How do you make friends in a place where you have zero connections?

I've been between Manchester (living with friends) and Sheffield (living with parents) for the past 4-5 years. I work at home and so haven't met many people face to face to allow friendships to blossom.

Any ideas, because last time I was in Sheffield for 3 or 4 years the loneliness turned me into a socialphobe. Wasn't even myself round friends when I moved back to Manchester.

Now I'm back and I am determined to not fall into the same habit.

I have tons of interests but I'm shy. I'm not into throwing myself in the middle of a circle of people who all know each other. I just wanna meet some normal people who like to do stuff like go out camping in the summer, rock climbing, exploring, learning new things, driven...

My friends in Manchester, though they are lifelong friends, do nothing but sit around smoking weed. I haven't experienced a 'normal' circle of people in 24 years and it is driving me nuts.

Only recently unpacked my stuff so sorry if I'm late to reply to any answers. Appreciate any ideas.

There is the sports section on here to meet with people to do the healthy stuff...

If you find the answer can you let me know? Been in Sheffield with my partner 4 years now and don't know anyone here other than people at work. Lame!

before i came to sheff i lived in a tiny village. when i moved to that village i knew no one.

i went into the local pub most evenings and sat at the bar with a paper and a few pints.

after a week or so the locals just started to talk to me. simple as that. they all wondered who the quiet new guy was.

i let them make the move.

I've found the best way to make friends is through forums where you share a common interest. Urbex, mine exploration, wild swimming, cars - on all of them I've met up with local like minded people and made some fantastic friendships for life.

If you're Manchester based, sign up on http://www.nwex.co.uk and you'll soon meet likeminded people who enjoy exploring, climbing, wild camping and the like.

And what Oldskater said is spot on. I've now got a "local" in Liverpool where the bar staff and regulars know me and what my choice of ale will be when I come in.

join a gym go at the same time at least you met people, there are walking & rambling groups around if you are religious go to church or start going to church you meet people there expand on your hobbies I took up radio hamming years ago and meet local people and also chat to people all round the world my mate used to go to the pub on regular days & regular times and you tend to meet people there you donot have to stay in the pub you could suggest a walk (not expensive) play card, or scrabble or go for a coffee somewhere

I've been between Manchester (living with friends) and Sheffield (living with parents) for the past 4-5 years. I work at home and so haven't met many people face to face to allow friendships to blossom.

Any ideas, because last time I was in Sheffield for 3 or 4 years the loneliness turned me into a socialphobe. Wasn't even myself round friends when I moved back to Manchester.

Now I'm back and I am determined to not fall into the same habit.

I have tons of interests but I'm shy. I'm not into throwing myself in the middle of a circle of people who all know each other. I just wanna meet some normal people who like to do stuff like go out camping in the summer, rock climbing, exploring, learning new things, driven...

My friends in Manchester, though they are lifelong friends, do nothing but sit around smoking weed. I haven't experienced a 'normal' circle of people in 24 years and it is driving me nuts.

Only recently unpacked my stuff so sorry if I'm late to reply to any answers. Appreciate any ideas.

Hi, it's not that there aren't people/groups will similar interests, it's just that you're shy. You're going to have to break the ice I'm afraid.

The key I suppose is to be yourself and meet people with the same interests.

My wife is from Cumbria and spent alot of time in social situations but always played up to what she expected she should be like to try and fit in. It's only recently that she's settled into a job and met real friends without having to adopt that pretence, and she seems much happier socially now than she ever was before.

I have very few friends who I socialize with. It's a mixture of me being more than happy to be alone and the fact that the only two people (other than my wife) I spend any time with are both as busy as me (and one lives in Berlin)!

So I would first decide what/who it is you want to spend your time with and then be yourself when building a relationship with those people.

Basically combine Mecky and RICKY BLAKE's answers and you'll be well away :)

We're having another singles night in April at the Wig & Pen in Sheffield. It's just a general social night and hardly anyone will know each other so everyone's in the same position!

If you fancy it it's the 19th April at 7.30pm. It's FREE!

PM me if you want any more info - I'll be there and will make sure you get chatting to someone.

Cathy

gigs and raves 8)

I'm the same though, can't think of anything worse that starting up conversations with people in the pub asking them to be my friend :(