Beehives on Allotments

Does anyone keep a beehive on their allotment ?

Would be interested to find out how well they work and if they cause any problems.

if it's council site you need to talk to the allotment officers ... recall beehives & allotments as being a bit tricky

none on ours. have seen some on blogs about allotments in Sheffield, only wish I could remember so I could point you in the right direction. Whether they're council or private, you'd have to check for sure.

here's a link to free taster courses: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=948287

if it's council site you need to talk to the allotment officers ... recall beehives & allotments as being a bit tricky

You are allowed to keep bees on council allotmnets with the agreement of the allotment officer. I did attempt to stop this happening in my time on the AAG but as usual was roundly ignored by the council officers. You also have to promiise to keep an eppi pen on site.. what earthly good this would do if you arent around I dont know, but seems it was the only concession needed for safety.

You are also not allowed to sell any honey or use any honey produced as a profitmaking scheme which is in ine with allotment policy

You are allowed to keep bees on council allotmnets with the agreement of the allotment officer. I did attempt to stop this happening in my time on the AAG but as usual was roundly ignored by the council officers. You also have to promiise to keep an eppi pen on site.. what earthly good this would do if you arent around I dont know, but seems it was the only concession needed for safety.

You are also not allowed to sell any honey or use any honey produced as a profitmaking scheme which is in ine with allotment policy

Really :rolleyes:

Yes you can keep them on allotments, subject to certain conditions. We have them on our site, they were roundly welcomed - including by one person who was allergic them, and carried her own epi pen... As MC55 says contact the allotment office for the correct info.

Really :rolleyes:

Yes you can keep them on allotments, subject to certain conditions. We have them on our site, they were roundly welcomed - including by one person who was allergic them, and carried her own epi pen... As MC55 says contact the allotment office for the correct info.

sorry Rob... I helped to write the policy on bee kkeeping on allotments so I know what I'm talking about.. I was formerly president of the SALGF and sat on AAG for 3 terms so you can pretty much assume I'm correct in my advice. Unless of course the allotment department are ignoring advice and policy, which they do often if it suits them

Guest sibon
sorry Rob... I helped to write the policy on bee kkeeping on allotments so I know what I'm talking about.. I was formerly president of the SALGF and sat on AAG for 3 terms so you can pretty much assume I'm correct in my advice. Unless of course the allotment department are ignoring advice and policy, which they do often if it suits them

The Sheffield Allotment Handbook makes no mention of an epi pen.

The Sheffield Allotment Handbook makes no mention of an epi pen.

Because the handbook was published before policy on bees was agreed on so didnt make mention of it.. Allotment Advisory notes should be available from the council website though as they are official council meetings held every quarter

Because the handbook was published before policy on bees was agreed on so didnt make mention of it.. Allotment Advisory notes should be available from the council website though as they are official council meetings held every quarter

and this btw is the very reason I no longer stand in my previous positions.. policies written and ignored which makes life difficult for those who actually answer the questions.. notice there are no council representatives on sheffield forum at all.. and I know for a fact that those responsible for implementing policy ignore this forum totally.

Erm, aren't epi pens prescribed?

and this btw is the very reason I no longer stand in my previous positions.. policies written and ignored which makes life difficult for those who actually answer the questions.. notice there are no council representatives on sheffield forum at all.. and I know for a fact that those responsible for implementing policy ignore this forum totally.

The allotment office use this very forum. OK not that often, but they've responded to a number of queries on here recently.

I've always had excellent responses from both Ceri & Michael when I've contacted them directly. Why would anyone expect them to endlessly review forums on the offchance that someone has directed something to them ? If you need to contact them you can telephone or email - details on the council site.

then you must have been at the Fed meeting where bees were discussed with Michael. The council had a list of requirements that had to be met however I don't recall Michael saying that an epi-pen had to be kept on site ? I thought they were only available from your doctor for 'personal' use.

Am sure Michael or Ceri will be able to help the OP if they are interested in pursuing further.