Makes Me So Mad

I'm puzzled with people that get an additional dog only to discover that it develops a problem with their current pet and the decision is to ship the original pet off :huh:

It happens all the time with cats as well, how much time does it take to look after a cat for goodness sake. Recent postings on the forum have mentioned ten year old cats being got rid of because of work commitments, then they go on to mention holidays, bingo, pub. But top of the list is as you so rightly say,Parky, is pregnancy. I despair for humanity, or lack of it. These animals must wonder what they've done wrong.

I'm puzzled with people that get an additional dog only to discover that it develops a problem with their current pet and the decision is to ship the original pet off :huh:

if you mean me it was the one that was rescued that was rehomed my original boy is still here

if you mean me it was the one that was rescued that was rehomed my original boy is still here

No, it wasn't a reference to you sorry for the confusion, it's aimed at anyone who turfs the original pet out in favour of the newbie.

No, it wasn't a reference to you sorry for the confusion, it's aimed at anyone who turfs the original pet out in favour of the newbie.

ahh fair enough sorry i just thought maybe my post wasnt clear enough sorry for the confusion

Much better that the owner realises that they cannot manage, or that they have lost interest, and attempt to re-home the animal than neglecting or abandoning it.

We got our dog from someone who was finding it difficult to manage....she is well-loved and we still visit, and get visits from, her original family who were devastated to lose her.

Much better that the owner realises that they cannot manage, or that they have lost interest, and attempt to re-home the animal than neglecting or abandoning it.

We got our dog from someone who was finding it difficult to manage....she is well-loved and we still visit, and get visits from, her original family who were devastated to lose her.

That is true, my OH had to rehome a puppy many years ago because he took two brother lurcher puppies home and after a while realised that it was a really bad mistake, they were causing absolute mayhem being together and were impossible to deal with.

He kept one and homed one with someone else. Both had long and happy lives (the rehomed one was actually the subject of a thread on here quite recently when someone came on to say he had sadly died, my OH was very sad to hear of it, the one he kept had to be pts a couple of years ago).

In that case it was better for both dogs and owner that one was rehomed.

I wouldn't dismiss all the 'no time' excuses either, if someone has a family break up or someone has dies/become ill then the remaining person may well find themselves with genuinely no time for a dog. They don't necessarily want to post their whole life story on here though so may just say 'I have no time'.

Don't really agree with that for cats though as they take about 5 mins a day to look after and are usually quite happy on their own for long periods.

It happens all the time with cats as well, how much time does it take to look after a cat for goodness sake. Recent postings on the forum have mentioned ten year old cats being got rid of because of work commitments, then they go on to mention holidays, bingo, pub. But top of the list is as you so rightly say,Parky, is pregnancy. I despair for humanity, or lack of it. These animals must wonder what they've done wrong.

Well said, whilst there is a lot of loving/caring pet owners out there, there are far to many who just couldn't care less.....

Ok there are some genuine reasons,circumstances change i know that,however some excuses are beyond belief....

Give me animals anyday......

How about todays example? :rant:

"Im selling a litter of puppies, but the remaining one (from my poor brooder bitch, who's probably never had a puppy free season) from the last batch is now causing me problems, so i'll advertise him too!!!!"

:rant:

When will people learn that dogs/cats/rabbits are not breeding machines, and that a good proportion of the pups they breed for an extra income will end up either in a pound/rescue or worse!!

I currently have the most adorable whippet cross boy living with me in foster care, as someone couldn't be bothered to train him, or correct any of his behaviour.

He is slowly learning how to be a dog (at approx. 18 months is still very much displaying puppy behaviour) and all it takes is a little time! I work a 10 hour shift with an hours commute each way, and yet still manage to have 3 happy, healthy dogs, 2 cats and a handful of exotics! :loopy:

How about todays example? :rant:

"Im selling a litter of puppies, but the remaining one (from my poor brooder bitch, who's probably never had a puppy free season) from the last batch is now causing me problems, so i'll advertise him too!!!!"

:rant:

When will people learn that dogs/cats/rabbits are not breeding machines, and that a good proportion of the pups they breed for an extra income will end up either in a pound/rescue or worse!!

I currently have the most adorable whippet cross boy living with me in foster care, as someone couldn't be bothered to train him, or correct any of his behaviour.

He is slowly learning how to be a dog (at approx. 18 months is still very much displaying puppy behaviour) and all it takes is a little time! I work a 10 hour shift with an hours commute each way, and yet still manage to have 3 happy, healthy dogs, 2 cats and a handful of exotics! :loopy:

The bold part is rather unfair Krush, we certainly don't know that to be true at all...the rest I have to agree with though.

Its happening more and more,its always the excuse they are selling for a friend or relative that cant cope,but if you look on their post history it reveals all.

Litter after litter for sale in as many months.

The bold part is rather unfair Krush, we certainly don't know that to be true at all...the rest I have to agree with though.

Yes the bold part may not be quite correct, as if its the one I'm thinking it is, that person breeds a lot of one type of dog, and the one for sale was a different breed.