Derelict old Hallam Towers hotel in Broomhill

I think one of the main problems that led to the closure of this building was that people from outside the city struggled to find it ,you have to remember this hotel was operating before the days of Sat Nav etc.

Its a shame that nothing has been done with it to date though -is it still owned by the Hagues ?

It took us ages to find it.. even though its bloody massive and you can see it from miles away, when your dobbing about on fulwood rd it seems to disappear in the trees like a mirage.

is the pool and stuff still intact? obviously it wont have water in but like is it still there?

Edited by ediesedgwick
errorrrrrrrrrrrrr

It took us ages to find it.. even though its bloody massive and you can see it from miles away, when your dobbing about on fulwood rd it seems to disappear in the trees like a mirage.

is the pool and stuff still intact? obviously it wont have water in but like is it still there?

I used to go swimming there every morning and I often think about that pool. It will be empty and I bet it is filling with rubble falling from the roof - a real tragedy.

I used to go swimming there every morning and I often think about that pool. It will be empty and I bet it is filling with rubble falling from the roof - a real tragedy.

The pool has been demolished, I never got to see it.

There are asbestos warnings all around the ground floor but these weren't up in January when the front door was wide open, you could literally walk straight in ;)

Guest makapaka
The pool has been demolished, I never got to see it.

There are asbestos warnings all around the ground floor but these weren't up in January when the front door was wide open, you could literally walk straight in ;)

If I had the money this would be bought and converted to flats in no time, don't know why the owners haven't done it, or why someone hasn't bought it to do the same.

Even if they were worried about selling them, they would be ideal as student lettings, the uni built loads a 100 yards up the road.

Why isn't it being redeveloped?

Is that company some sort of jinx? Do things they take over always end up derelict. :)

from personal experience I KNOW that company is bad news:mad:

It seems a crying shame that when Sheffield is aparently short of good hotel rooms that this once fantastic hotel (and I did go in a few times so I know how lovely it was) has not been renovated. Cannot the council take legal action on the owners to make them action thier responsabilities. It seems too easy these days to let things fall down when it costs a bit to do them up.

Cannot express how disappointed I was to read this thread - and then see the photos.

I left Sheffield in the mid-80's but up to then always viewed the Hallam Towers as a great place.

As a family we had many special dinners there 21'st, engagements etc. - the restauarant was superb

Always remembered at Christmas looking out of my sisters back window (she lived at the top of Abbey Lane at Woodseats) and seeing the Christmas Tree up the side of the building.

Several of my friends and business colleagues from out of town stayed there when visiting Sheff and all said what a great place it was, some more seasoned travelers saying it was up there as one of the great hotels (this was in the 70's)

.....and now........I guess its time I entered that Euro Lottery thingy and with the winnings buy the bloody place 'cus this has really upset me.

..and once again it would appear that dear old Sheff Council is letting a landmark building slip into a state where the only alternative soon will be to pull the thing down

Cannot express how disappointed I was to read this thread - and then see the photos.

I left Sheffield in the mid-80's but up to then always viewed the Hallam Towers as a great place.

As a family we had many special dinners there 21'st, engagements etc. - the restauarant was superb

Always remembered at Christmas looking out of my sisters back window (she lived at the top of Abbey Lane at Woodseats) and seeing the Christmas Tree up the side of the building.

Several of my friends and business colleagues from out of town stayed there when visiting Sheff and all said what a great place it was, some more seasoned travelers saying it was up there as one of the great hotels (this was in the 70's)

.....and now........I guess its time I entered that Euro Lottery thingy and with the winnings buy the bloody place 'cus this has really upset me.

..and once again it would appear that dear old Sheff Council is letting a landmark building slip into a state where the only alternative soon will be to pull the thing down

I totally agree I think there should be a donation or an appeal for this place to be bought and turned into a hotel again or something other than student accomatadions as there are to many student flats and accomadations in sheffield

Shame about the place. I have happy childhood memories of Anniversary/Birthday meals there. Although I seem to recall that it was a shocking place for getting zapped by static electricity on all those brushed steel/aluminium(?) hand rails on the stairs.

It seems a shocking waste of a fantastic location. I bet the view from the top floors is amazing.

I bet the view from the top floors is amazing.

They are indeed, had the pleasure of getting to the roof a few times now :P

Yes, that giant Christmas tree at the side of the hotel was a familiar sight to the whole of SW Sheffield and is greatly missed!