Aspartame (Nutri-Sweet and other artifical sweetners)

Originally posted by JoeP

I'm not sure whether it's methanol itself that causes the problem - there are other storage and breakdown by products that might have biological effects.

Damn that Bristol University Chemisty Department and their sly inclusion of a pro-aspartame academic as an author for their 'Molecule of the Month' articles.

Still, I think the Bristol article is a fairly innocuous summary of the biochemical properties of aspartame. It isn't a research article. I quoted it for its reference to methanol, as you mentioned it specifically as the third breakdown product of aspartame.

[Edited to make my comments more relevent to JoeP's post.]

Originally posted by ppn_2204

The form of mercury in vaccines is not the toxic form. It is not the same as the mercury which contaminates fish and the environment (ethylmercury vs methylmercury).

See the thread about TB for references.

All types of Mercury are toxic. But yes you are correct Methy is more toxic than Ethyl. I know it is not the same, it is still neuro-toxic and very, very dangerous in large doses.

Mercury from the enviroment and from other sources build up in the body, it takes time for them to be excreated. In Autistic Children it takes even longer for them to be purged from the body.

Originally posted by wayne72

I have been drinking "Diet Coke" and looking back, I find whenever I drink lots of "Diet Coke" the worse these symptons get. Is there a connection? Or am I just looking for one?

Caffeine is far more likely to be causing the ectopic heartbeats if you're drinking Diet Coke.

Originally posted by Twiglet

Caffeine is far more likely to be causing the ectopic heartbeats if you're drinking Diet Coke. It

I was going to say, sounds like classic caffeine poisoning.

"Ectopic Heartbeats". Panic Attacks, Nausea, Bloating Stomache, Fatigue, Depression, Burning Urine, Dizziness, Palpitations, Breathlessness amongst many. I was shocked!!! to say the least.

I have been drinking "Diet Coke" and looking back, I find whenever I drink lots of "Diet Coke" the worse these symptons get. Is there a connection?

Caffeine Poisoning and “Caffeinism”

Caffeine poisoning, also called caffeinism, is a condition caused by the continuous ingestion of excessive amounts of caffeine. Symptoms include restlessness, anxiety, increased urination, and the inability to sleep. General depression, rapid heartbeat, tremors, and nausea are also symptoms. Death may occur from heart and lung collapse. But don't panic just yet. The fatal dose is estimated to be 10 grams, the equivalent of 100 cups of coffee! The recommended limit of caffeine for healthy adults is <300 mg/day.

With reference to the initial list of potential side effects from aspartame, I used to promote one of the market placebo formulations for use in clinical trials (you need a placebo so that trial subjects don't know whether they're taking the active drug or not).

On the data sheet of this placebo, all side effects reported during initial testing of the formaulation have to be reported. There were over 50 of them, up to and including death, which was pretty impressive for an inert pill. The death was listed by law, even though it occurred incidentally and not as a result of taking the pill. The rest of the self reported side effects show the power of the placebo effect on the human brain.

I'm not trying to suggest that any side effect list is dubious, but that it needs to be seen in context of the power of human suggestion, and also needs to be cross analysed with the possibility that other dietary or medical products that are being taken concomitantly could be partially or wholly the cause of these symptoms.

Wayne72, I would suggest getting some caffeine free coke and seeing if the frequency of ectopics decreases. It certainly sounds like caffeine could be playing a part of your symptoms.

Diet Coke contains 45.6 mg/350ml or 130mg/l

so two litres would take you to you RDA if you didn't have anything else with caffeine in.

I am diabetic, so, unless I was going into a hypo, the full-sugared pop is no good for me.

I detest the taste of Saccharine, i think it's vile.

I don't usually drink a lot of alcohol, but i tend to go for gin and slimline tonic, if i do have an alcohol-based drink.

I don't like to booze a lot, because I need to be careful about my blood-sugar levels. I stick to soft drinks, like diet coke, or equivalent, if i'm out,

The aspartame-"sweetened" drinks such as diet coke etc, taste much more pleasant than the ones with saccharine based sweeteners.

PT

I just avoid anything with additives in it if possible just to be on the safe side.

Its quite easy to buy products that are based on "normal" ingredients these days especially if you cook most things from scratch and avoid processed foods.

To me its just common sense. I want to eat fresher healthier foods and theres no need to eat things that are rammed full of E numbers, artifical sweeteners, hydrogenised fats and other such crap... all of which have dubious effects on our bodies and are generally there to cut manufacture costs or make the product lo-cal or lo-fat.

I buy organic as much as possible and these products tend to be as additive free as they can be.

Besides I hate the taste of artifical sweeteners... give me the full fat, full sugar version anyday! :thumbsup:

I agree with your sentiments, Anne23. I too would rather have fresh foods, full fat, full sugar versions and organic if possible. Our ancestors thousands of years ago didn't have the additives often in modern food and it seems to me likely that our bodies evolved suited to un-additived food...(o:

Vile stuff, just like all artificial sweeteners. They all taste yukky. Stick to the natural stuff ie sugar.

I don't buy any drinks or food containing any artificial sweeteners at all.

Originally posted by Anne23

I just avoid anything with additives in it if possible just to be on the safe side.

Its quite easy to buy products that are based on "normal" ingredients these days especially if you cook most things from scratch and avoid processed foods.

To me its just common sense. I want to eat fresher healthier foods and theres no need to eat things that are rammed full of E numbers, artifical sweeteners, hydrogenised fats and other such crap... all of which have dubious effects on our bodies and are generally there to cut manufacture costs or make the product lo-cal or lo-fat.

I buy organic as much as possible and these products tend to be as additive free as they can be.

Besides I hate the taste of artifical sweeteners... give me the full fat, full sugar version anyday! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately organic food tends to be more expensive. Fresh ingredients are also more expensive than buying prepared meals when you live alone and have no freezer. They also require shopping every couple of days and preparation time which is often unrealistic for those of us who work long hours.

Originally posted by Twiglet

Unfortunately organic food tends to be more expensive. Fresh ingredients are also more expensive than buying prepared meals when you live alone and have no freezer. They also require shopping every couple of days and preparation time which is often unrealistic for those of us who work long hours.

Makes you wonder how we lived before the Oil age!