Olympic Torch in Sheffield- megathread

Do you care about the olympic flame?  

358 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about the olympic flame?

• Yes - I will go to see it
    • Yes - I care but not enough to go to see it
    • No - Don't care

I saw it from opposite Ecclesfield Church,absolutely great back drop for pictures,

The atmosphere was brilliant and everyone was smiling and cheering at every truck lorry or police motorbike !

The police smiled and encouraged everyone to make as much noise as they could do ( a first on me lol)

Each lorry had good looking smiling girls on which for Sheffield can't be bad (lol)

Got some video and loads of photo's of the nice blonde lass and the flame as she passed,

Even though it lasted a few seconds this young man enjoyed the whole community spirit,

OK the zion games are costing a ridiculous amount,but in the big picture of money being stolen by the banks its nothing,

My family owned farms at Ecclesfield and my Granddad worked at the wmc on Church street for many years,I felt quite proud of our Village and its history having the torch come through was brilliant (even though it should've actually gone through the actual village instead of skirting the edge)

It was a good day for us all for a change :-)

Edited by SV500

I was in hunslet yesterday morning , the crowd was small 50 ish if that the atmosphere last night (yes I know it was latter in day) at cowley hill and in sheffield was great - well done sheffield

I didn't get to see the torch, but headed off home from Sheffield at 5.30 and it was great to see the crowds out in force down Netherthorpe and along Penistone Road, all smiling and having a good time.

If events like this can bring joy into people's lives for a few hours during these difficult times, then I'm all for it.

Regards

Doom

It was lovely outside Loch Fyne on Glossop Road. Not that many people there, so, we could just wander over during our meal and stand at the roadside. Torch went inches from us. My son loved it. The police were high-fiving the children, and people were giving out free bottles of coke. Sounds like it was a nightmare further down the road in Hunters Bar.

It was brilliant! I have never seen the whole community, all ages, all out on the streets having such a good time, sober!! A fantastic day, we had a street party and the kids absolutely loved it.

And yes, I am a parent and I let my little girl sit on my shoulders, so that she could see the Torchbearer that WE nominated! There was no way I was going to let her miss seeing someone she loves run with the Olympic torch. x

Sounds like it was a nightmare further down the road in Hunters Bar.

A nightmare? No, it was lovely.

Saw it at Barkers Pool.

Didn't think much to it coming beforehand - wasn't too fussed about going.

Glad I did - it was amazing!!

Anyone who hasn't seen it should get to Chesterfield on Friday.

And for those saddo's whining about parents (and who obviously don't have kids) - I had my kids taking turns on my shoulders. If that makes me arrogant then you can get stuffed. :thumbsup:

Went with Mrs GUZZI to watch it at Chapeltown ....Several Folk were watching out for John ( the Charity raising Guy who shoves a Pram ) ....A couple of Officials weren't sure whether he'd go down Cowley (towards Chap ) ...or Ecco Road ( towards the School ) ..Didn't see him but heard he was gonna be Wearing his White Tracksuit ....He ought to have been allowed to wear his Wig and shove his Pram .....He really is an 'Unsung Hero ' ...:)

Saw John on the bus as it went through Parson Cross and he was wearing his official white tracksuit but the familiar green wig was firmly in place.

Saw John on the bus as it went through Parson Cross and he was wearing his official white tracksuit but the familiar green wig was firmly in place.

Great guy, real asset.

I watched it going through Parsons Cross by Asda. It was a bit fleeting, the silly so-and-so was running!!!....So the actual torch was in sight for about 4 seconds!...Slightly disappointed.

Oh and for all you Parson Cross 'bashers'....I had my wallet in my pocket when I went down there, and still had it when I got home!!!!

Everyone was good natured and pleased that it came through there!

Edited by PeteMorris

Typically, after days of sarcasm, carping and pretending not to care about the Torch Relay, Sheffielders turn out in their droves, put on a great show and have a better time than anyone else, anywhere else! You just have to love the people in this City :)