My Labrador has been attacked again

Not certain that there is much the police can do since dog on dog attacks do not fall under the 'dangerous dogs Act' unless you can prove that they or it is a danger to the public as well.

That's not the wording of the law. Dangerously out of control in a public place is the wording, which is different to being a danger to the public.

So you are telling me that I should just stand there and allow a dog to come running up to me when I have no idea what it's intentions are? For all I know it is about to bite my face off. I would much rather defend myself.

You are less likely to be bitten if you stand still than if you start throwing your arms and legs around. Dogs undertsnad body language and will take this to mean you are a threat to it so it will respond by either running away or attacking you.

If a dog comes upto you that you dont want around you, the best thing you can do is to calmly turn your back on it. It's wrong of the owner to allow it to do this but it is in your best interest to react this way.

I love dogs to bits. I'm not a dog owner, but if i were i welcome bringing back a licensing system i think it would sort lot of theses issues out. Most pet responsible pet owners have their animals chipped, the local council could used this chipping system to everyone's advantage as lots of data about dogs and their owners is already collected :) there is no Dog Walking Laws in Sheffield on any bread, as I once enquired after a unresposible young 14yr boy let is pit bull roam off into my garden and poor unsuspeciting cat got nearly eaten alive :( If local authorities brought in a dog walking act, I'm sure, we would all be having a debate about something else :)

Happy dogs, happy owners, happy owners, happy public :)

Ive seen it on more than 5 occasions where very young possibly 12 yrs old child is walking a 10st Rottweiler, even on a leash how can a child possibly control a dog of that size, if it decides it wants to eat another dog or cat :((

Common sense plays a big factor in all of his :)

Peace out xx :)

It's only my opinion and a suggestion

I believe 14 is the legal minimum but common sense should prevail. Below this age a child should be accompanied by an adult to walk a dog.

I had a rottweiler for years, im a responsible owner, the dog was brought up with all my children and was no problem to people or other dogs, when she passed away i got a pekingnese..good grief..nasty i had to shut it in the kitchen everytime somebody walked in, just goes to show, i think some dogs get persecuted because of their size and build. Im afraid some people still dont understand that a dog can be a danger if not under proper control.

I'm withou on this :)

I once petted a very cute little yorkie that belonged to my friend. It nearly chewed my hands off :( She was a very angry dog, we don't no why she just was. They would never let her off the leash in a park or public area. Going back to dog walking and being responsible. No matter how cute or fierce a dog is or looks, they can have grumpy days just like us. If owners love there dogs they would walk them in public areas on a leash.

That's not the wording of the law. Dangerously out of control in a public place is the wording, which is different to being a danger to the public.

I apologise, I went from memory, in my defence I have quoted word for word on another thread in the pet section :D

I believe 14 is the legal minimum but common sense should prevail. Below this age a child should be accompanied by an adult to walk a dog.

Exactly but they never are:(

Our four year old Lab has once again been attacked, last time it was the landlady of the Ridgeway Arms's Rottweilers whilst we sat in the pub garden.

This time after walker over the the fields at Ridgeway last night we came out behind the Wheel Pub at Mosborough a customers Staff Bull Terrier (not on a lead) shot out of the pub and attacked our dog.

This time we ended up with a £70 vets bill, why do people let dangerous dogs run free, our dog is the biggest softie going, be aware all dog walkers, when walking around Ridgeway keep your eyes peeled for these dogs.

This time I will be going to the police to try and get the vets bill paid by the owner !:mad:

here a handy tip for you AndyChef52

get a jiff lemon squeeze bottle or any squeeze bottle with a fine jet at the top

like hair colour bottle's ( but make sure its cleaned & washed well )to be honest these are the best ones for pin point accuracy

then after you've washed it put boiling water in to sterilize it

after you've done all this get several bottles of peppermint essence

& mix half the lemon juice with half peppermint essence

& you are ready to go

this is safe & will not hurt the dogs i have checked it out with my vet

if a dog comes at your dog all aggressive just give a couple of squirts at it

if it still insists do the same again

i promise you it will leave your dog alone i'm a guide dog owner & have used

this since my 1st guide dog was retired due to a aggressive dog attack

& i haven't looked back since

the dogs hate the smell & the ones that know me wont even come near

them because of the spray :):hihi:

I'm withou on this :)

I once petted a very cute little yorkie that belonged to my friend. It nearly chewed my hands off :( She was a very angry dog, we don't no why she just was. They would never let her off the leash in a park or public area. Going back to dog walking and being responsible. No matter how cute or fierce a dog is or looks, they can have grumpy days just like us. If owners love there dogs they would walk them in public areas on a leash.

i do agree

i have had no end of peoples small aggressive little dogs come at me & my guide dog

& when you question them on it all i get is what harm can it do well lets see if my GD was constantly annoyed by your dog it could end up resulting in it retired

because of you dog that is a bloody bully

the problem with a lot of people that own these sort of dogs ( not all )

is they sit them on their knees & just baby them & will not think its bad when

it snaps or grows at someone for coming in a room ,walking past a house . most

of the time they find it funny :huh:

fern was bittern by a little Yorkie because the women who owned it let it roam

round the estate & didn't like it when i squirted it with my spray

it did leave fern alone but then i got the witch from hell screaming at me

''its only a 4lb Yorkshire terrier its not going to hurt your dog if it bites her'' :rant:

so she must have thought it was ok to go round biting other peoples dogs :huh:

if that dog would have been a staff,rottie,gsd etc what would people have said ?

You are less likely to be bitten if you stand still than if you start throwing your arms and legs around. Dogs undertsnad body language and will take this to mean you are a threat to it so it will respond by either running away or attacking you.

If a dog comes upto you that you dont want around you, the best thing you can do is to calmly turn your back on it. It's wrong of the owner to allow it to do this but it is in your best interest to react this way.

Probably so, but I am not trained in dog handling and my personal initial instinct when anything runs at me and I feel that I am in danger, is to hand out a pre-emptive strike. My own mother was bitten by a dog that came running up to her and she stood still. That's not going to happen to me.

Probably so, but I am not trained in dog handling and my personal initial instinct when anything runs at me and I feel that I am in danger, is to hand out a pre-emptive strike. My own mother was bitten by a dog that came running up to her and she stood still. That's not going to happen to me.

I totally understand, and if it does bite then do whatever it takes to get away from it. My mum used to be terriefied of dogs, she has no idea why, but she is her own worst enemy. When she comes round to mine and the two great danes and cocker go to greet her (they love seeing my parents), she flaps her hands in the air trying to shoo them away. So bella starts kangarooing thinking a treat is going to fly her way any minute.

so few people are aware of basic canine body language and signals and they dont know how to act around dogs. i just think it would be better for them if they understood the basics. i have taught my mum a few things and she is more than happy to have the dogs around her now and skye occasionally tries to give her a kiss :hihi: but my mum is muc happier when she sees a dog now because she doesnt suffer from that horrible panic feeling.

she used to run away from dogs when she saw them! she never thought that was what caused them to chase her :rolleyes:

There's a general theme developing here that all dogs are innocent - and even when you get a dog that rips the guts out of your dog, or cat, or child, it's not really the dog's fault it's the owners fault.

There's a strong case then for letting dogs just be dogs and having the owners put down instead?

No, the owner may have been the cause of a dog being dangerous, but that doesn't mean a dog that's a danger to people shouldn't be put down. After all, no matter what the cause, it's still a dangerous dog.

It's very rare that a dog is born a psycho and out to kill for nothing. They do exist tho, I groomed one a couple of weeks ago, that savaged my husbands hands and arm. I think I have quite a good understanding of canine behaviour and I am good at recognising the signs. Most dogs will give you a warning if it has the intention of biting but this one just had a screw loose. there was no trigger to its aggression at all. I had muzzled it, as advised by the owner, but my husband was just stood with it at the grooming table while I got the bath ready and he hadnt been watching it close enough to realise it had pulled its muzzle off. it just went mental on him while he was just stood there doing nothing.

i took the dog back to its owner at that point (lives just a few doors down) and showed her what he had done to my husband so she was aware. i recommended seeking the vets advice about sedation for grooming purposes and she informed me that she was worried because he had started being aggressive to people on walks.

she called me later that day to say the vet had recommended I groom him on her garden while her husband stayed with me. - who in the right mind would reattempt to groom this dog on his own territory with someone they had never met and couldnt trust? and why put the dog through that when it would be kinder to have it sedated instead of getting so stressed out?

i also recommended she have him neutured. she said she wouldnt because he was a lovely dog from show lines......

.......................that will bite you at any chance it gets & she would want to breed from him why ?.......