Makes Me So Mad

ParkyJ

i agree & sometimes it can be sorted out & then sometimes it can't

things like this are different

after we lost Major our GSD years ago we decided to get another GSD puppy

but made the terrible mistake of getting him from a scrap yard both mum & & dad

was very keen guard dogs witch didn't bother us but what we didn't expect was for

it to come through in the puppy he was terribly keen & was quite growley with

the kids they never tormented him i never allowed anything like that he got very

possessive with his toys,food anything that was his we relay tried to sort this

problem out if i had known what i know with dogs now i know i would have done

things differently

but when he kept growling at our 2 year old for just walking past him we just

felt like we couldn't trust him so we looked for a new home for him & found him

the perfect home with a couple that was in the army & wanted a dog for army work

they was very clued up with Sheppard's & loved him from the moment they saw him

& went away very happy it made us feel good knowing he went to someone who

could handle him but still felt guilty for getting him in the 1st place we should have known

we made the mistake of thinking he would be like our Major & he wasn't :confused:

at least yours was a valid reason though, i'm sick of seeing 'no time for him/her' etc. gumtree is the worst offender for these types of ads, i don't know why i look because i know it will rile me!

half of the time it's just because the dog needs a little training and a little work putting in and people can't be bothered when they know that,

i'm sure some expect the puppies to come all ready to go, no weeing or pooing in house, that he/she will be as good as gold. thats not how it happens, it's worrying the fact these dogs on gumtree etc can go to just anyone, and the poor dog is totally helpless in all of this.

i have had to rehome 2 dogs first one she was one i rescued and she went nuts and turned on one of my original dogs, she wouldnt let him eat, drink, or go to the toilet so she was given to a family without pets and she ended up being a lovely family pet.

second one was passed on to my step dad she was handed over to me by a woman who was pregnant and could not cope with her, i later found out i was 2 and at the time had 2 of my own. my dad took her because we were basically homeless im glad he did because she has had a lovely life with him and shes his best friend.

now iv got 3 dogs and 2 toddlers, my oh is out of work so we are struggeling but the dogs are going nowhere

It happens all the time with cats as well, how much time does it take to look after a cat for goodness sake. Recent postings on the forum have mentioned ten year old cats being got rid of because of work commitments, then they go on to mention holidays, bingo, pub. But top of the list is as you so rightly say,Parky, is pregnancy. I despair for humanity, or lack of it. These animals must wonder what they've done wrong.

I'm puzzled with people that get an additional dog only to discover that it develops a problem with their current pet and the decision is to ship the original pet off :huh:

if you mean me it was the one that was rescued that was rehomed my original boy is still here

Much better that the owner realises that they cannot manage, or that they have lost interest, and attempt to re-home the animal than neglecting or abandoning it.

We got our dog from someone who was finding it difficult to manage....she is well-loved and we still visit, and get visits from, her original family who were devastated to lose her.

Much better that the owner realises that they cannot manage, or that they have lost interest, and attempt to re-home the animal than neglecting or abandoning it.

We got our dog from someone who was finding it difficult to manage....she is well-loved and we still visit, and get visits from, her original family who were devastated to lose her.

That is true, my OH had to rehome a puppy many years ago because he took two brother lurcher puppies home and after a while realised that it was a really bad mistake, they were causing absolute mayhem being together and were impossible to deal with.

He kept one and homed one with someone else. Both had long and happy lives (the rehomed one was actually the subject of a thread on here quite recently when someone came on to say he had sadly died, my OH was very sad to hear of it, the one he kept had to be pts a couple of years ago).

In that case it was better for both dogs and owner that one was rehomed.

I wouldn't dismiss all the 'no time' excuses either, if someone has a family break up or someone has dies/become ill then the remaining person may well find themselves with genuinely no time for a dog. They don't necessarily want to post their whole life story on here though so may just say 'I have no time'.

Don't really agree with that for cats though as they take about 5 mins a day to look after and are usually quite happy on their own for long periods.

It happens all the time with cats as well, how much time does it take to look after a cat for goodness sake. Recent postings on the forum have mentioned ten year old cats being got rid of because of work commitments, then they go on to mention holidays, bingo, pub. But top of the list is as you so rightly say,Parky, is pregnancy. I despair for humanity, or lack of it. These animals must wonder what they've done wrong.

Well said, whilst there is a lot of loving/caring pet owners out there, there are far to many who just couldn't care less.....

Ok there are some genuine reasons,circumstances change i know that,however some excuses are beyond belief....

Give me animals anyday......