Internet Presence

SarahD

Andy,

Had the same idea myself. Have you checked out the Kindle option? I registered some time ago in the expectation of publishing. It looks really easy, and your work becomes available on Amazon. I haven't used it yet because my university study has compromised things a little. Maybe other SWG members can add to this?

IR

I'm still a few months shy of completing the first chunk of my novel, so at the moment all effort - other than the occasional foray on here - is directed at trying to get some actual writing done... With baby demands and what have you, I've not made much progress since last summer. But yes, my intention was to publish essentially a pdf or kindle format version for nothing, although no research has gone in as yet.

The other thing worth saying is that I have a plan for a huge, sprawling epic novel that I'm still only part-way through the first section, so if it did get picked up then I'd still have plenty in reserve. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I had wrenched my guts to write a perfect, complete piece of literature to then give it away, particularly if I had nothing else left to write.

Andy

Thanks I've amended it now!

Any reason why you just want to put it on the internet for free? Have you been through all the regular channels first? You could always self-publish on kindle and smashwords for cheap. I did that with a novella and a few people have bought it. It was an awkward length for publication but I liked the story and wanted people to read it.

Or you could create a blog and post a little bit each week. It could attract a few followers if you promote using twitter or facebook.

No, I've not exhausted (nor indeed investigated) the traditional route. I suppose the reasons for that are what I mentioned previously about having plenty of material in reserve, and that anything free is inevitably more likely to be taken purely on chance, so to get more people reading it.

I don't see writing as a viable day-to-day job, in the sense that I couldn't and wouldn't write to order as friends of mine who are in that line of work do. I see it as a hobby - much like playing music - and therefore something I do as an amateur. If people like it enough for me to make a living doing it, so much the better, but it isn't the be-all and end-all for me.

I also have the creeping suspicion that what I do is both too specific to attract a general publisher, and too general to attract a genre publisher...

Andy

Andy,

There's another very important consideration that I recently became aware of. As part of my course, we have regular 'visiting' lectures from people within the publishing industry, advising upon how to get published. A recent lecture by literary agent from the firm Corville & Walsh was very illuminating, because someone asked about the optimum length of a first submission. her response was ( and I paraphrase) that if your manuscript is longer than about 120,000 words, then your chances of it being read by whatever agency that you submit it to are about nil.

She minced no words, and said that even submitting a modern 'War & Peace', as an unknown writer, was a complete waste of time. You may already know this, but I didn't.

IR