long as it is done in moderation, and the drinker understands the quantities that are likely to be damaging and also keeps to having several booze free days per week, to allow their bodies to repair and recover.

Drinking is ok, but I wouldn't, nevermind couldn't, drink every day. I usually go out about once a month and have a about 3 pints, very rarely I drink more. I have the odd bottle of beer in the house, perhaps 1 a fortnight and I have a decanter of whisky of which I sample a shot about twice a year.

Strange thing is I just can not take it, when I was a lad all my mates would laugh at me as I was just not a drinker at all, I would struggle to drink 2 pints and I was as sick as a dog if I had to much to drink, it would take me days to get over it,you would think with the size of me I would be drinker Im 6foot 5 and about 18 stone I like the taste of a good beer or cider but it just does not like me at all my Dad was the same as me he was a light weight when it came to drinking he would say being a boozer is nowt to be proud of lad,my wife can drink more than me.

I like a few glasses of red wine, but have cut my alcohol consumption down by half due to high BP, i was told by my nurse far from being good for you red wine stop's the absorption of iron into your body....:(

If you feel ill from it, don't drink!

It's not important to do so!

Strange thing is I just can not take it, when I was a lad all my mates would laugh at me as I was just not a drinker at all, I would struggle to drink 2 pints and I was as sick as a dog if I had to much to drink, it would take me days to get over it,you would think with the size of me I would be drinker Im 6foot 5 and about 18 stone I like the taste of a good beer or cider but it just does not like me at all my Dad was the same as me he was a light weight when it came to drinking he would say being a boozer is nowt to be proud of lad,my wife can drink more than me.

If you consider my earlier post about white northern europeans. It seems that you, and your father are intolerant to alcohol, just as something like 50% of the ancient human population were.

What's happened here by the sounds of it is that you are rare survivors, whose ancestors survived without alcohol. Many people like yourself in the middle ages and industrial revolution perished.

What is interesting about this is (assuming you are white northern european) is that this massive selection of people who were tolerant to alcohol, resulted in an extreme thinning of our gene pool.

If you consider my earlier post about white northern europeans. It seems that you, and your father are intolerant to alcohol, just as something like 50% of the ancient human population were.

What's happened here by the sounds of it is that you are rare survivors, whose ancestors survived without alcohol. Many people like yourself in the middle ages and industrial revolution perished.

What is interesting about this is (assuming you are white northern european) is that this massive selection of people who were tolerant to alcohol, resulted in an extreme thinning of our gene pool.

I can take alcohol but just not a lot, yes white European with Scottish Mum.

I like a drink from time to time I don't think I have a problem but every time I have a drink I have this feeling that I am damaging my body in some way,is there a less harmfull type of drink or is all alcohol just no good for you at all,you hear these story's about red wine being good for you and vodka being bad for you,I know one thing if I have one drink over what I usually drink I feel really ill the next day, I try and have a few days were I don't have a drink in the week,mind you I don't think I could afford to drink every day what with the price of it now,Iv'e never been a big drinker 2 or 3 pints on a night is my max as a rule.

You have nothing to worry about. Just enjoy it.

Alcohol helps me relax (it's a depressant). That's got to count for something. Stress is a major cause of health problems.

If you're stressed, and a drink relaxes you and as a result lowers your blood pressure, moderate alcohol use can surely be considered a form of medication.

I don't like alcohol, I think it's a bad idea. I find myself drinking it sometimes regularly and sometimes going long periods without. I'm very tolerant to it, this means when I want to get drunk I drink a helluva lot of booze, if this happens, I spend the whole of the next day as though I've had my nervous system removed. Apart from in my legs, where I ache terribly all that day after.